LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Aspire 5920G 8600m gt ddr2 to hd3650 upgrade

Guest jazzwitherspoon

Guest jazzwitherspoon

I just got an acer aspire 5920g with a geforce 8600m gt with ddr2 ram. I'm considering trying to get the fastest video card that will work in my computer and wanted to get a radeon hd 3650. Has anyone tried this upgrade? Does it work? Is there anything I should know before proceeding?

This is the card I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATI-AMD-HD-3650-256M...p3286.m20.l1116

as far as i can remember, they are pretty much equal in power, try the 9600m gt if you really want.

another fact to consider, where are you going to find the bios for that card for Acer?

8600m gt is pretty much equal in power+ OC the it is > 3650

and 8600m gt has physx support, there you will have a physx on a laptop

unless you want to wait untill havok is implemented on ati chips(might not be on the video cards you can find on the market right now)

cheers

I agree. Keep what you have. Especially for OpenGL-based video games, the nVidia will be better.

I agree. Keep what you have. Especially for OpenGL-based video games, the nVidia will be better.

to be hoest, it doesn't really matter, they are both pretty optmized, plus, OpenGL games are very rare these days. (some bigger titles were Quake 4, Doom 3, quake wars, anything other then those ones anycard can play such as TNT 2 or something)

but some do say nvidia drivers are lacking, I don't see how that is, so many driver releases faster then how much I can download :) (exadurating) along with the physx addon, I can't say they are so bad :)

but really, 8600 is got some time after release and it is identical to 9500m GS which is leading me to think it is a good card, and driver should be stable right now, AND just got rebranded to 9500m gs means that the support will probably last on generation longer~~ :P

Guest jazzwitherspoon
Write-only users... :)

Sorry, I don't know what this means.

WRT the other posters:

The 3650 and 8600m gt comparison at notebookcheck is comparing cards with ddr3, whereas my 8600 has ddr2 ram. As I understand it, the ddr3 is constitutes a pretty decent upgrade. Also, I haven't been able to find an 8600 with ddr3 for sale, whereas that guy on Ebay seems to have a lot of 3650s.

9650 is g84, identical core as to 8600m gt, so there is very small doubt that it will be anything bigger then MXM II, and I think it is just over 8700m gt abit.

btw with my oc, I have 4223 on my 8600m gt ddr2 256 with a 1.5GHz c2d on 3dmark06

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about Physx as a sell point between the 8600 and 3650

I tried it on my 8600M ddr3 and it runs like crap

Keep your 8600 it performs the same without forking out $200

Edited by Au_Xtr3me

I oced now, I run physx just fine