LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Neverwinter Nights 2 Driver Recommendation

Yare

I was wondering if anybody had a driver recommendation for playing NWN2 (Neverwinter Nights 2) with the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer. I updated my driver to 177.79, but I've now gathered that this may have been a mistake since the category seems to suggest that it is only for desktops. My system actually crashed after some graphics errors started showing up during "normal use" (just surfing the internet). Sure enough, I rebooted, asked what the problem was, and it said something was wrong with my video card driver. I've been using it for a while, but I just don't feel like I'm gettin gas much out of this system as I could. I think all of my system specs are on the left, so if you need any more information, please let me know. Although, I did find the "video RAM" question confusing. I have 3 GB of "RAM"; this video RAM is something I've never heard of. In any case, assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

All drivers originate as designed for desktops. It is up to OEM's and lv2go to enable support for mobile version's of their pc counterparts. Therefore, once you download the modded inf you're good to go. 177.79 are very good drivers, and should not yield problems if you uninstalled the previous drivers properly (boot into safemode uninstall old drivers, run driver sweeper, then install new drivers). If you like you can try the 177.92 drivers, they yield great performance and should work well with your card. Most video cards these days come with internal or dedicated RAM (VRAM) as a pose to conventional RAM. It operates separately to regular RAM and functions independently. You most likely have 256mb of VRAM with 768mb shared with your regular system RAM due to nvidia's Turbocache feature. I hope this answers your questions and happy gaming!

All drivers originate as designed for desktops. It is up to OEM's and lv2go to enable support for mobile version's of their pc counterparts. Therefore, once you download the modded inf you're good to go. 177.79 are very good drivers, and should not yield problems if you uninstalled the previous drivers properly (boot into safemode uninstall old drivers, run driver sweeper, then install new drivers). If you like you can try the 177.92 drivers, they yield great performance and should work well with your card. Most video cards these days come with internal or dedicated RAM (VRAM) as a pose to conventional RAM. It operates separately to regular RAM and functions independently. You most likely have 256mb of VRAM with 768mb shared with your regular system RAM due to nvidia's Turbocache feature. I hope this answers your questions and happy gaming!

I will try this and see if I have more success. I admittedly did not do it the "right way" (and intentionally didn't do it that way), of course, because I was lazy. I'll do it the right way and see what happens. If I have further problems, I will post here. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my laptop's motherboard has finally been replaced today, after two weeks of waiting. Apparently the GPU was broken. So, I read online that nvidia GPU's have broken a lot, so I'm not that concerned. But do I have any reason to believe that it was one of the drivers that was pushing it harder than it should, hence causing the break? I was not overclocking.

No, drivers can't damage your laptop. The problem you had is shared by many, many others and drivers had nothing to do with their failures.

No, drivers can't damage your laptop. The problem you had is shared by many, many others and drivers had nothing to do with their failures.

Yeah, I know about the widespread problem. I just wanted to make sure the driver wasn't somehow accelerating the problem by making the GPU work too hard or something like that, but then again I guess that's what overclocking is; not just changing a driver.

Ok, I think I'm going to try out 177.92 and if I have any issues with that, I'll post them here.

Thank you for your assistance, everybody.