LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce 8400/8600 Chips Faulty

MonkeyMhz

Lots of ppl i hear about having faulty geforce chips. I know some ppl get the replaced by dell or their laptop warranty but how about if ur laptop warranty is gone or they don't cover it, and even if it does it causes a hell of a inconvenience. I think geforce should be giving freebies. Perhaps a poster, stickers, 260GTX? lol..

Yes, the geforce g84 and g86 chips are known to have heat problems. However, I would assume once your warranty is gone, your chance is gone. It would be really great if nvidia was to do that (free gtx 280's) but they have already lost a bundle from replacing so many gpu's for free already.

• 4 weeks later...
Lots of ppl i hear about having faulty geforce chips. I know some ppl get the replaced by dell or their laptop warranty but how about if ur laptop warranty is gone or they don't cover it, and even if it does it causes a hell of a inconvenience. I think geforce should be giving freebies. Perhaps a poster, stickers, 260GTX? lol..

This is my problem exactly. I've got a GeForce 8600M GS in my Inspiron 1460 laptop and the graphics card totally crapped out on me. I had it sent into Dell and they fixed something, but I think they just put a bandage over a deeper problem, because, sure enough, a couple months went by and the card crapped out again. It says something to the effect of the drivers not being able to run or something crazy...

Does anyone have any advice?

If so, please email me at ZDragon899@aim.com because I'm not going to be checking this regularly.