LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fullscreen movies problem | 8400M

Lechu

I changed on my laptop system from vista to XP. Everything is ok, but when I'm watching any kind of video in fullscreen (xvid, youtube) and the 'action' is faster the picture looks like that:

59068521td8.jpg

you can see here only that line, but during watching it looks terrible.

I tried many drivers (the freshest, the most recommended) and still the same :) on vista it was working just fine.

HP Pavilion dv6530ew: Intel Core2Duo T5450, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8400M GS 512MB

any suggestions? thanks in advance

Edited by Lechu

That's called tearing. It occurs when the video image is not properly synced to the display refresh. Some people have problems with playing videos without tearing when VMR9 is on, so you can try turning it off. If you use Windows Media Player, just right click on the title bar, and go to Tools>Options on the context menu. Then, go to the "Performance" tab and click the "Advanced" button. Under both "Video Acceleration" and "DVD Video" you will find the options for Overlays and VMR. Try selecting "Use Overlays" for both of them. If this does not work, then disable "Use Video Mixing Renderer" altogether. When you are using YouTube or another online flash video system of the sort, there is nothing you can do about tearing, because the Flash video decoder does not operate at a low enough level within the system to detect when the system is drawing to the screen.

i use mediaplayer classic 6.4.9.1 then use VMR 7.0 or 9.0 and it has no tearing at all. (using 176.37 WHQL)

Plus the quality is better than media player and VLC player also. may want to give that a try.

Are the videos you are playing web videos (like Flash) or files?

web flash and avi, mkv...

i use mediaplayer classic 6.4.9.1 then use VMR 7.0 or 9.0 and it has no tearing at all. (using 176.37 WHQL)

Plus the quality is better than media player and VLC player also. may want to give that a try.

I tried with 6.4.0.9 and it's quite better, but still when scenes changes faster I'm getting similar problem.

With the flash videos, it is not going to be any better. The flash player cannot tell when the monitor is refreshing, therefore it cannot avoid the tearing. You might have escaped it in Vista simply because the DWM is vsynced.

did you try the different output settings? like renderless or overlay as michael suggested?

For me overlay is not an option as its very poor quality.