LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need a new Budget GameBook

BitzFreak

Hello,

My first post went dead, seems no one want's to help me witch my GeForce Go 7600. But I decided my only option is to buy a new *game*book. Witch NVidia graphics, of course. My budget is around ?900 (I'm dutch). I want to play games like:

• Crysis
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Far Cry
  • GTA IV

I have found a notebook witch a 9600M GT. But is it good? I wan't much graphical power for my budget as possible. Any tips?

BitzFreak

PS: I want 17' Inch, or is another display format better?

i have 8700gt SLI video cards. thats probably the minimum you'll want to have for those games. possibly a 9800m GTS or 8800m GTX non sli will be ok as well.

not sure what your country offers. have a look around

i have 8700gt SLI video cards. thats probably the minimum you'll want to have for those games. possibly a 9800m GTS or 8800m GTX non sli will be ok as well.

I can't find any notebooks witch that card? Suggest some models please... Note my budget is around ?800/900...

BitzFreak

Probably it's not enough, I'd guess at least about 1200 ? or more.

But what's a good notebook for that budget. Better a 9600M GT or a 8600M GT? I just haven't got more money to spend on this, that's it. So what's the best notebook for my budget? I have allready four books in mind:

Acer Aspire 7730G-734G64MN (9600M GT, 512MB, (G)DDR3)

HP Pavilion dv7-1070ed (9600M GT, 512MB, (G)DDR3)

Acer Aspire 7720G-602G50MN (8600M GT, 512MB, (G)DDR2)

MSI Megabook GX700-252NL (8600M GT, 512MB, (G)DDR2)

Any suggestions? Witch notebook has the best performeance?

BitzFreak

could try the gatewat P-7811FX

should be in that price range. comes with a 9800GTS

if you are going for 8600 GT then make sure its DDR3 ram. a lot faster.

And which card is better? A 9600M GT or a 8600M GT? Any benchmarks?

BitzFreak

For that kind of money you can get a laptop with a 9800M GT. A single one of those is what I would recommend for those games.

SLi is not effective. You dont get 2 cards running at 100%. By having 2 cards you bog down your processor that much more and get maybe a 60-70% performance increase by having 2 cards. Its better to go with 1 very powerful card than 2 weak cards in SLi. By doing that you preserve CPU power.

I would get a 9500GS or above. I can play all of those games fine with my 9500GS 512Mb DDR2 card and atleast a 2.5Ghz Intel processor. You can get a Q6600 or even an Extreme series processor but those will be out of your range.

The 9600GT is better than an 8600GT. The 9500GS is better than an 8600GT and its essentially the same card with the exception that the 9500 is made with a smaller die process so it runs cooler. The 9600GT is DDR3.

Edited by Whitedragon551

SLi is not effective. You dont get 2 cards running at 100%. By having 2 cards you bog down your processor that much more and get maybe a 60-70% performance increase by having 2 cards. Its better to go with 1 very powerful card than 2 weak cards in SLi. By doing that you preserve CPU power.

I would get a 9500GS or above. I can play all of those games fine with my 9500GS 512Mb DDR2 card and atleast a 2.5Ghz Intel processor. You can get a Q6600 or even an Extreme series processor but those will be out of your range.

The 9600GT is better than an 8600GT. The 9500GS is better than an 8600GT and its essentially the same card with the exception that the 9500 is made with a smaller die process so it runs cooler. The 9600GT is DDR3.

yea, i agree.

i dont think an extreme series processor will be in a budget notebook, but id FOR SURE look for a 2.5-2.6Ghz processor, which is good performance/price.

Also id defiantly suggest 9600GT or better, not sli, for the cpu usage issue and price. 1 very nice gpu is good enough.

And most likely the company will OVERCHARGE for ram, so if you think its way to much, go with 2GB and upgrade to 4GB yourself.

And finally, i recommend a 7500RPM harddrive, its not the most important thing but it defiantly improves loading times.

with these specs, youd make a pretty nice gaming rig :)

Edited by coolcop06

We have "weak" 8700M GTs in SLI because it was the fastest thing available earlier last year for laptops.

But yeah if you get an SLI setup now it should be with either the 8800M GTX or the 9800M GT.

And it IS worth it, especially in games like UT3 and Crysis warhead.

We have "weak" 8700M GTs in SLI because it was the fastest thing available earlier last year for laptops.

But yeah if you get an SLI setup now it should be with either the 8800M GTX or the 9800M GT.

And it IS worth it, especially in games like UT3 and Crysis warhead.

again true, but there is also price issue. im assuming a 8800 GTX and especially the 9800M GT in SLI is not going to be in a budget gaming notebook. or very cost effective on top of that...

to me, 1 nice GPU is more than enough, especially if your strapped by money.

You can get the new Monetvina processor at 2.5Ghz with a 9600GT DDR3 GPU for about $1500 USD. I dont know what the conversion rate is though.

You can get the new Monetvina processor at 2.5Ghz with a 9600GT DDR3 GPU for about $1500 USD. I dont know what the conversion rate is though.

that would be a pretty nice gaming rig to start off with. just try to add 7500rpm hdd and ram if possible.

and if im not mistaken dutch use the euro?? so... thats about 1100 euro. 200 over but if you can squeeze 1200 euro (300 over), you could get a pretty nice gaming rig. :)

I have a 5400.4 RPM HD by Seagate. Its the Momentus and its only 5400. Its still just as fast as the other 7200RPM HDs because of the larger L2 cache it has. Anything above 5400RPMs will increase the heat and affect the longevity and stability of the laptop. Especially if your going after a higher end GPU. I would set aside $50-$60 for a nice Zalman laptop cooler to keep the temp down as much as possible.

