LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m GT Heat Issue [Urgent]

Gameo

Hi LTV2G!

4 months ago, I bought myself a very fine (and expensive :) ) Zepto 6224W laptop, which at that time was the best of the best. I am now noticing, however, that the really new games (such as :) May Cry 4, Crysis, Assassins Creed etc.) can kick the framerates down.

--- Zepto 6224W Information ---

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 2.10GHz
GPU: Nvidia 8600m GT 512MB DDR2
RAM: 4GB
OS: Windows Vista Premium 32-bit / Windows XP Professional x64*
Forceware Version: 177.79

* Dualboot setup.

I've used a lot of good softwares to optimize the system such as Tuneup Utillities, and CCleaner. However I wasn't satisfied just yet.

I then tried, even though I was originally against it, overclocking(On XP! Not Vista, since it's performance is *cough*). Rivatuner 2.11 was downloaded, and with the 177.79 drivers I've finally managed to overclock. I'm facing a heat problem, but here's some FPS stats first:

----- BEFORE 475/950/400 -----

Assassins Creed: Fluent gameplay when the graphic option is set to 1, which makes most of all details disappear and gives the game a kind of gray, boring look. As soon as I change it to 2 or more, the framerates are averagely around 10-22.

Crysis: Fluent on Medium, at least in the sandbox mode that is. On high it lags as hell, we're talking 12-20 fps.

Fable: Not Tested

DMC4 PC Test Benchmark: 16-18min (When there are like, 50-60 enemies on the screen at once, doesn't really happen in-game) and 42-44 max.

----- AFTER, 550/1100/410 -----

Assassins Creed: Not Tested

Crysis: Not Tested

Fable: 16-25 fps, but that's on full 1440x900 32bit resolution with MAX details and AA x2.

DMC4: Around 18min, and 47-55max.

But with the overclocking turned on, the Rivaturner monitors that the temperatures are averagely 95-110c, which I believe is quite dangerous. 85-90c with my fan on psycho speed, pointing directly on the laptop and partially on the air ventilation.

Anyway to reduce the temperature? I heard someone could go to 660 clock or something with a stable temperature on 65-80c.

Regards,

David. :P

UPDATE: I've noticed that even when it's not overclocked, it still goes to temperatures around 90c. Could Rivatuner be wrong? I must admit, it doesn't really feel that hot to me, and I remember when I used RMClock, it showed me general values of 50-65c, and sometimes 70c when running 3D programs.

Edited by Gameo

I think that riva is giving the right temp. You probably have one of the defective 8600m gt. If i were you, I would contact the manufacturer immediately as 100C is very hot. And stop overclocking, you're causing more damage by doing that.

yea i have a problem too..

i had a defective gpu and was getting temps of 97c b4 a hard reboot, so i called dell and they replaced my mobo and heatsink for free.

all was great for the first few days. i could overclock where i could never overclock before, and i wasnt getting temps over 87c.

all of the sudden i restarted my laptop one day, and i realized i was idling at 76-78c! just the night before i was idling at 58-63c...

i went to play bf2 and i almost instantly got temps of 96c, then a driver crash.. wow. i have no clue what happened between the night before and when i woke up the next morn.

the defective gpu monster came and f'ed up my card again... lol.

anyone know what is happening to me??

This is with and without o/c?

The issue is with and without. Without in Fable, it's lying around 88-96c. With OC in Fable, it's lying around 90-100c.

In all seriousness, couldn't Rivatuner be wrong? Because first of all, it doesn't feel hot at all. It feels quite normal actually, and I've even place 4 books in the corners of the laptop so that the air can come out from below better.

No, I don't think riva was wrong there. You most likely have one of the many defective 8600's that are out there. It would be wise to get it replaced before it fails altogether.

Hold it just a minute. Who am I to trust now?

NewBitmapImage.jpg

After gaming:

NewBitmapImage-1.jpg

Edited by Gameo

Ntune's monitor will almost surely give the right reading, download it and see. I don't know what happened to rivatuner there.

