LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Turbocache

Mr B

Hi to all

I have a question i have a dell inspiron 1720 met 8600m gt 256 mb 1075 turbocache

and 2 gb of ram.

Now i have question i want to buy 2 gb extra for my laptop now will that make a difference on my performance ? and what with turbocache ?

Also when gta4 comes out he needs 512mb GPU RAM, can i up the ram for my GPU then ? or not ? is this a wise disicion ?

3 and last Turbocache on or off with 4GB ? i have read a lot on off on off but what ?

I appreciate it if you will hep me out ! :) :)

I think i can offer you some advice.

My system came with turbocache but when i removed it and put it back in i didnt notice any loss or gain. did a few tests and nothing changed. I guess if you are swapping the same file again you might. But like i said i didnt notie anything.

As for ram.. i went from 2gb to 3gb and noticed a significant improvement. 4gb im not too sure about... and if you are running 32-bit structure then you will need to enable some functions for your OS to be able to see and use the whole 4gb. But this also makes the whole system run a fraction slower. If it were me id just go for 3gb. 1X 2Gb and 1X 1Gb. cheaper as you can keep one of your 1Gb dimms.

GPU ram i am afraid is stuck. Dell do not offer MXM or slots, their grafix card GPU's are built in. Some BIOS enable you to change/ add more but that takes if off your memory. and this does not actually give any gain.

I think i can offer you some advice.

My system came with turbocache but when i removed it and put it back in i didnt notice any loss or gain. did a few tests and nothing changed. I guess if you are swapping the same file again you might. But like i said i didnt notie anything.

As for ram.. i went from 2gb to 3gb and noticed a significant improvement. 4gb im not too sure about... and if you are running 32-bit structure then you will need to enable some functions for your OS to be able to see and use the whole 4gb. But this also makes the whole system run a fraction slower. If it were me id just go for 3gb. 1X 2Gb and 1X 1Gb. cheaper as you can keep one of your 1Gb dimms.

GPU ram i am afraid is stuck. Dell do not offer MXM or slots, their grafix card GPU's are built in. Some BIOS enable you to change/ add more but that takes if off your memory. and this does not actually give any gain.

Thank you, so for the 4gb i will need 64 Bit , and you say this will slower my pc ? why ? you have 4GB + 64 Bit infrastructure !

I cant add more to my gpu in my bios, no options , but isnt there any program or something ??

Already much thanks !!

1) More Question is there somehting like dual channel for laptops :) xD ?

Thx !

I have 64-bit XP and 4gb RAM, and my system is just as fast (and faster, in a few cases) as before when I had 3gb RAM.

I have 64-bit XP and 4gb RAM, and my system is just as fast (and faster, in a few cases) as before when I had 3gb RAM.

did you had 3gb and xp 64bit before also ??

But in my case with turbocache , then i have3 GB certainly for working and gaming and 1GB that he can take for my GPU ?

not ?

I have used both 32- and 64-bit variants of XP with 3gb of RAM. My performance was slightly greater in the 64-bit version. Besides, I think the speed decreases Wook is talking about come from enabling PAE on a 32-bit system to gain access to higher memory areas. 64-bit OSes do not have this problem.

Mr B -- to actually use 4 GB of installed memory you MUST use a 64-bit operating system. 32-bit systems are unable to use all 4 GB because the chipset must use a large portion of the uppermost address space to allow access to the various hardware components. The memory is of course there, but it is not acessable to the operating system and applications. 64-bit operating systems don't have this problem. With chipsets which are able to function in this mode, the hardware component address are pushed up well above the 4 GB level, allowing the OS and applications to see and use, the whole 4 GB. Hope that makes things clearer. As for the graphic card as wook said, their memory base can't be changed.

With regard to the speeds of 32- versus 64-bit systems ---- it usually all boils down to how effective the chipset happens to be in the respective mode. Sometimes 64-bit applications can perform more 'work' with the same CPU effort, depending entirely on how they are coded [i'm a software engineer :) ].

like Michael and Darmdorf said, 64 bit structure will be no slower than 32.

If you want to use 32 bit and 4gb of ram, then you can but have to enable the Physical Address Extension . This parameter directs the system to load the PAE version of the Windows kernel. PAE is an addressing strategy that uses a page-translation hierarchy to enable systems that have 32-bit addressing to address more than 4 GB.

But doing this will make it see a little slower. The /3GB switch can cause some applications to have problems that are related to address dependencies or to a reduction in kernel space.

Bottom line: if you have 4GB of RAM in your system (or more), and you want to take full advantage of it, start using a 64-bit OS.

Here is a detailed description on what to do by microsoft if you want to stay with 32-bit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988

Correct me if im wrong guys : )

thank you all for your replies :P :) :) :P :rofl:

, and what do you think what i have to do with turbocache in both cases (3GB , 4GB)

1) Question i used xp64bit on a machine 2years ago, but it was crappy there wasnt a lot of software designed for it and so , does someone know if this is the case now, and what with games ?

i would just leave turbo cache alone. what ever you are using is fine...

64-bit is slowly being used more and more, and will eventually be the normal bit structure of OS. Almost every application will run fine, and games are getting better to. all new ones should work well. if not then patches will become available eventually.