LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PhysX v8.10.13

mobilenvidia

NVIDIA PhysX System Software WHQL

Version: 8.10.13

Release Date: 21.10.2008

Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)

Language: U.S. English

File Size: 34.3 MB

PhysX 8.10.13

I haven't found my PhysX demos yet after 180.42/8.10.13 install...

probably they are missing from this.

This driver is about 20MB smaller than previous versions

Hello !

I have some question.

I have an XPS M1730 with:

Vista 32bits Ultimate

SLI 8800M GTX

AGEIA PhysX PPU Card

T9300 @2.5GHz

I was thinking about Far Cry 2... which seems that the last drivers (180.42) are optimized for this game, and given that those PhysX drivers are included to the 180.42 drivers, I was thinking that they are also optimized for Far Cry 2!

Am I right ?

As you can see, I have an AGEIA PhysX Card. But as you may know, nvidia bought AGEIA and created the CUDA, instead of keeping selling the card itself (the card that was selling by AGEIA).

I want to know something: is this card still handled by nVidia ? I mean, does nVidia work on their PhysX drivers for the CUDA only, or for the AGEIA card too ?

I think the second answer is right: nVidia generate drivers that are compatible with this card (good for us, owners of this card) and so, they optimize this card too.

So, I was also wondering if is it better that having a separate card which does the "PhysX's job" instead of "emulating" the PhysX technology on cards that have not the CUDA engine included: in my case, I have and SLi of 8800M GTX which can "emultae" this technology.... So, I better do by activing the "AGEIA Acceleration" or not ? Is that much better ?

Do you know if that will really optimize my graphic system (SLI + PhysX card) for this game (and the other too? )

Does someone have any test that can proove that ?

Thanks a lot for the future answers and for the people who do that great job !!

180.42 is introducing the 2nd gen SLi

Physx 8.10.13 is just an updated physx driver probably to also make use of the newer SLi

I would safely guess these are not optimized for Farcry as such just an excuse to release a driver with new technology.

I haven't found my PhysX demos yet after 180.42/8.10.13 install...

probably they are missing from this.

Same to me too

No Physx control panel, Physx properties goes to Nvidia control panel.

How can I check that Photoshpo CS4 Extended Final use PhysX or not ?

There's just on/off for PhysX.

This driver does NOT recognize the physx card on my laptop. I have the m1730 with the 8700m sli and everytime I restart I get an unknown hardware pop-up and unknown pci device in my device manager. I had to switch back to v8.09.04 from the nvidia website to get it to recognize my physx and for the "unknown hardware" issue to go away. I am using the 180.42 nvidia drivers that are supposed to go with this physx driver version by the way.

Edit: the physx drivers v8.10.13 did install with the 180.42 drivers and I noticed this problem after that. I also tried to reinstall physx v8.10.13 seperately and it still didn't work. So now I have the 180.42 drivers with physx v8.09.04 and it seems to work.

Edited by tnad

180.42 has these drivers build in.

And should install automatically.

So installing these separately is not needed.

These drivers are 20MB smaller than previous so something is missing from them

This driver does NOT recognize the physx card on my laptop. I have the m1730 with the 8700m sli and everytime I restart I get an unknown hardware pop-up and unknown pci device in my device manager. I had to switch back to v8.09.04 from the nvidia website to get it to recognize my physx and for the "unknown hardware" issue to go away. I am using the 180.42 nvidia drivers that are supposed to go with this physx driver version by the way.

Edit: the physx drivers v8.10.13 did install with the 180.42 drivers and I noticed this problem after that. I also tried to reinstall physx v8.10.13 seperately and it still didn't work. So now I have the 180.42 drivers with physx v8.09.04 and it seems to work.

SOLUTION. :P

Here's what you do. Don't uninstall the 8.09.04 physx driver.

Now that you have the 180.42 driver, install the new physx 8.10.13 while 8.09.04 is still installed. It will actually update the physx for you. The installer removes old files automatically that aren't necessary anymore as part of the update, then it will update to the new ones and at the same time will keep the driver for the card intact (current physx Ageia card driver is 1.1.1.15 and has been since last year).

