LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 confirmed to be Windows 7

Dox

Microsoft confirms that its next Operating system will indeed be called "windows 7", which as we all may know was its code name.

Source

Hehe, do we wait for Windows 7.11 before updating, going back to numbers again.

Wonder if they are trying to get away from Apple and MacOS naming or just can't find a decent name for Windows.

MS have called it Windows 7 for some months now on their driver catalogue.

I actually think its a decent name - not gimmicky, striaght to the point (for me at least).

Now do we get the same reaction/ rants as going from xp - vista?

Microsoft confirms that its next Operating system will indeed be called "windows 7", which as we all may know was its code name.

Source

Huh ? by my count, it should be 9 :

1. Windows 1.0

2. Windows 2.0

2.1 windows/286

windows/386

3. windows 3.0 / 3.11

4. windows 95 windowsNT 3.51

5. windows 98 windowsNT 4.0

6. windows ME windows2000

7. windows XP windows2003

8. windows Vista windows2008

9. Windows 7

regardless, what I've never figured is why the suckers insist on calling it Windows.

A much more apt name would be Footprint, as in : the ever-growing memory footprint it requires.

So : Microsoft Footprint 9 vs Microsoft Windows 7.

Which has more user appeal ??? Anyone ???

cheers

envydyauser

I actually think its a decent name - not gimmicky, striaght to the point (for me at least).

Now do we get the same reaction/ rants as going from xp - vista?

Ofcourse we are :)

By the time it's out, Vista will be mainstream XP will be forgotten about.

And Win 7 will be rubbish as it's new and not like Vista which was not like XP which was not like '98 which was like '95 but not like 3.11 ....

From what I heard, windows 7 will be like vista but with new feature and less bug. But vista users will still need to pay for it. So I guess it means there will not be any service pack 2

From what I heard, windows 7 will be like vista but with new feature and less bug. But vista users will still need to pay for it. So I guess it means there will not be any service pack 2

Just because they release a new OS first, doesn't mean there will not be another service pack. I fully expect MS to release a SP2 for Vista which contains all of the bugfixes (but not the new features) for Windows Vista.

the only reason they released SP2 for XP was because in my opinion XP wasnt released half as "finished" as vista.

To me vista was released much more "complete" than XP ever was and after SP2 XP was like a new OS....

SP2 for vista would be like SP3 for XP - comulative updates all in one.

There are a few outstanding issues in Vista that I would like to see fixed. Most notably, slow scrolling in Firefox (and possibly IE) due to the DWM dropping to 30fps.

You will eventually warm to Vista, by eventually I mean in the indeterminable future. Then when windows 7 comes out, a whole new era of microsoft bashing will resume (sounds familiar). By then, sadly XP will be obsolete and Vista will have taken XP's place. I'm sure Vista SP2 will be the push that will convert everyone to Vista, just like a few years ago. However, I do believe that XP was initially more well received than Vista, hopefully we can see something like this in Windows 7.

Actually I'm no Vista hater by any means. It's just that the few PC games I do play have major issues in Vista. Admittedly they're relatively obscure console ports such as Metal Gear Solid 2, and simply clash with Vista's audio stack... the average PC gamer probably plays bigger name PC games. But I'm obviously going to use whatever operating system works best with the specific games that I play, it just makes sense :) XP64 gives me the additional benefit of 4GB RAM utilisation.

That's not to say I'm a Vista hater at all, I only removed my Vista partition because I never used it and wanted a single partition. I'll be approaching Windows 7 with an open mind, but I'm going to use whatever OS best meets my own personal, specific needs.

Guest S3r1ous
Actually I'm no Vista hater by any means. It's just that the few PC games I do play have major issues in Vista. Admittedly they're relatively obscure console ports such as Metal Gear Solid 2, and simply clash with Vista's audio stack... the average PC gamer probably plays bigger name PC games. But I'm obviously going to use whatever operating system works best with the specific games that I play, it just makes sense :) XP64 gives me the additional benefit of 4GB RAM utilisation.

That's not to say I'm a Vista hater at all, I only removed my Vista partition because I never used it and wanted a single partition. I'll be approaching Windows 7 with an open mind, but I'm going to use whatever OS best meets my own personal, specific needs.

Exactly my thoughts.

Try Vista 64-bit. It was very good experience for me but my pc can't handle such requirements very well so i went back to Windows XP 64-bit Edition.

lets not bash windows 7 before we've actually used it this time.

hum.. I thought they were going to call it Windows Vienna, sounds much more creative(and attractive :) ), but yes, I do agree with what you guys have said, XP ->Vista, how does that translate in the build differences. I don't hate vista so bad, especially during the beta stages, since aero works with XP drivers i recall... and it was pretty fast. I would still prefer the performence of XP in gaming yes, but for marketing purposes, DX10 for vista only did make me stick with Vista, AND got me used to vista. not that i like to brag, but if overclocking is possible, I do it to compensate the performence drop in Vista, if not, better liek i did for both my laptop and desktop.(alittle different senario on my aspire one, don't want to OC that baby.)

Morris Lee

I like the name. I think it is simple, to the point, and meaningful, unlike the names of XP and Vista.