LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Anyone have a Gateway F-7811FX

wook

Just wondering if anyone has this machine. If you do would you mind writing its pros and cons. Thinking about buying this unit.

9800m GTS is its draw card for me.

Thanks.

Guest tech_5.0

One of my budies just bought one, it looks great and the graphics card runs cool. the screen resolution is superb, but will reduce performance in games (1920X1200). Boot up time is not bad. If you can get it for under $1500, it would be a steal. If I could afford one, I would buy one too.

One of my budies just bought one, it looks great and the graphics card runs cool. the screen resolution is superb, but will reduce performance in games (1920X1200). Boot up time is not bad. If you can get it for under $1500, it would be a steal. If I could afford one, I would buy one too.

As i understand it some aspects of my XPS 1530 will be better. like bluetooth and core 2 duo vs' centrento 2.

On the other hand the 9800 GTS vs' the 8600 GT. If only it was a GTX.

Core 2 Duo and Centrino are completely different things. Core 2 Duo is the processor name, where Centrino is the name of the platform, which contains Intel processor, northbridge, southbridge, and WiFi card. If you had ordered your XPS with the Intel 3945 or 4965 adapters, then it would have been a Centrino.

so you can get centreno that has a core 2 duo processor?

Plus - Michael... you know a hell of a lot more about computer components that i do. Seem like a good laptop? cheers.

so you can get centreno that has a core 2 duo processor?

Yes. Almost all, if not all, Centrino-branded computers come with Core 2 Duo processors. And this PC does look like a good one. However, what is wrong with your XPS M1530?

have had 3 motherboards replaced in the past 2 months. And the issue of temperature and system shutdows is not going away.

Plus if 1066 FSB will be good to have as well as DDR3 memory. Just want a newer, faster system.

Actually, I was going to buy that system. Very nice, well priced. However, I decided since i gained some more space in my room, I am going to choose a gaming desktop instead for the same price, or a little less( hand built).

GPU: Dual XFX Nvidia 9600gt alpha dog edition

CPU:Q6600 Intel Quad core @2.4 ghz 8mb l2 cache.

Motherboard:Nforce 680i sli.

4gb corsair ddr2-800 ram.

Going to keep my laptop for less intensive tasks.

But a gaming laptop is really nice to have though

I see there is one on Trademe, from smartchoose, you seen this as well ?

Not a bad looking machine.

I was tempted to get a Qosmio F50 till I discovered the Aus/NZ models only come with 9600M GT's not other markets 9700M GTS's

yeah that the one Pieter.... hes the same guy i bought my XPS off. Brand new, full warantee, etc. Good guy to deal with too and very good price. Have asked him to get me one in.

Often look at his gear, he has nice stuff.

Funnily enough the Gateway F-7811FX is in the Dell section where I keep an eye on

My Gateway Solo 9550 that started this modded INF craze (Geforce 2go) lasted me 4 years and sold it on Trademe and could still be in service today

Getting parts for it might not be easy as Gateway is not in NZ (used to be with Warehouse Stationary)

Ah I see Trung has named the laptop wrong it's really a P-7811FX with specs here

yeah.. i e-mailed him last week and asked if he was sure about i being a F-7811FX.

He didnt answer that question, and also didnt answer my question about warantee issues. guess i'll find out when i pick it up. or leave it behind.. haha.. see what happens.

I'd say if something does go wrong with the laptop then off to South Dakota it goes

I had to send mine back for repair took a few weeks but was fixed (MB issue)

hmm... that is concerning. Laptops always have issues. Especially since this has the G94 Nvidia chip.

All things to remember when stuff comes from overseas.

Mind you all my laptops have come from the US including my i9400/E1705

So far the i9400 has been issue free for 2 years now.

yes indeed. May have to stick with my own contacts. toshiba qosmio x300 may be my only choice or Asus G70s. Ideas?

asus has MXM sli so can always upgrade the video. Buy only 800 FSB where as the toshiba has 1066. Oh such delhema! haha

I would have been partial to the Qosmio F50 if only the Aus/NZ model came with the 9700M GTS

Yeah and they are stuck with that card too. The rep bought one to work, and was quite a quick machine, but looked and felt a little umm... flimsy. Easy to scratch and break. That and the video card is why i'm leaning towards the asus G70. Only has the 8700 GT SLi, but is MXM so can upgrade in the future.