I get a BsOD when launching the Nvidia Monitor from Ntune.....

1.What version of ntune is that?

2.What drivers are you using?

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 2.10GHz

GPU: Nvidia 8600m GT 512MB DDR2

RAM: 4GB

OS: Windows Vista Premium 32-bit / Windows XP Professional x64*

Forceware Version: 177.79

* Dualboot setup.

Ntune is version 5.05.54.00, which was avaliable on nvidia's main page.

UPDATE!

Now I know for a fact that the temperature can't be that high, because my BIOS says that the critical turning point in which the computer will shut down is 95c, and I've seen Rivatuner show me up to 101c.

Edited by Gameo

Well, i guess riva is wrong. You can also run 177.92 drivers, they run cooler. You can also try ntune 6.0 as 5 is not the latest version.

Will try the 177.92 drivers.....I hope they won't drag the performance down, but even if they do they should be able to overclock better since they're cooler, right?

Anyway I'll also try ntune 6.00.....and report back if anything happens. :)

The 177.92 actually have considerably better performance. However, they only run cooler by about 2-4C max so it's not a major difference although it is there. Ntune 6 is very stable and should work with your system.

ntune 6 works, and I tested the temperature on that and rivatuner with OC after 10minutes of gaming. (Which, according to Rivatuner was enough to reach 90-98c)

NTune:

ntune.jpg

Rivatuner:

riva.jpg

I haven't updated to 177.92 yet, but still, this basically shows us that Riva is wrong and that there's no danger, right?

EDIT: Also, naturally ntune is showing the default clocks because I'm out of the game, but the monitor was open all the time and I viewed the temp like 2 seconds after.

DOUBLE EDIT: The 177.92 drivers made the temperature worse. Now it's 95-99c without OC(Riva), however in some places the fps seems smoother.....

TRIPLE EDIT: The ntune screenshot was apparently taken too late. I just tried again, but it still only shows a maximum of 86c, and it should put the computer in threshold at 90c so yet again, Rivatuner can't be right.

Edited by Gameo

try HWmonitor from www.cpuid.com

leave it running, play your game then check the temps when you have finished and it will show current temp and maximum reached.

post-26333-1222601120_thumb.jpg

Before playing:

be4.jpg

After playing Fable for 30mins:

after.jpg

Okay......I'm quite worried now. It's still hard to believe because it really doesn't feel hot at all... :)

Hmm.......what to do?

EDIT: I've tried undervolting, only helped a bit with the CPU temperature, not the GPU.....

Edited by Gameo

Does anyone know a solution or what the issue is? If not, are there any ways to cool a GPU?

.....anyone? I can't like, play any games before I get this cleared up.

use RMClock 2 undervoltage ur processor :) lyk meh, then u will hef optimal temperatures for office & workin + u can go higher with teh overklokz

just try sum g00glin & u will find answerz on all of ur questionz =)

EDIT: I've tried undervolting, only helped a bit with the CPU temperature, not the GPU.....

It only cools my CPU a bit, not the GPU. The temperature have dropped 2-3c after I updated to the 178.13 drivers, but 90-98c in-game is still way too high without OC.

Edited by Gameo

It only cools my CPU a bit, not the GPU. The temperature have dropped 2-3c after I updated to the 178.13 drivers, but 90-98c in-game is still way too high without OC.

Just call for a GPU replacement.

Don't know another answer

Could be an option, however I know heard someone talking about Zepto laptops being able to withstand up to 127c. Is this true? Because if it is, then there's no need to worry as far as I can tell, and it would explain why it isn't very hot.....

I doubt any current laptop tolerate heat that high. My go5700 had original clockdown temperature of 135 but later drivers sat it to 125. Actually it clocked down/froze at about 93.

I just remember someone talking about it.....maybe I should just call Zepto and let me hear what they have to say.

Mm, I'll do that and post back here with some feedback. :)