LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Team Fortress 2 runs well about half the time

William D

I just bought an hp Pavilion dv9925nr notebook and it came with an nvidia GeForce Go 7150M/nForce 630M card.... the pre-installed driver ran Team Fortress 2 horribly.... even on lowest resolution settings the game ran choppy and slow most of the time and then suddenly it worked fine and then choppy again... then I installed the newest driver and it fixed it considerably but still needs improvement, works fine like half the time and half the time is a little choppy (less than before but still unbearable)... I'm wondering if any of you know which driver version plays this game the best... it would be greatly appreciated... thx in advance

Youll probably have to just try various drivers until you find one that works, I would normally recommend 177.92.

Another thing to note is that the 7150 is a pretty weak card, so you'll never get great gaming performance out of it.

Actually it's not the driver it's the videocard. This is just an office card so you can't really expect much of it.

I wouldn't say that.

try the 177.79 driver, it yields the best performance out of that card. Source games run ok on it.

The 177.92 runs best on the 7000m so you can try that as a second choice.

The thing is that I know the card can handle the game because sometimes it runs perfectly... but then suddenly it slows down... then goes fine again.... so I'd say it's the driver.... i'm gonna try the suggestions now..... thx a lot for them

Be sure to tell us your results! Thanks.

Sry... It still hasn't gotten fixed with both of the suggestions :) .... anyone know of anything else that can be done??? instead of getting another pc

Are you on Vista? You could try downgrading to XP. You won't expect much of an improvement, but it works. I would recommend 179.13, or 177.92. :) Good luck!

Edited by Shaythong

With Vista, most games are unplayable with the 7150 for some reason. It seems to hate Vista. On XP the card works very well, so that a downgrade would be a necessity.

• 1 month later...
Guest VeasnaYim
I just bought an hp Pavilion dv9925nr notebook and it came with an nvidia GeForce Go 7150M/nForce 630M card.... the pre-installed driver ran Team Fortress 2 horribly.... even on lowest resolution settings the game ran choppy and slow most of the time and then suddenly it worked fine and then choppy again... then I installed the newest driver and it fixed it considerably but still needs improvement, works fine like half the time and half the time is a little choppy (less than before but still unbearable)... I'm wondering if any of you know which driver version plays this game the best... it would be greatly appreciated... thx in advance

Hi, you mean that your screen always flick every your windows is starting? if you have problem about that, i can show you.. you can contact me by: veasna_yim1@yahoo.com

also i am just bought pavilion dv9925nr too.

Guest VeasnaYim
Hi, you mean that your screen always flick every your windows is starting? if you have problem about that, i can show you.. you can contact me by: veasna_yim1@yahoo.com

also i am just bought pavilion dv9925nr too.

Hi all, i am currently using Paivlion dv9925nr,but i wanna to use windows xp,so could you please tell me where can i get drive for windows xp?

please contact me: veasna_yim1@yhoo.com

i would like to say many big thank to you all ofyour kind. i will really share with you back with all my experince.

• 10 months later...

When the graphics card heats up during a lengthy gaming session, it will automatically scale back so it produces less heat. Do you play in a well air conditioned room? Try opening up the case and possibly put a big room fan by it. If overheating is the problem (it most likely is if the stuttering is intermittent) then it should fix the problem. I have similar problems with even my desktop during long gaming sessions, because the huge amount of heat from the graphics cards ups the ambient temperature of my dorm room, which decreases the ability of the graphics cards to dissipate heat. When I turn the air conditioner on, it solves the problem though.