LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GS dead

julman99

Hi,

My videocard went dead while playing Spore. After several test I concluded that the GPU (NVIDIA 8600gs) was dead. No overclocking ever to this card.

I am a casual gamer, I play like once a week but I installed the driver from laptopvideo2go about 3 months ago. I had no video faults ever. I was simply playing the game and saw a lot of color and lines all over the screen and hanged up. Then I restarted the computer and played again for 5 minutes and happened the same. Then when I restarted it I saw a lot of colors lines again on the BIOS POST screen and just when windows load the driver the card died and the login screen never showed up.

Now the GPU is completely dead and only someeeeeetimes (I mean once a week) I can use the computer for 10 minutes and then I start seeing a lot of funny lines and colors and then HAAANG.

Is there any chance that the driver from laptopvideo2go cause this? before usign that driver I used always the one on HP website

Thanks for your help

Is there any chance that the driver from laptopvideo2go cause this? before usign that driver I used always the one on HP website

No. The drivers don't kill hardware, the user does - or bad luck/manufacturing.

No. The drivers don't kill hardware, the user does - or bad luck/manufacturing.

OK, I was wondering if the driver overclocked in someway the video card.

Regards

Call your manufacturer and ask them to replace it; That is, if you still have your warranty on it.

Call your manufacturer and ask them to replace it; That is, if you still have your warranty on it.

No warranty for me. I bought the part on ebay. I just wanted to know about the driver so I can decide to install again laptovideo2go or HP drivers.

Regards

its not dead if u can use it 10 mins every week. Its probably a manufacturing problem... u can install fked up drivers and bugger up the drivers as much as u want and they wont hurt ur hardware. So its definetly a manufacturing problem, heat problem, or something.

try removing ALL the graphics driver, and then use driver sweeper to clean out the remains if any. make sure you reboot to keep things in order, this will "disable" your card's hardware acceleration(your resolution will be really bad) when that is done, see if you can keep the computer on for a longer time, if so, go ahead try installing a driver, use the factory driver to test, if factory driver runs fine, your hardware is fine, then go ahead try different drivers if required

OK, I was wondering if the driver overclocked in someway the video card.

Regards

Drivers don't have the capacity to overclock the card, they have the capacity to make use of the tools that make the card overclockable.

Well, if you dont know already, this is a known problem woth 8400m and 8600m. Just search google. NVIDIA also released an official statement about this. If your laptop is HP or Dell, they know about this and you can probably get your card replaced even if you are out of warranty. Just do your research.