LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Serious problem with 8800M GTX drivers

scarbo

So, it seems I'm in serious need of help. I'm already thinking of selling my notebook because I can't get my problems solved.

Here's the issue (and i truly hope someone knows what to do :) ):

I've already had trouble with my notebook when I installed new drivers for my graphics card (the known downclocking problem). Clocks were okay when using the standard driver (i think 167.43 or something?) but my notebook kept crashing displaying the "nvlddmkm" error. Updating to the newest driver helped me get rid of the nvlddmkm issue, but caused more problems due to the downclocking.

Eventually, I followed Dox' instructions on flashing a newer BIOS version ( http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=17753 ) from 1.00.07 to 1.00.08.

Everything worked kinda fine, the clocks were up to normal and games were running perfectly okay.

UNTIL! for some f***ing reason, my notebook began crashing again, worse than ever before. I didn't do ANYTHING. The bugs just appeared out of nowhere.

Sometimes I get the "nvlddmkm" issue every minute without me doing anything special (e.g. just surfing on the internet or opening a movie). Games (especially Company of Heroes) crash when I try to set my screen resolution to 1920x1200 (which is my native resolution, actually) or tweaking the details. My notebook crashes on startup (every now and then) and it's no longer fun to play games at all because it keeps crashing because of the driver. I tried several ones - the only thing that gets Company of Heroes to run is when I set my screen resolution to any other than 1920x1200.

I don't get it, I'm really desperate.

Oh and here's my system:

MoBo Manufacturer is CLEVO. Notebook model is NEXOC Osiris 705 III

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

Intel DualCore 2x2,4

Geforce 8800M GTX (768 MB ) - vBios version 62.92.19.0.a3

4096 MB RAM

250 GB HD Space (which is not important, I guess)

Somebody, please help! :)

Edited by scarbo

So, it seems I'm in serious need of help. I'm already thinking of selling my notebook because I can't get my problems solved.

Here's the issue (and i truly hope someone knows what to do :) ):

I've already had trouble with my notebook when I installed new drivers for my graphics card (the known downclocking problem). Clocks were okay when using the standard driver (i think 167.43 or something?) but my notebook kept crashing displaying the "nvlddmkm" error. Updating to the newest driver helped me get rid of the nvlddmkm issue, but caused more problems due to the downclocking.

Eventually, I followed Dox' instructions on flashing a newer BIOS version ( http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=17753 ) from 1.00.07 to 1.00.08.

Everything worked kinda fine, the clocks were up to normal and games were running perfectly okay.

UNTIL! for some f***ing reason, my notebook began crashing again, worse than ever before. I didn't do ANYTHING. The bugs just appeared out of nowhere.

Sometimes I get the "nvlddmkm" issue every minute without me doing anything special (e.g. just surfing on the internet or opening a movie). Games (especially Company of Heroes) crash when I try to set my screen resolution to 1920x1200 (which is my native resolution, actually) or tweaking the details. My notebook crashes on startup (every now and then) and it's no longer fun to play games at all because it keeps crashing because of the driver. I tried several ones - the only thing that gets Company of Heroes to run is when I set my screen resolution to any other than 1920x1200.

I don't get it, I'm really desperate.

Oh and here's my system:

MoBo Manufacturer is CLEVO. Notebook model is NEXOC Osiris 705 III

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

Intel DualCore 2x2,4

Geforce 8800M GTX (768 MB ) - vBios version 62.92.19.0.a3

4096 MB RAM

250 GB HD Space (which is not important, I guess)

Somebody, please help! :P

Hey Dude,

Download the newest version of drivers off laptopvideo2go (177.98) and replace the existing nvdisp.inf in the folder you get when you unzip the driver zip-file, with the modified one you can download from the same forum topic like usual...

PS make sure you uninstall your old GFX drivers first.

Some older drivers are very shaky and especially with the 8800m GTX.

Those are my two cents for now matey, hope it helps :)

:P

Good luck...

