LaptopVideo2Go Forums

games and cpu

Guest focusman24

Guest focusman24

ok so i wanted to upgrade my cpu for my laptop my current is core 2 duo 1.8 in an acer aspire 6920g and want to upgrade to the Intel T9600 which is 2.8ghz and its socket P i want to know if it will fit in my mobo. I want to squeeze crysis with this.

Whats your current socket?? As I know socket M only goes up to 2.33....

yea i was also wondering if upgrading my T7500 2.2 was worth it... i have a M1530 socket p. maybe upgrading to a T9600 2.8?

is it worth it?

I think it is possible, some of th models do come with the penryn CPU's, they ARE the same socket from the Merom CPU's. you just need to make sure your bios is updated enough. but keep your current bios, purchase the new CPU if you want to, put it in first, boot it up, if it works, then leave it as is. if it does not work, swap to old cpu, visit acer for bios updates.

I know that my aspire 5920 is capable of penryn too, but it requires bios update.

Please keep in mind that there are two notebook chipsets that run Socket P.

The Acer Aspire 6920G/5920G uses the PM965 chipset ("Santa Rosa" platform) which can only use up to an 800 MHz FSB.

The newer Acers use the PM45 chipset ("Montevina" platform) which use the 1066 MHz FSB that the T9600 or T9400 requires.

Focusman, I've got the Aspire 6920G with the 1.83 GHz processor too. Look for an upgrade to a T8100 (2.1 GHz), T8300 (2.4 GHz), T9300 (2.5 GHz), or T9500 (2.6 GHz.) if you want a Penryn, or a T7700 (2.4) or T7800 (2.6) if you can find good deals on the older Merom processors. You could try the X9000 Extreme Processor at 2.8 GHz, but it has a higher TDP - your cooling solution may not be up to the task.

The T9400, T9600, and Pxx00 CPUs will NOT be compatible, so don't even bother.