LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HD 3650 won't start first time

facey

Alrighty,

I've fitted an ATI HD 3650 into my xi1546. The system runs sweet, benchmarks are great but when the machine has been off for a while it refuses to start first time. When powered on it gives a beep with no display then seems to keep resetting itself. If I let it do this to heat it up a bit, then power off and start again it boots up fine. Does anybody have any solutions to this?

Cheers

Have you tried re-seating your card?

Yes this has been tried

what you are saying is a bit confusing, do you mean it NEVER started with the 3650? or it worked before, but not working now? cause you said benchmarks are great... whaa??

what you are saying is a bit confusing, do you mean it NEVER started with the 3650? or it worked before, but not working now? cause you said benchmarks are great... whaa??

imagine having an old banger of a car. When you try and start the car on a cold morning it coughs and splutters but never starts first time you turn the key. Once its warmed up after a few attempts the engine starts and the car runs perfectly until you reach your destination. This is like my laptop with the HD 3650 it won't start first time when cold and it never has. When it does start it runs perfectly and funnily enough when it does this you can run benchmarks, surf the net, play games for over 8 hours solid, etc etc

I suspect it maybe something to do with either the bios or amount of power it needs during boot.

Hope this clarifies the original posting

Guest amigo74

I have told you any times before. ruber band is no solution to fix a card.

Go and make it as i described any times before with nuts and screws.

I have the same card in the same notebook running without any problems !!

I have told you any times before. ruber band is no solution to fix a card.

Go and make it as i described any times before with nuts and screws.

I have the same card in the same notebook running without any problems !!

Modifications have been completed, what bios are you running?

FSC BIOS 1.25 with 2gb ram or ALIENWARE 1.19w with 4gb ram no problems at all !

Seems to a fault with something else. My replacement x1800 does the same. The original x1800 started causing artifacts and overheating, after replaing it with a new x1800 it didn't like to start without the power cable in, now it doesn't want to start first time with the hd3650, possibly a faulty mobo. Any idea what a single beep means with this bios?

Guest amigo74

make first a cmos reset by reinserting the cmos battery not the akku !

The cmos battery you find near the mxm slot.

Perhaps this helps.

After that you can load default settings in Bios.

Good luck.

mix some gasoline additive. It prevents freezing. hope it works.

mix some gasoline additive. It prevents freezing. hope it works.

think i'll cover it in gasoline and light a match. No idea why it wants to do that just won't boot when cold needs to heat up a bit then runs perfectly. I've tried several different alienware and FSC bios but to no avail. CMOS battery was removed each time but it just don't wanna work. Anybody no of a Uniwill bios that would work, might as well give that a shot as well.

Open to suggestions?

cheers

Alrighty,

I've fitted an ATI HD 3650 into my xi1546. The system runs sweet, benchmarks are great but when the machine has been off for a while it refuses to start first time. When powered on it gives a beep with no display then seems to keep resetting itself. If I let it do this to heat it up a bit, then power off and start again it boots up fine. Does anybody have any solutions to this?

Cheers

I'm having the exact same thing happen to my newly installed HD3650 in my Alienware i5550m.

I don't know if temperature has anything to do w/it yet, but when I've had it on for a while, and switch over to battery, it works fine. I rebooted a couple of times, w/o any problems. Cold, and unplugged, it won't boot up, beeping w/no display. I have to check this a couple of more times to confirm this.

I'm also having a problem in getting my external monitor to work. The system sees it, but yet I get no display.

I tried running the card in XP, and the ATI drivers can't fine the card at all.

Doing a clean install of Vista Premium x64, the installation saw the H3650, and I was able to download, and load the driver via the Windows Update, but I can't run the very latest driver directly from the ATI website. I don't know if it needs a special laptop driver like the Nvidia based laptops do.

Is there any software available for reading the GPU temperature?