Greetz,

Thurin

(P.S. if you already have version 177.98 installed then try re-downloading, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers with the modified INF file..... IF however it doesn't work, then there is another 2 possibilities: option 1: the driver is somehow incompatible with your specific system, and option 2: try reinstalling the stock driver or latest driver supplied by your hardware manufacturer. - THEN - if this even fails you might be dealing with a defective Graphicscard and I would have to advise you to go back to your supplier and see what they can do... judging by the graphics card you have in that rig of yours it should still be under warranty.)

Hey man, thanks for your reply.

I already had the 177.98 driver installed and just today replaced it with the newest I could get 'by date' (it was the 176.09). My notebook doesn't crash when I'm doing nothing anymore, so that's a little step towards the right direction. Company of Heroes still crashes when I switch the screen resolution to 1920x1200 though (which I don't understand at all, as it works on 1600x1200 without crashing).

I'll try installing the stock driver I have tomorrow... I don't feel like doing it tonight anymore.

I hope my graphics card isn't somehow ... defect.

Oh and. Problem is, when I bought the notebook there was a note telling me that the warranty I would have is only "bring-in"... so I'll have to see -.-

Edited by scarbo

Oh and. Problem is, when I bought the notebook there was a note telling me that the warranty I would have is only "bring-in"... so I'll have to see -.-

Hey no worries about the reply :) always happy to be of any assistance... but seriously carry-in warranty means as long as you personally drop your rig off and come pick it back up your machine is covered ... (provided you didn't try to manually fix up some components (IE replace components or heat sinks etc.. or if you broke any seals ofc.)

Hey no worries about the reply :) always happy to be of any assistance... but seriously carry-in warranty means as long as you personally drop your rig off and come pick it back up your machine is covered ... (provided you didn't try to manually fix up some components (IE replace components or heat sinks etc.. or if you broke any seals ofc.)

Naw, I didn't do anything to my notebook. Except for flashing a newer bios ^^

@Phnx: Thanks for those links! I was searching my arse off for those. Where did you find them? EDIT: I can't seem to download the VGA Bios for the 8800?

I'm now trying to flash my bios again.

EDIT 2: I flashed my bios, everything seems to work, but somehow games still crash on 1920x1200... where to get the newest VGA Bios? :)

Edited by scarbo

Naw, I didn't do anything to my notebook. Except for flashing a newer bios ^^

@Phnx: Thanks for those links! I was searching my arse off for those. Where did you find them? EDIT: I can't seem to download the VGA Bios for the 8800?

I'm now trying to flash my bios again.

EDIT 2: I flashed my bios, everything seems to work, but somehow games still crash on 1920x1200... where to get the newest VGA Bios? :)

Hey dude how about an update: maybe this helps you a bit, the downclocking did it persist in games? did you test?

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....;hl=8800GTX+Sli

DOX stated in this forum:

"yo dont worry, gpu z shows that its underclock BUT, click on the sensors tab and start a game and the speed shoots up tp the defualt 500 core and 800 memory"

Minus the minor spelling errors he made, apparently he has seen this and tested this downlocking problem before .... so I think you have one less problem to fix.

the major problem of the crashes... the downclocking is apparently in place to keep your laptop arguably cool while it's in windows and not upto anything that requires GFX processing power.

Greetz and keep it cool,

Thurin

Hey there,

no, the downclocking problem went away since I flashed the newer BIOS version. (I know that the clocks are not up to 500 / 799 in 2D mode)

I actually managed to download the vBIOS for the 8800... all I need now is an instruction on how to flash it ^^ never did that before.

It's pretty annoying because I keep getting this "nvlddmkm" error and CoH crashes...

Alright! I did it!

I flashed my graphicscard with the version Phnx gave me... and the bugs are gone! Completely! I can even change the screen resolution to 1920x1200 and the game still runs... and runs... and runs... :)

I'm so happy and thankful for your help!