LaptopVideo2Go Forums

256mb 8600m GT on Dell m1530 getting really low fps in CS:Source

Guest prophit

Guest prophit

I'm currently running windows XP although it came wiht vista. I had the same problem on vista as well where i'd get as low as 10 fps on Counter Strike Source. And switching to XP didn't really make a difference. Also I can play at any setting and any resolution and the fps remains the same. Meaning at the lowest graphics settings i still get low fps. I've got the 177.81 driver installed and I haven't seen any improvement. And i definitely doubt its the internet connection. My ping is usually around 5-50ms and always below 100.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Dell m1530

2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo

3 GB RAM

nvidia 8600m GT 256mb

Fiber Internet Connection (1024 kbps)

Also Counter Strike Source is the only game where I have fps problems, all other games such as Half life 2, Prey, FEAR run fine even at high settings.

Have you tried the 177.92 drivers?

there have been a few questions about CS with the 1530 XPS. As far as i know they all managed to fix the problem. umm suggestions:

1) Like andrew suggested try other drivers. 179.16 or 78.16 are very close, and are the best performing drivers. But i think CS only uses shader 2.0 and for that the best driver is 179.13

2) Failing that do a search on here for CS and it may show you some other tweaks.

3) rivatuner or EVGA percision for overclocking. and forcing performance mode.

The modded inf is what you need. Download it and replace. Good luck!

Guest prophit

So i installed the 179.13 and its still really low. Any other ideas? It might not be driver related. And i dont really want to overclock and kill my graphics card. Its a laptop... replacing it will be hard

I understand, however, not being well versed on this particular problem, I cannot give you any further information. I can, as wook stated, tell you to perform a search. The problem is clearly not hardware related but what you can also do is try the 177.92 drivers just to be sure.

Guest prophit
I understand, however, not being well versed on this particular problem, I cannot give you any further information. I can, as wook stated, tell you to perform a search. The problem is clearly not hardware related but what you can also do is try the 177.92 drivers just to be sure.

I've searched through like... 10 computer tech forums and can't find a thing... there was one thread here that was similar but it was never resolved >.>

i have a 8400M GS and i have a very good fps in this game 60-200 tried modded inf drivers i have 176.48 downloaded form this page and works perfect

Guest dozerx8
i have a 8400M GS and i have a very good fps in this game 60-200 tried modded inf drivers i have 176.48 downloaded form this page and works perfect

im on the phone with dell and they dont know how to fix my refresh rate from a constant 63 herts. im having the same problems with my 8600m GT on the m1530 xps. low fps in counter strike, and battlefield 2 crashes on start up. any suggestions? kind of bummed when the company dont help muhch

LOL thats your problem , has a very easy solution , the screens of the laptos dont have more than 60hz of refresh rate so , if you can play cs or css with more of 60 63 fps you have to enter the nvidia control panel 3d setings and force to disable vertical sync that should fix your low frame rate but like i sayd maibe you get 200fps but still you see the game like 60 fps because of the screen.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dozerx8

i got the dell webpage video drivers for the laptop, 8600m gt - im on the m1530 dell xps.

i found out u cant change refresh rate. i tweaked the control panel graphics, to the simplest it can get. and i tested counter strike source on high and i get low fps, 15- 45 fps, and always spiking low and high. then i tweaked the ingame graphics to its lowest setting and i got the same results. im running windows vista home premium on 32bit and every effort to find out what is going on, even calling the company but they dont help you, and no satisfactory results. DOES anyone know why the guy with lesser graphic card gets better FPS than my geforce 8600m gt ? i brought the appearance down as well with everything looking like windows 98. and still low fps.

anyones help is much appreciated.

check your temps. this used to happen to me all the time on my xps m1530 when i was having major temp issues due to the faulty 8600m gt. had to go through 3 mobo's to fix this problem, all replaced for free by dell with quick service, but still...

Guest dozerx8
check your temps. this used to happen to me all the time on my xps m1530 when i was having major temp issues due to the faulty 8600m gt. had to go through 3 mobo's to fix this problem, all replaced for free by dell with quick service, but still...

what is temps? tempature? if so, it does get really hot on the left side and left of the touchpad. i know thats where the hard drive is. um, i read somewhere else it could be due to faulty graphics card. i't could possibly be that this is the issue, i tried it all and nothing, different drivers etc. um, you reported to dell customer service? how would i go about to getting this replaced?

please go into details so i dont have to ask the dell foreigners questions they dont know the answers to. thank you. :)

okay, check your graphics card temps... if its over 90c, you can easily get your motherboard replaced (our graphics card is attached to the motherboard so the whole thing needs to be replaced). if your temps are over 90c , you need to contact dell xps customer support, not the regular dell support. basically all you have to tell them is that you are having temps over 90c, and they should replace your motherboard/heatsink for free, within 2-3 days.

also, i suggest you tell them your having crashing due to this (yeah, lie a little but it makes the problem seem more problematic...) although i was actually experiencing crashing myself, i dunno why your not...

and upgrade to the newest BIOS (A12) before contacting them. it prob wont fix your issue, but theyll ask you what you have done to correct this, and you can tell them updated your bios, and maybe bought a laptop cooler...

good luck!

Edited by coolcop06

thanks for that. sometimes i do get crashes when running video games, or a website that has video games. like adult swim.

how do i check my temperature for video card?

dozer

gpu-z is what i use...

yea and crashing is most likely due to temps if your 95c and above...

Guest dozerx8

it did go over 90c went to 91c and it can go higher the longer im ingame, but out of game it cools down. and my fps ingame is really low.

-

dont know why it didnt show on the snap shot... i will keep this post updated. thanks alot coolcop. cool program btw.

• 2 weeks later...
this is counter strike source with low graphics, EVERYTHING OFF. and it shoots up and down constantly.

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=csslowfpsnr0.jpg

and this is eve online with full graphics on

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eveonlinevd4.jpg

Hi,

This is the same issue i was facing.........Surprisingly none of the drivers work well for my dell xps m1530. So finally what i did i downloaded the latest driver from the DELL website and now the games run very smoothly. I was able to play COD Modern Warfare and Dead Space in high resolution without any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same problem here. CSS runs on under 40 fps after minutes of gaming. starts around 140-170 fps. Just sent an e-mail to Dell now. I checked the temp with GPU-Z and it showed 90 degrees after minutes of gaming. now when im in my desktop it shows around 71 degrees.

it did go over 90c went to 91c and it can go higher the longer im ingame, but out of game it cools down. and my fps ingame is really low.

-

dont know why it didnt show on the snap shot... i will keep this post updated. thanks alot coolcop. cool program btw.

no problem