Also this was suppose to be a 512 mb card, but it turns out to be just a 256 mb. :)

What kind of benchmarks are you getting w/your H3650? I've also got an Intel 2.33 GHz T7600 Core 2 Duo cpu in my laptop.

Edited by GoHack

I'm having the exact same thing happen to my newly installed HD3650 in my Alienware i5550m.

I don't know if temperature has anything to do w/it yet, but when I've had it on for a while, and switch over to battery, it works fine. I rebooted a couple of times, w/o any problems. Cold, and unplugged, it won't boot up, beeping w/no display. I have to check this a couple of more times to confirm this.

I'm also having a problem in getting my external monitor to work. The system sees it, but yet I get no display.

Doing a clean install of Vista Premium x64, the installation saw the H3650, and I was able to download, and load the driver via the Windows Update, but I can't run the very latest driver directly from the ATI website. I don't know if it needs a special laptop driver like the Nvidia based laptops do.

Also this was suppose to be a 512 mb card, but it turns out to be just a 256 mb. :)

What kind of benchmarks are you getting w/your H3650? I've also got an Intel 2.33 GHz T7600 Core 2 Duo cpu in my laptop.

Update:

It appears that temperature is the issue. Cold, and unplugged, it won't boot up, while warm, and unplugged it works fine. To get it to run cold, I have to have the external power supply hooked up. :) I'm going to try a higher amperage battery that I have to see if that helps any. Presently I've got just the standard battery installed.

With my external monitor, the digital doesn't work, but w/an adapter, the standard VGA does.

I've got the driver issue resolved. Like the Nvidia based laptops, you need a modified driver w/the ATI's also.

Again I got a 256 mb card instead of a 512 that it was listed as, but it does support Hyper memory, or shared memory, which allows it to go just over one (1) gb of video memory.

Any more info about the problem. I noticed in radeon bios editor there is an option to change the voltage and clock settings at boot. Currently the card looks to run at full speed with a voltage of 1.100v, maybe modifying this would help. I've never really used the radeon bios editor yet so if you have any information on it it could be helpful.

The benches I get are 8500 for 3dmark05 and 4056 for 3dmark06

:)

Any more info about the problem. I noticed in radeon bios editor there is an option to change the voltage and clock settings at boot. Currently the card looks to run at full speed with a voltage of 1.100v, maybe modifying this would help. I've never really used the radeon bios editor yet so if you have any information on it it could be helpful.

The benches I get are 8500 for 3dmark05 and 4056 for 3dmark06

:)

The only issue that I am having is starting the laptop cold on battery. I need to have it plugged in to the external power in order to get it to run. Once it has been running, it doesn't need to be plugged in anymore. It will boot up on battery, but once I shut it off for a while, and it is cold, it again needs the external power.

The standard Alienware battery is a 6 cell, 4400 mah battery. I plan to try a fully charge 9 cell, 6600 mah battery.

This is the only issue that I am having w/the ATI HD3650. Other than this issue, it runs great. I'm getting a 3DMark06 of 4391 w/it, which is more than twice as fast as the Nvidia Go 7600 that it came with.

As for the Radeon BIOS, I'll have to look into that. Thx

Edited by GoHack

Hi,

I think I found an answer to the cold boot up problem on battery, using the ATI HD3650 MxM video card, but I have to run more tests to confirm it.

I tried a fully charged 9 cell, 6600 mah battery this morning cold, and w/o an external power supply, and it booted up w/o any problems. I have to run this a few more times to confirm it, but I think the amperage is the issue.

Those who are having the cold boot problem problem on battery, what battery size are you using?

The same goes w/those who don't have a problem w/the cold boot on battery, what battery size are you using?

Thx.

Edited by GoHack

Ok MXM upgrade confirms the HD3650 works in an Amilo xi1546. Some users have also stated this to be true, can somebody please provide a copy of the vbios used for their 3650

Thanks

Hi,

I think I found an answer to the cold boot up problem on battery, using the ATI HD3650 MxM video card, but I have to run more tests to confirm it.

