• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wook

• mobilenvidia

• zipper

• mecengburak

Maybe a stupid question, but I own the system below (only with a better CPU and HDD) and I'm experiencing serious problems with the nVidia 8600m GT graphics card. For example: When viewing large pics or when I simple want to download files, the system slows down, a system beep sounds and then it freezes. Sometimes I also get a BlueScreen or the message that there's a problem with the video hardware (LiveKernelEvent). Does this has to do with the driver and can I try it with this driver? Please let me know!

ban_xms1719_899_n2004.jpg

Yes, this could be driver related from what i understand. The kernel encompasses the essential software components of an OS but then again this is a weird error message. You can try the 177.92 drivers before trying these. In my opinion those are better.

Great driver. Got little change in 3dmark over the 174.60 I was using previously, but fps has gone up significantly in most games. Also fixes the lag I have always gotten with any driver when there are lots of speckles on the screen.

Edit: and sometimes games and programs dont display properly, squashing towards the left of the screen and turning black & white :/ doesn't happen consistently in 1 program after a relog, and doesnt happen in full screen mode

Edited by karl_w_w

hey guys i have a toshiba x205, basically when ever i instal a driver black specs appear all over the screen. and i cant watch any movies or do anything :S. i was wondering if anybody else is having issues with the toshiba x205. thanks :)

Hi,

I have Dell Inspiron 1520 with GF 8600M GT. I used to have 177.98 drivers, i uninstalled them and instal those. It helped me with my problem with Digital Vibrance setting in Nvidia Control Panel which used to forget my dersred value. But now I have another issue. When I boot up my notebook I see an error that nvHotkey.dll cant be loaded because there is not such module. I turned nvHotkey.dll off in msconfig so that I dont see that message. But here comes my question: Is it an important module? Should I try to fix that or may I just not use it? What does nvHotkey.dll do?

can I install this for 8700GT SLI?

Guest Erhard
hey guys i have a toshiba x205, basically when ever i instal a driver black specs appear all over the screen. and i cant watch any movies or do anything :S. i was wondering if anybody else is having issues with the toshiba x205. thanks :)

You need to overclock the 2D-Memoryclock with Rivatuner to 150 Mhz. Then your Problems are 100% gone!

Dont forget to save the Setting to have them after next boot.

Guest Milord

Hey there eveybody! It might sound a silly question, but what is the real difference between mobile drivers and desktop drivers? And could ytou please tell me how I will know if my laptop is alienware or not?

Thanks for your time,

C u!

hi,

tried 179.13 for a NVIDIA 8600M GT on a notebook. the setup stopped saying no supported hardware detected.

chris

Hey Chris,

If your notebook is not listed as 'supported' on the first page you have to download the Moded INF (also on the first page) and use it to replace the INF in the installation directory prior to running the driver install. Once that is done, you should be good to go and not see that error message again. Since you have the same video card as I do, once you have this driver installed, let me know how it works for you. I am running the 178.13 and am wondering if the move up to 179.13 is worth it. The 178.13 is working great right now, and this is the very first time I have used one of the drivers here. Glad I did, finally, take the plunge. hehehe

They are very similar and probably not worth of "upgrading".

Hey, thanks for the info. I just wondered because of the 'Desktop' 'Mobile' diff, and I have a notebook. It took me several months to work up to installing one of the drivers here... not a matter of trust, just HP put the fear in me that they would void my Accidental Damage Extended warranty if I did and it messed things up. Then it occured to me, 'HOW would they Know?' lol I have been using the OEM since December when I got my DV9500T CTO, and they work 'OK' but no where near as well as the drivers here!

I am still pushing HP to update the drivers on the web site; bothered Case Managers, wrote Mr. Hurd @ HP (several times), filed a complaint with CA Department of Consumer Affairs, filed complaint with BBB... but it is like an ant biting at the feet of an elephant. One day (some day) they WILL update the dirvers on the web site to a CUDA/PhysX driver and then I will try that one. Till then, I am way thankful for this site and all the people that make it happen and bring us these drivers. :)

Weird, the driver made my Windows Vista WEI Base Score go down to 2.5 from 3.0.

Guest Nuwanda

After installing this driver on my Dell XPS M1330 (8400M GS), the fan - keeps switching on and off every 2-3 seconds. It wouldnt be a problem normally, but its really lound and is starting to annoy me! Never had this problem before i installed the new driver. Any ideas?

can I install this for 8700GT SLI?

If the card is in the modded inf, then yes (pretty much every card is)

my 8600m gt 256mb seems to be not supported reading the first page :_(

I had the 17792 drivers before (my card is a 8600mGT (to the user above: you have to use the modified INF with nearly every driver on this page)). Strangely enough I don't see any increase in performance or picture quality but a rapid decrease in both aspects. I use Mass Effect as a "benchmark". The 17792 drivers were probably the best I ever tried. Now I wonder if this difference has something to do with the mobile and desktop certification of these drivers. Maybe using specifically "desktop"-drivers results in better performance on some mobile cards...

guys i used 177.92,177.98,178.13 and 179.13 ...there is no performance difference between 178.13 and 179.13 but i can say that 179.13 is better than 177.92...then i guess we have to wait for the big bang:)))

switching from 177.98 to 178.13/179.13 caused my cpu score (3dmark06) to drop from 1900 to 800, whats happening??

from 1900 to 800?it is impossible,i think there might be a trouble while installing the driver...use driver cleaner pro and then try to install 179.13 on your computer...

It's mostly due to the WHQL Certificate, I have a couple of games that if the drivers aren't WHQL the games won't run any of the pre-rendered cutscenes correctly or not at all.

What you have to do is find a driver set that the original INF that supports a version of your video card that is WHQL, you find that, then you can use a modded INF on that specific driver so that it'll install with no problems.

I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong, cause I have used the modded inf before, all of those I have tested do not work with HD-DVD or Bluray play back. However, removing ALL the nvidia drivers using driver sweeper, i modded the ORIGINAL inf myself(add my card in the inf) HD-DVD and Bluray works flawlessly, this is including powermizers vga ports hdmi, I still don't know what has the modded inf on here that has been altered to have the HD-DVD and Bluray playback disabled... :)

Guest HardcoreHarris
In AC, PowerMizer don't go to standard 2D, keeps going to low power 3D...

In battery, don't know... in other releases, like 175.97 (from ASUS), powermizer stops working, after a upgrade from MS, to Vista SP1 (Vista SP1 update KB955302)... :)

By the way, it's a 9500M GS 512MB DDR2, from asus.

Hi guys, I also have a 9500M GS 512 GDDR2 and yes the powermiezer steping in this driver no longer has 3 settings, but only 2 (275mhz clock, 199 memory) (475 clock, 399 memory) nTune.

This is for BOTH AC and DC. I however have powermeizer off on AC as its not really necessary on AC and can slow games.

I believe that it does not step down to the last steping (165 clock 199 memory) because it is an alienware driver and alienware (dell) want the alienware laptops to seem faster so they omit the last steping.

However doing my own tests, not having the third stepping really hasn't effected battery performance at all. So if anything this 2 stage stepping is a god send rather than waiting for it to crawl up from 3 to 2 to 1.

Just thought I'd jump on and share my 2 cents

Is it a good driver for 8400M GS?

I can't download the driver. I always see this message: How did you end up here? Please go back and try again.

What's going on? Something is wrong?

Thanks.