LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help installing driver please in Vista

Mistral1

When trying to uninstall the old Nvidea driver in Vista it asks for a reboot , After I reboot Vista it starts installing the original driver and there apears to be no way to stop this auto install of the original Nvidea driver by the Vista OS !

Any ideas how I can stop it doing this to give me time to load the driver I have downloaded from here ?

TIA :)

Edited by Mistral1

I used Driver Cleaner for this task. They have specific documentation to prevent what your describing from happening. You must follow it in the exact order as the site says. What I did was copied the text and pasted it into notepad and saved it so I could view the steps on my laptop in safe mode while I was performing them.

1. Disconnect the computer from the internet

2. Uninstall driver from Add or Remove Programs

3. Reboot into Safe Mode

4. On reboot into safe mode it is possible that Windows XP or higher will auto detect and install drivers.

5. Navigate to device manager->select the category->uninstall or remove but do not reboot

6. Disable any Antivirus Software

7. Run Driver Cleaner.NET

8. Empty recycle bin and reboot

9. Install the new driver

Driver Cleaner

The steps I posted are under documentation and instructions.

Thanks will try it :)

Make sure you have the driver before you do it with the .inf in place. It makes the transfer and install much easier than having to wait. Im not sure what GPU you have, but Im using the latest WHQL driver, v178.26

Make sure you have the driver before you do it with the .inf in place. It makes the transfer and install much easier than having to wait. Im not sure what GPU you have, but Im using the latest WHQL driver, v178.26

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, how would I find the GPU on this HP dv9710ea /7150m ?

I'm tearing my hair out with this black screen issue now been at it for 2 weeks and nothing seems to work :) :P :)