LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce "8200M G" Driver Needed for XP

Rpak

I have tried ForceWare Driver from this Site, Nothing worked. I have CQ50-109CA (Compaq Laptop). I got all the Drivers except the Display Driver which is NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G. HP website has Drivers for Vista, but not for XP Professional. Need Help :)

Are you installing the modded INF? All graphics cards are supported with Pieter's INF, so it should be working.

Guest FlyboyData

The original poster is right: it no worky for the GeForce 8200M in XP (in my case, the built-in video in a Compaq Presario CQ50). I followed the FAQ instructions to the T, including copying the downloaded .inf over the downloaded driver's .inf, and I get a message box (using the Have-Disk method) of :

"There was a problem installing this hardware:

NVIDIA GeForce 8200M

An error occurred during the installation of this device.

The driver selected for this device does not support Windows XP.

Click Finish to close the wizard."

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same error. I don't get the prompt that says "Warning: Driver has not passed Windows XP Logo Testing" so I can't click "Continue Anyway" and otherwise, I checked the "Driver Signing" option in the Hardware tab of the System properties, and I tried the settings on "Ask Each Time" and on "Ignore" and it didn't work either time. :) Please help, and let me know if you need screens or a vid to show exactly what my problem is.

To clarify:

I have a CQ50-215NR laptop. It has an nVidia Geforce 8200M G card. I installed WinXP Pro SP2 and managed to get everything working except for the graphics card. I tried SP3 and numerous drivers, and nothing's working so far. Thanks in advance for any advice/solutions you might have to share. =p

Edit: Also, yes, I did use the modified INF.

Edited by kutae

I have tried ForceWare Driver from this Site, Nothing worked. I have CQ50-109CA (Compaq Laptop). I got all the Drivers except the Display Driver which is NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G. HP website has Drivers for Vista, but not for XP Professional. Need Help :)

Hello Rpak,

I have the same laptop, is it possible for you to zip the drivers or let me know where to get them so ican run XP properly, my email is xameleon13@yahoo.com, regarding video driver try this:

Go and download this driver packet:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-...WHQL-XP32.shtml

Run the install, it will say no compatable driver is detected.

Go to device manager and right click unknown vga device, update driver.

Dont have it auto search.

Select dont search, i will choose the driver.

Select Display adapters, choose the have disk button.

Have it point to C:\nvidia\Win2k\178.24\English\nv4_disp

It will give you a list of models, there are 2 geforce 8200's in the list. Click the first one in the list and hit next/ok or whatever.

It will give you the continue anyway option, proceed thru it.

Reboot computer and voila, success.

Dimi, you are godly. :) And as for the drivers for everything else, I used these links: Check 'em out. Hope they help. :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...-need-help.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...windows-xp.html

If I forgot any drivers, please let me know. :P

Guest Russell
Hello Rpak,

I have the same laptop, is it possible for you to zip the drivers or let me know where to get them so ican run XP properly, my email is xameleon13@yahoo.com, regarding video driver try this:

It will give you a list of models, there are 2 geforce 8200's in the list. Click the first one in the list and hit next/ok or whatever.

It works !!! Thanks !! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chandra Shekhar Das
It works !!! Thanks !! :P

:P

Thnx a million RPak...I jus bought this new Compaq fr my girlfriend...and the whole system was slow...thnx to you, at least the video is runnin awesome now...

Guest Guest-J

THANK YOU!!! Thank you, thank you. :)

This method also works for HP G60-104CA

(and I'm assuming also for HP Pavilion G60-120US since they are almost identical models.)

I downloaded the rest of the drivers from here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...hreadId=1280081

They all work except for the video card drivers.

Thanks Dimi, and thanks to all you guys as well.

Cheers,

J

Guest getting killed

This didn't work for me.

I have tried it like 10 times. I reboot the machine and all I get is.....

'

"The currently selected graphics display adapter can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows?"

It only displays 16 colors and that's it...and I have to look at my monitor in 640x480.

Things don't get better until I use the windows generic device driver which is horrible.

I am running a Compaq cq50-210us.

I downgraded from Vista to WXP pro SP1.

I am going nuts.

Can anyone help!!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

G60-120US

Has anybody tried it with that laptop? I don't want to go from Vista to XP until I can confirm that the method suggested above will work for that model. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GUES ME
Hello Rpak,

I get the following message after reboot: "The currently selected graphics display adapter can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows?"

It only displays 16 colors and that's it...and I have to look at my monitor in 640x480. Things don't get better until I use the windows generic device driver which is horrible. I have a Compaq cq50 with Win XP Pro (sp1) -- will be running sp3 once i get the damn graphics card to run!

