LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Refresh Rates

omega2k1

i just wanted to know how to use riva tuner to change my refresh rate or if there is another app that can do it.

First make sure to know what refresh rate your monitor supports. Most LCDs will stop at 60, just something to consider when you are tinkering with this settings.

well yah, mines stop at 60 but i want to go past that. after installing the custom 178.13 driver put up the other day, i found that i could now set custom resolution in the nv control panel. well i also did some refresh changes. i was able to set it to 120 but it only stays on 120 while in desktop. when i start up a game it goes back to 60. i've also tried 72. on strange thing though, while i had it on 120 the bit color was stuck on 16bit. hmm....

if the monitor stop at 60 like almost all lcd monitors for notebooks ,never you will change at 100 or 120 even riva tunner gives that option because the hardware is limited to 60 so you cant change that from a software so guest usued to play at 60 :) i know i do :) and i play cs and css

if the monitor stop at 60 like almost all lcd monitors for notebooks

Wouldn't say, mine goes upto 75.

why do you want to go over 60????

because i want a higher fram rate in games

60 Hz is fine, if you want better fps in games, turn the settings down or get a better GPU, your eyes cant see >40hz refresh rate anyway.

when you start messing around with the refresh rate in screens, things go wrong. If your screen was designed for a 60hz refresh rate then keep it that way!

Human eyes can see past 40 MHz. Also, LCD scren doesn't work with MHz. For exemple, my laptop is set at 60MHz, but the screen response is 8ms, so 120 in MHz, which I did get even if there was only the 60 MHz option. Look at your fps in game to know what you have, and also look if there not an locked fps setting in the game

Guest MonkeyMhz
Human eyes can see past 40 MHz. Also, LCD scren doesn't work with MHz. For exemple, my laptop is set at 60MHz, but the screen response is 8ms, so 120 in MHz, which I did get even if there was only the 60 MHz option. Look at your fps in game to know what you have, and also look if there not an locked fps setting in the game

Wow your smart. Not. Monitors dont use Mhz, u mean Hz. And if u want more than 60fps. Why. So it plays a tiny bit smoother, All xbox360+ps3 games dont go over 24fps. And i find 30fps is perfect. If you want more than 60 fps. Unless u have a siick rig, its not gonna happen with newer games.

Get a CRT if u want more hz. And live with the bulkyness of a glass monster sitting infront of you.

The reason that ps3 or xbox360 games look smooth running at 24-30fps is because the monitor (the TV) is most often interlaced. On computer monitors, which are progressively scanned, 30fps looks incredibly jerky and feels quite slow. However, framerates of more than 60 really do not matter.

Guest MonkeyMhz
The reason that ps3 or xbox360 games look smooth running at 24-30fps is because the monitor (the TV) is most often interlaced. On computer monitors, which are progressively scanned, 30fps looks incredibly jerky and feels quite slow. However, framerates of more than 60 really do not matter.

I would disagree 30fps on a computer screen with vsync enabled looks amazing.