LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hmm Desktop vs. Laptop Drivers

Fatesadvent

Alright, I'm totally new to this but I managed to read the quick start guide and got my new driver installed and everything seems to be working. Problem is, I realized I installed the 178.13, which is for GeForce 8600 GT...NOT Geforce 8600M GT (the mobile one, which I have of course). Should everything be working and should I be scared for crashes? Should I uninstall and revert to my old one/another one (if so, which one would you suggest for stability and performance) or just keep this? I have a Dell 1520 with the 8600M GT as mentioned before (original driver version was around 158.something).

Also, what difference should I expect from updating from such an old driver to such a new one (I'm expecting quite a bit...should I be)? Each release doesn't really seem to say what if fixes or updates so I'm at a lost for this (besides looking benchmarks done by users on the forum). Try to avoid just redirecting me to a sticky (I've read quite a bit of those already), thanks in advance for any replies

I have a Vostro 1500, which is essentially the same as your laptop. I also have the latest drivers and the 8600m GT. You should not expect crashes. All of the drivers here support all of the released cards. Also, you should expect a noticeable performance improvement.

Oh, I think I just misunderstood. The listed compatible cards are the default video cards that dont need the modded inf but since I used the modded inf, it doesnt matter which card I have. Paniced for no reason. Anyone want to expand on the answer for the second part of my questions though (more than Michael already did)?

Well, not much more is to be said, the drivers as stated should show a marked improvement performance-wise, but can also introduce bug fixes and whatnot all of which are encompassed in the release notes on the driver page. If you don't see any there are not meant to be any. You can also read the particular thread for user views on the driver. Basically, you should be able to see what downsides and upsides there are to a particular driver and that's pretty much why we keep on updating. There are some good and bad to drivers all of which you will notice by updating to various ones. I recommend you update to the 177.92 though for even better gaming performance.

I have noticed somewhat better performance in games with 178.13 rather than 177.92. (I skipped over 177.98 due to the Digital Vibrance bug.)