I have a 5400.4 RPM HD by Seagate. Its the Momentus and its only 5400. Its still just as fast as the other 7200RPM HDs because of the larger L2 cache it has. Anything above 5400RPMs will increase the heat and affect the longevity and stability of the laptop. Especially if your going after a higher end GPU. I would set aside $50-$60 for a nice Zalman laptop cooler to keep the temp down as much as possible.

hmm, well i dunno but between my 5400rpm and 7200rpm hdd's i feel that my 7200 does have superior load times. have you replaced your hdd? cause maybe after market 5400rpm hdd's are just as fast, but for budget sake and not wanting to replace alot of parts id go straight for the 7200rpm hdd.

besides my hdd temp idles between 35-40c, and playing games goes up to 45-49c. to me this isnt that hot...

and yes, i would defiantly set money aside for a laptop cooler, you can get the Zalman ZM-NC1000 for $30 i think on newegg.

Hey Bitz,

Just pick the best GPU that you can afford, you shouldn't care that much about CPU, as good GPU + weak CPU will work a lot better than good CPU + weak GPU or medium CPU and medium GPU. Core 2 Duo 2Ghz+ will be enough in my opinion.

To help you imagine difference between the cards (approximate results, could vary more or less on different platforms):

8600M GS - will get around 2500pts in 3dmark06.

8600M GT - 3500pts

9500M GS - 3500pts

8700M GT - 4500pts

8800M GTS - 7500pts

8700M GT SLI - 8500pts

8800M GTX - 9000pts

8800M GTX SLI - 13000pts

Sorry but I'm kind of out of topic if it comes to most of the 9xxxM models so I can't say much about them.

Pick 2 GB of RAM (4 GB is a waste of money as no game needs that much of memory). Anyway you could buy additional ram after a year or two if you'll need it.

PS: I want 17' Inch, or is another display format better?

17' would be awesome, but remember - the bigger screen, the bigger resolution you need to run games at for good quality... In addition 17's are ofcourse more expensive. If I were you, I'd choose 15,4' (I got one at this moment and I'm pretty much satisfied) and pick some better GPU for the spare money.

(sorry for the confusing language, I'm Polish :P)

Edited by Claw

My Seagate Momentus came stock in my Asus laptop. I would use 3Gbs of RAM. 2Gbs isnt enough anymore and loading times will be slow. Especially if you will be gaming. If you have a good GPU and a slow CPU you wont be able to play the games mentioned. They require atleast a 3Ghz processor. A C2D at 2.5Ghz is about the same as 6.17Ghz which is huge. Its not expensive and its a great.

With the HD heat Im not talking about the temp of the HD itself. Im talking about the heat that the excessively fast spinning of it creates. The heat that it gives off.

With a 17" like was mentioned will require a larger resolution to look normal which will require a better GPU to reach those resolutions which will hike the prices up quite a bit. 15.4" is perfect for portability and gaming.

yes, most core2duo's will suffice for your gaming needs. but a slow cpu WILL bottleneck your gpu.

thats why i suggest a 2.5-2.6ghz core2duo, it isnt the best one but it defiantly isnt slow either.

as far as gpu goes i like the 9600GT. its a nice card. the 9800 would be great.

is none of these, id go for a 8800 GTX or GTS.

and as far as ram id go with 2gb initially because of the overpriced ram deal, but i wouldnt go for 3gb because it would not utilize the dual channel. this really does help. so id say either 2gb, or 4.

and finally i havent really noticed extreme temps givin by my hdd, so performance wise anyways id really suggest if you can go for the 7200 rpm.

and yes, 15.4" are better resolution wise, although you have to remember ventalation on a 15.4 is less than a 17, and may have heat problems. but personally, id suggest a 15.4 (smaller, lighter, easier), but its mostly user opinion.

Edited by coolcop06

I have a 17' Notebook carry bag. I have 15.4 now, and I'm tired of that tiny screen. I want something bigger. But I can't find any laptops witch a 9800GT. Remember I'm dutch, so I can't buy: Gateway, Alienware, or something like that. I can buy brands like ASUS, Acer, MSI, HP, Toshiba... And none of them have a 9800M GT

BitzFreak

Edited by BitzFreak

what about 9700M GT? doesnt asus have that in single gpu and sli??

and 9600 GT. i wouldnt go below that, but those are still great cards...

and dont leave out the 8800's either... hahaha. youve got alot of options.

what about 9700M GT? doesnt asus have that in single gpu and sli??

and 9600 GT. i wouldnt go below that, but those are still great cards...

and dont leave out the 8800's either... hahaha. youve got alot of options.

Yeah, I know, but I can't find any laptops with a 8800 either...

BitzFreak

Edit: The 9700GT is VERY expensive

Edited by BitzFreak

mm true... dont give up yet, do your research and look around...

im sure youll find something thats suits you, you might have to look for a 9600M GT, which is pretty cheap. youll just have to look around...

I have a 17' Notebook carry bag. I have 15.4 now, and I'm tired of that tiny screen. I want something bigger. But I can't find any laptops witch a 9800GT. Remember I'm dutch, so I can't buy: Gateway, Alienware, or something like that. I can buy brands like ASUS, Acer, MSI, HP, Toshiba... And none of them have a 9800M GT

BitzFreak

The new 9800M GT will be out by November I bet.

It will be available on the Clevo M860TU, (15.4 inch) and probably on their other 17 inch model.

You can also get a D901C with a single card and room to upgrade. (17 inch)

You really don't wanna get a 96xx/97xx card.