What i have read I am right in this assumption about MXM??.

Guess i will lean how to get the best out of this beast like i did my XPS. If i go through with it.

anyway thanks for all the replies. Good conversing with ya again Pieter

EDIT: I'll check with the toshiba guy and see if he has any samples with the 9700GT GPU. sometimes they give samples away. especially on big orders.

Yeah and they are stuck with that card too. The rep bought one to work, and was quite a quick machine, but looked and felt a little umm... flimsy. Easy to scratch and break. That and the video card is why i'm leaning towards the asus G70. Only has the 8700 GT SLi, but is MXM so can upgrade in the future.

What i have read I am right in this assumption about MXM??.

Guess i will lean how to get the best out of this beast like i did my XPS. If i go through with it.

anyway thanks for all the replies. Good conversing with ya again Pieter

EDIT: I'll check with the toshiba guy and see if he has any samples with the 9700GT GPU. sometimes they give samples away. especially on big orders.

MxM does not mean upgrade.

9x00M's are PCIe 2.0

8x00M's are PCIe 1.x and hence it may work but it won't be to full ability.

Also ASUS MxM cards are VERY hard to find

Dell are probably best for upgrading.

The i9400/XPS1710 have a few GPU's that fit and can be upgraded, ie my i9400 has the go7900GS but I can also put in a Quadro 3500M/go7950GTX

Clevo based machines also have this but less availability of the cards and very expensive because of it.

So when you buy a laptop don't expect to upgrade to much more than when you bought it.

So the F50 is flimsy, hmm, need something tough as my i9400 is looking very battered on the outside :)

But sample computers reviewed here are always welcomed :)

so i may be able to upgrade an 8700 mxm card to an 8800? but not to an 9800 for example?

Spoke to jeremy /toshiba rep. and he said will be after xmass that he can give one away or lose one.. haha. let ya know

If anybody is still interested, I'm typing this from a P-7811 FX, and I love it. I haven't got anything super bleeding edge to really test it with (been playing a lot of ~6-12 month old Source engine games), but what I've thrown at it so far has been smooth as butter. It runs a tiny bit hot when actively gaming, but not so much that I can't stand to have it on my bare legs. It's also pretty quiet even then, and when I'm doing less-intensive stuff like web browsing and video watching, it's cool and whisper-quiet. I don't love the slightly garish orange accents and lights, but otherwise the style is nice, and the case feels pretty sturdy. I wouldn't pitch it down a flight of stairs, but already my toddler has knocked it off the table onto carpet a few times with no ill effects.

I know it's not a lot of concrete information, but if you have any questions you can ask and I'll try to answer.

Thanks for the input. I was real close at buying one, but ended up spending another 2,000 on an Asus G70s. I just couldnt handle being without a laptop when it needs a repair.

So far this unit is amazing. crysis at high settings AAx4 @ 1600 x 1000 resolution. 30 FPS. Pretty impressed for only 2x 8700GT cards. only thing overclocking crashes the sli cards. can only go 20 Mhz faster than factory. wonder why.

anyway cheers for into. 9800 GTS certianly an impressive card!

How do you like the Full HD display? The other day, my dad brought home a laptop of one of his colleagues that had a 1920x1200 display in order to test a networking configuration. The screen was simply amazing. Ironically, however, the laptop belonged to a blind person.

i love it. used to have 1440 x 900 and that was nice. until 1920 x 1200. Amazing! dont know how i ever did without it. Fit so much in the screen, and running 62 hz. crisp as!

Unfortunately only down side for me is vista. I really want to go back to XP 64-bit. but the overclocking software only works with vista. 3.0 ghz can overclock to 3.6 ghz. So I think that outways XP.