You will still have the "NVIDIA physx" separate control panel listed as you normally would in the windows control panel (sweet!), however if GPU physx is enabled on the 180.42 in the physx/sli tab of the Nvidia control panel, then you will see a message in the old "NVIDIA physx" settings tab that says "Configure GeForce Physx Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel".

To fix this, go to the new Nvidia controls for physx, select "Disable" for GPU physx, then go back to the old "NVIDIA physx" control panel and voila! Ageia physx is now available to select for you as normal. And it works properly too :) Tested on UT3 and works as normal on the Ageia PPU.

For the record, Ageia always made a point of saying in their updates "Don't uninstall the old physx software before you update". That tradition appears to have carried through to Nvidia, as I still have not uninstalled a physx package even though Nvidia are in charge now, and I have no problems with doing it this way. It updates every time for me without hassle, automatically removing old files first as necessary during the installer and finally it updates to the new files.

Have fun :)

Edited by Frosty the Snowman

SOLUTION. :P

Here's what you do. Don't uninstall the 8.09.04 physx driver.

Now that you have the 180.42 driver, install the new physx 8.10.13 while 8.09.04 is still installed. It will actually update the physx for you. The installer removes old files automatically that aren't necessary anymore as part of the update, then it will update to the new ones and at the same time will keep the driver for the card intact (current physx Ageia card driver is 1.1.1.15 and has been since last year).

You will still have the "NVIDIA physx" separate control panel listed as you normally would in the windows control panel (sweet!), however if GPU physx is enabled on the 180.42 in the physx/sli tab of the Nvidia control panel, then you will see a message in the old "NVIDIA physx" settings tab that says "Configure GeForce Physx Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel".

To fix this, go to the new Nvidia controls for physx, select "Disable" for GPU physx, then go back to the old "NVIDIA physx" control panel and voila! Ageia physx is now available to select for you as normal. And it works properly too :) Tested on UT3 and works as normal on the Ageia PPU.

For the record, Ageia always made a point of saying in their updates "Don't uninstall the old physx software before you update". That tradition appears to have carried through to Nvidia, as I still have not uninstalled a physx package even though Nvidia are in charge now, and I have no problems with doing it this way. It updates every time for me without hassle, automatically removing old files first as necessary during the installer and finally it updates to the new files.

Have fun :P

cool thanks :)

Thanks a lot Frosty, that fixed the problem with recognizing the ppu. I guess it also fixed the problem with people seeing their Physx control panel.

um.. i installed the new 180.43 drivers, then installed PhysX 8.09.04 drivers, then PhysX 8.10.13... The problem is, I can't even find the old nVidia PhysX control panel :)

can someone help me get the old control panel plz?

Oh, and the PhysX 8.10.13 version also removed the demo files, which were installed by the 8.09.04 version (I saw it remove the demo files during the installation)

Edited by juS

That's what the installer does; you can only disable/enable PhysX in Nvidia Control Panel :)

ok now i installed the 180.43 xp drivers again, then installed only the PhysX 8.09.04 drivers, now I have the separate Physx control panel. But now i'm afraid to install the PhysX 8.10.13 drivers, cuz i think they might delete the old Physx control panel...

If you are using Vista 64 BIT have a look in your Control panel. It will be under Windows Vista 32 Control panel. Thats where mine is and it does update it to the latest one. Hope this helps.

If you are using Vista 64 BIT have a look in your Control panel. It will be under Windows Vista 32 Control panel. Thats where mine is and it does update it to the latest one. Hope this helps.

This still only opens up the PhysX page on the nV control panel...

• 2 weeks later...

It does now here - but is pretty slow.

• 3 weeks later...

The new version comes with CrazyMachines2 demo.

Whilst installation of CM2 demo you can open your temp folder and make a backup of PhysX_8.10.29_SystemSoftware.exe

This is the same revision 2.8.1.15 as in the october update of the SDK.

Looks like NVIDIA got tired of creating new versions with different procedure entry pointsCray Machines2 Demo Download

Edited by bugmenot