LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GS Clocks not changing when gaming

Drklght

I just got a new HP DV9743 Laptop with:

T7250 2.0ghz

3GB RAM DDR2 667mhz

320HD

8600M GS 512mb DDR2

I just unistalled the stock drivers which where the 174.xx driver which i don't remeber clearly. I then rebooted the PC into safe mode and ran driver sweeper. After that I installed the 177.98 drivers with the modded INF from here. All went fine until I started testing some games. I noticed from Rivatuner that the clocks did not change to my 3D perfomance clocks when ingame. By this I mean that the Core remained at 182mhz and the memory at 400mhz while it should of gone up to 500mhz and 800mhz respectively.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Thanks in advance

Then you should change your driver version (to 177.92) or disable powermizer. The former seems to be a better solution though.

Make sure in the Control Panel your Power Option is set to high performamce.

I fiddled with it a bit, now the clock changes. However I noticed that the clocks are all not where they should be. In rivatuner, i set the 2D normal clocks to 168mhz core and 100mhz memory. However the actual reading from rivatuner is 182mhz and 400mhz memory. The gaming clocks should be at 500mhz core and 400mhz memory, but the actual clocks are at 540mhz core and 100mhz memory?

I tried various drivers already (167.26, 177.92, 177.98) but all of them are yielding the same results.

Does anyone know whats going on?

The power setting is set to High performance.

Please help

Looks like your Powermizer is turned on.

Go on google and look for a program called Powermizerswitch. D/l it and turn it off. It will stop your GPU downclocking to cool itself down and to save power.

Thanks for the reply,

However if my laptop is downclocking to cool itself, then why is the memory clock at 400mhz (DDR2) during normal desktop use, when its supposed to be at 100mhz?

Strange.

Mine stays at 100Mhz when in destop. Not sure about that. Did turning off Powermizer work btw?

Haven't got the chance to try it yet. I sent it yesterday back to the retailer for them to analyse it. Hopefully I'll get a new replacement