I tried a fully charged 9 cell, 6600 mah battery this morning cold, and w/o an external power supply, and it booted up w/o any problems. I have to run this a few more times to confirm it, but I think the amperage is the issue.

Those who are having the cold boot problem problem on battery, what battery size are you using?

The same goes w/those who don't have a problem w/the cold boot on battery, what battery size are you using?

Thx.

Well it looks like my theory is a wash. :) Sorry.

After leaving my laptop off all day, and then trying to turn it on w/the 9 cell, 6600 mah battery only, it just beeped and the lights below the display flashed.

I tried turning it off and on around four (4) times, until it finally booted on, using the battery only.

Would increasing the voltage in the video BIOS help any?

Well it looks like my theory is a wash. :) Sorry.

After leaving my laptop off all day, and then trying to turn it on w/the 9 cell, 6600 mah battery only, it just beeped and the lights below the display flashed.

I tried turning it off and on around four (4) times, until it finally booted on, using the battery only.

Would increasing the voltage in the video BIOS help any?

I have an HP BIOS and I don´t get it run.

Which BIOS have yours? @ all

• 9 months later...

Hello!

I´ve just bought a 3650 for my Amilo XI1546 and have the same problems

like you guys... any new cognizance with this stupid cold start problem?

I was happy to buy this card because I thougt it is 100% compatible to my

Amilo, and now this, disappointing... I try to run this card since three

days, edited voltages/clockrates in VBios, gave it the old ID string of

my X1800, nothing seems to help. Ok a few months are gone since the last

post here, so I ask for any news! :)

Hello!

I´ve just bought a 3650 for my Amilo XI1546 and have the same problems

like you guys... any new cognizance with this stupid cold start problem?

I was happy to buy this card because I thougt it is 100% compatible to my

Amilo, and now this, disappointing... I try to run this card since three

days, edited voltages/clockrates in VBios, gave it the old ID string of

my X1800, nothing seems to help. Ok a few months are gone since the last

post here, so I ask for any news! :)

What colour is your card and what specs do you have in your xi1546

What colour is your card and what specs do you have in your xi1546

Hello!

I have a red one, V121, Ver: 1.1, 109-P37631-009, with Qimonda -10 memory.

My XI1546 has a C2D T7400 and 2x 1GB Corsair DDR2-667 installed. Bios is

at the moment FSC 1.17 (tried also 1.25 and Alienware 1.19 and 2.06). No

Accu, always plugged on power cable!

VBios I´ve tried one from ATI and one from HP which are downloadable in

this forum!

Hello!

I have a red one, V121, Ver: 1.1, 109-P37631-009, with Qimonda -10 memory.

My XI1546 has a C2D T7400 and 2x 1GB Corsair DDR2-667 installed. Bios is

at the moment FSC 1.17 (tried also 1.25 and Alienware 1.19 and 2.06). No

Accu, always plugged on power cable!

VBios I´ve tried one from ATI and one from HP which are downloadable in

this forum!

I had the card with red pcb and the same issue. Seems only the green card with hp bios is the working one although i haven't tested it.

Hmmmm ok after days of unsuccessful testing I´m tired of this 3650... don´t think that it is a matter of PCB colour, cause in german Amilo forum there are a few XI1546/1554 users which drives the red 3650 smoothly in their laptops, configs of them are similary to mine. Bought and installed a X1900 yesterday - boots and works fine, similar power as a 3650 and a bit cooler than my old faulty "oven" X1800.

@all, HD3650 for sale! :)

I hate MXM, it´s a stupid "standard"! The few cards that work are allmoust not faster than your old card, and the newer ones don´t run or they runnig not clean - e.g. 30 sec. Bios beep-terror with 9600GT, why I should pay ~160 or more euro for such a daily startup pain card?

I had the card with red pcb and the same issue. Seems only the green card with hp bios is the working one although i haven't tested it.

Edited by Termie