LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8700GT SLi driver comparison- Best perfoming driver!

wook

About the 179.14 driver, you said it runs hot and downclocking may occur. But have you tried this on Vista 64bit version too, or just the 32bit? I'm just curious, even though I don't use the 8700GT. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wook

• tnad

• radixxx

• Mushu

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey again Shaythong. Yeah its the same for xp 32 and vista 64 also. i tried it with fallout 3 and got downclocking and temp got up to 81 Oc which is the highest my system has been. usually @ 76-77 Oc max.

But i do like that driver. if only it would not get as high.

runs farcry 2 very well. fallout must be just more GFx intensive

I agree that driver is making temps rise and I don't think there's a 179.14 for XP is there? :)

it looks pretty great, downloading 179.14 now, hope it works fine for me.

I agree that driver is making temps rise and I don't think there's a 179.14 for XP is there? :)

cause 179.14 powermizer is off by default settings.

yes it is off. but when gaming the temp goes very high. when not gaming and even powermizer off it hits 60 Oc with my system which i dont mind. its the gaming part that sucks. but as i am sure we are aware, the reason its such a good performing driver is because its running faster than it should.. i.e. hotter

no officially there is not. there are ways around that. Wanted to see the temp issue.

great job, wook! you really help me to choose my 8700gt sli driver.

btw, i was wondering if you have tried 180.43, coz i heard some great things about that driver.

and, for the temp issue of 179.14, is there any way to work it out? can it be a really serious problem?

thank you in advance!

no problem... yeah 180.43 had a score of 9650. it was up a while ago, but took it off the table as it was a poor performer. 180.44 should be out in a few days, and will hopefully move past the issues that 180.43 had.

179.14 i believe is a great driver. it has power off by default so runs 3D performance all the time. u can enable it, so this is not a problem. but even with it powermizer enabled, it still goes hotter than i have seen a driver go. its just too hot i believe. my system downclocks and i everything i try doesnt work. temperature is its downfall.

if it works fine on your system then sweet. i'd use it.

no problem... yeah 180.43 had a score of 9650. it was up a while ago, but took it off the table as it was a poor performer. 180.44 should be out in a few days, and will hopefully move past the issues that 180.43 had.

179.14 i believe is a great driver. it has power off by default so runs 3D performance all the time. u can enable it, so this is not a problem. but even with it powermizer enabled, it still goes hotter than i have seen a driver go. its just too hot i believe. my system downclocks and i everything i try doesnt work. temperature is its downfall.

if it works fine on your system then sweet. i'd use it.

thanks, dude. so about 180.42, does it also have a temp issue? I read your comment about its not working well with farcry2, how about the other games?

no temp. issues that i found. But fallout 3 kept jumping back to desktop then the game would not respond, as well as far cry 2 not working at all.

i think 178.26 is the best option so far. runs all games well, and temp is all good. its what i am using.

Nice job !!! :)

Good Question :)

Wook how hot the 179.14 is? I think you shouldn't be worried until it reach 90.C . I remember that a guy from aw told me those cards(8700) are able to reach 100 Cmax.

Do you think it ll improve my game performance to upgrade from 174.74 to 179.14 wich has PM off by default?

Or should i stay with 174.74 and turn off PM with powermizerswitcher v1.1?????

thx for help

179.14 will be a quite a bit better than 174.74. im talking 300 3Dmark 96 points. and game performance should be a frame or possibly 2 better.

Im using it at the moment, but after an hour i have to restart my system as it kicks into 3d low mode. still testing my inf file to see what i can do about it.

also try the mobility modder. that gives better performance than just the modified inf on its own. also powermizer fix will keep the card cooler when not gaming. worth a try. if not roll back to 174.74

yeah it is significantly higher hey... weird because its a laptop release. specifically for the asus G71 which sure, has a fan for each GPU, but still..

I guess its good to see asus trying to make the drivers give best performance possuible..

I tried the 176.75 and and it had the lowest score of anything so far for me. It also causes freezing every few seconds while running 3dmark06. It must not work so well for a cpu like mine.

thanks for feedback. ran fine with me. try the new one. scores updated now. 180.48. not bad so far. untested with games yet tho.

no temp. issues that i found. But fallout 3 kept jumping back to desktop then the game would not respond, as well as far cry 2 not working at all.

i think 178.26 is the best option so far. runs all games well, and temp is all good. its what i am using.

em, you said that 178.26 is good as the temp, so compare with the 180.48, hows the temp? so far i care only the temperature for my xps m1530, as for the score, 180.48 is petty good, i don't mind sacrifice few score for stability and lower temp.

Guest PresenceOfMind

Hello there,

I've noticed a lot of ppl talking about 179.13 driver. I'm using 178.26 on my 8800M SLI and it runs perfect.

I was running 178.13 but there were some shadow issues when I decided to move to 178.26 and everything looks great.

I remember reading some benchmarks pointing out that as the best driver.

How about 180.48? Shade 3.0 performance looks bad.

I have a stupid shadow flicking issue on WOW when "shadow quality" is on. I heard it's because SLI. Has this being sorted on 180.48?

Thanks,

PresenceOfMind

Hi here,

really interesting topic.

Like PresenceOfMind i'm looking for a top driver for my GC in WoW, but I hadn't still found my "graal"

I have a stupid shadow flicking issue on WOW when "shadow quality" is on. I heard it's because SLI. Has this being sorted on 180.48?

Thanks,

PresenceOfMind

Like me and it's not SLI because I'm running a 9600M GT :)

At this time my best performance in this game is with the 180 series ( 180.44 ) but I still have low frames in BC an WOTLK.... :)

Not tried the 180.48 yet, sorry

kohlmayer & presenceofmine -

I suggest you both give 179.14 a chance. see if you have any heat issues, as i think you will be impressed with the performance. have not noticed any issues with either shader 2 or 3. with 180.48 i did notice some weird colours with shader 3 and 4.

so try 179 first.