PLEASE HELP!!

PS -- the laptop came with Vista pre-installed. And, I don't want Vista so reformatted and installed XP Pro...

Guest killijin
I get the following message after reboot: "The currently selected graphics display adapter can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows?"

It only displays 16 colors and that's it...and I have to look at my monitor in 640x480. Things don't get better until I use the windows generic device driver which is horrible. I have a Compaq cq50 with Win XP Pro (sp1) -- will be running sp3 once i get the damn graphics card to run!

PLEASE HELP!!

PS -- the laptop came with Vista pre-installed. And, I don't want Vista so reformatted and installed XP Pro...

I am having the same problem except I have the HP G60-121WM model. I am currently using XP SP3. I can't seem to find any solution perhaps I should just start at the 8200 and proceed in an ascending order till I find one that works.. But I am having the same problem exactly. Anyone have any suggestions? It acts fine then it goes onto that spiel about "The currently selected graphics display adapter can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows." which is complete BS as I am using the intended version of windows. However I notice some vista context menus when I right click exe's perhaps there is some kind of hardcoded Vista context shells that you cannot bypass? or something to that effect?

Just making the note that the 8200 driver is NOT the 8200M G driver... and I would suppose that far greater problems will occur when using desktop drivers on a laptop.

Although the following link does not have the 8200M G driver... it does have the 8400M G driver and that seems to work for the moment...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...79.28_beta.html

I have a HP pavilion 9730ep with 8400M GS.

When used 179.28 (drivers for XP notebooks) doesn´t install saying that can´t find drivers for my hardware.

Trying to install by hand (like descriptions above) I have a list of files that I can´t recognize like NVHM ... , so how can I choose the correct driver ?

Thanks

Manuel

Guest techlady
Just making the note that the 8200 driver is NOT the 8200M G driver... and I would suppose that far greater problems will occur when using desktop drivers on a laptop.

Although the following link does not have the 8200M G driver... it does have the 8400M G driver and that seems to work for the moment...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...79.28_beta.html

They now have 8200M G driver on the list as of 12/29/2008. The 8200 worked for my HP G60-127CL Notebook PC with a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G card but I want to improve it so I am going to try this beta.

They now have 8200M G driver on the list as of 12/29/2008. The 8200 worked for my HP G60-127CL Notebook PC with a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G card but I want to improve it so I am going to try this beta.

It doesn't work for me. I already tried.

How about you?

Guest techlady
It doesn't work for me. I already tried.

How about you?

Well it didn't, really. I am so frustrated.

I ran the install and it didn't recognize my driver then I did add new driver method. There was no 8200M G on the list even though it was listed on their page as a supported device.

I resorted back to 178.24 instead and am using the 8400m driver that someone recommended. This works at 1366x768 but the lower resolutions are blurry and too wide.

I have a game that wants 600x800 and that look awful. I still want a better solution. I have a dual boot system with both Vista and XP on an HP G60-127CL NOTEBOOK PC which I really like by the way. Getting the dual-boot to work on this system was the easiest one I did. Only the video has been little troublesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have been reading whats going and I too have a problem getting a Video Card Driver for my HP G60-104CA

Now I have noticed that there is instructon to download the driver and install it then when it fails maually direct XP to look in the installed folder for the file now here is my problem. When I do that and I look in the Win2k file the last folder is the English folder and the drivers are not located in there so please any help would be nice..

Ive gotten drivers for everything else thus far..

Thansk in advance

Im also looking for more updated drivers, my card is a 8200m G but it also comes up as NVIDIA MCP79MVL

Ive tryed at least 10 different drivers with the modded .inf none work, there seems to be no support for this card atm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tarass_chornyy@online.ua

Hallo, i am from ukraine? I bought hp g60 243CL and i want to ask u why games not working on hight quality

maybe it is nvidia 8200 problem if not please help me !!!

Meh, the 8400M G driver works... and it's apart of the 179.28 beta package... but the 8200M G driver wasn't (regarless of Nividia claimin it was) thus you'd have to manually install said driver. But running any package with the 8400M G driver would work, I'd guess.

From what I saw when I installed the 8200 Driver I'd say that it made it look like it was working, but it wasn't really working (Display settings claimed the driver was incompatable and just reset to default driver.) If it cured the refresh rate, thats probally just a result from the NVidia software being present.

And Techlady, unless I am sorrowfully mistaken... running a game at lower resolution than the monitor will ALWAYS result in blur. (you can either have pixelation or blur... although I've only seen blur ... so), and with the 16:9 widescreen, you're probally going to want to simply run at 1366:768. If worse comes to worse, just run it in windowed mode.