LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I'm sorry, but I am out of options - 8600m GT + black screen..

CDRK

Greetings,

First of, I apologize if this problem has been posted before, but I tried several searches, with result, but I keep getting the same problem. I did get some info in several threads but with no result. Now I am posting in Safe-mode because I cant get my normal windows to function propertly. Let me explain.

* Laptop Make/Model & Graphics Card

Ahtec Sense XFL90 15,4 NVIDIA 8600MGT 512MB CAM/BT

CPU INTEL CORE2DUO T7500 (2,2Ghz/800Mhz/4MB)

(Sorry I don't know my Device ID?)

* Current working Driver Version & Last Useable Driver Version

Well I guess none now. The one I had installed before this one was I believe in the 160's.

* Operating System

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32bits)

* An accurate description of the issue at hand

I've tried several drivers from this forum. The one I had installed before this problem occurs was some where in the 160's drivers. I am sorry I already uninstalled that driver and forgot wich one it exactly was. If there is a way to know wich one it was, let me know and Ill try and find out.

Now when I wanted to install new drivers I believe I uninstalled the old one and tried to install the new one, wich was 180.42

It didn't work, so I tried several older ones. I searched the forum for drivers wich people suggested for the 8600m GT. (with the uninstall/install included) After the installation was finished my laptop had to reboot and so it did. It shows the vista loading screen, sometimes it shows the vista logo screen as well. But after that the screen gets totally black. It happens that the screen is already black before the vista logo screen and I can hear the sound, wich it makes when it gets on the vista logo screen. So I know it's there but the screen is just black. Since I know after the logo screen I have to log in my account, wich I can do while it is having the black screen. Also I can hear when logging in is finished and after that my screen stays black.

Today I searched the forums again and tried cleaning the laptop from drivers using http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=18820 how to clean thread.

I followed it completely, installed driver sweeper and it worked out in Safe mode. still After uninstalling the Gfx card it tells me to reboot. I did but it re-installs directly after reboot and I cant cancel it. So I tried it with those drivers, but with failed results.

Now I have 179.13 installed but when I go back to normal windows mode it agains gives me the black screen. So I have to reboot again and can only "see" in Safe Mode.

I've to admit I don't know that much about graphics cards and drivers, but I read alot and follow guides. I know it's hard getting the laptop drivers. Normally I wouldn't ask because I am more of a lurker then being active on the boards, but I really need it fixxed. Also because I have an Ahtec, wich I rarely see anyone else posting with/about it. I heard it's almost the same as Acer/Asus/Compal, altho I am not sure..I am in my holidays, but do have college stuff. I could do it in Safe mode, but I really just want it fixxed :s. I hope you guys can help me in the good direction because I don't know what else to do now.

Thanks in Advance,

If you need to know more, please do let me know!

* attached NERD log

Please go here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N09LOGZN

because I got this error:

Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is writeable

/edit

I forgot to mention that I can get back in normal windows mode by uninstalling the driver, but that doesn't fix it and I then have no new/up-to-date driver :)

is this my Device_ID? PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_002514C0&REV_A1\4&1FFCF423&0&0008

Edited by CDRK

This notebook is a rebranded compal IFL90.

Try this driver straight from ahtec for this notebook: ahtec vga driver

Thanks, I installed the drivers from ahtec. The driver seems to work fine and the screen isn't black anymore.

Pretty stupid, because I knew they had them and I have these drivers backed up (with all other drivers).

It's good that the black screen is gone with this driver, but I believe this driver is pretty old.

It says ForceWare version is 156.10. I wouldnt mind having the most recent driver for the 8600m GT

installed and working as it should be. :s

I just dont understand why all the other drivers from this forum give me black screens

and this (old) one just works fine :)

I'd appriciate if you or anyone knows how to fix this or what to do to get one of the recent drivers installed :s.

Why didn't 180.42 work? Did you use the modded inf?

Onto the black screen... I think adding the line below to the nvar.inf should help (just copy and paste it at the end of the text, in the new line). Next install the driver and see if it works.

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Why didn't 180.42 work? Did you use the modded inf?

Onto the black screen... I think adding the line below to the nvar.inf should help (just copy and paste it at the end of the text, in the new line). Next install the driver and see if it works.

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 1

The 180.42 doesn't fully install. It stays stuck halfway the installation bar and then quits. And it gives me the message that it didn't install propertly.

I did use the modded inf.

I also tried what you said. edited the modded nvar.inf from 180.42 and 179.13. (then pasted it in the extracted folders)

Cleaned the drivers (using the driver sweeper in Safe Mode) rebooted and installed 180.42 with the Have-Disk method (because I knew setup.exe gave me the above installation fault. Rebooted the computer, but the screen stayed black.

After that I went back in Safe mode, cleaned the drivers again, rebooted and installed 179.13. I did saw the vista logo and the log in screen.

I logged in and maybe 5 seconds after logging in, the screen went black. I let it stay for several minutes, but to no result.

:)

Edited by CDRK

The 180.42 doesn't fully install. It stays stuck halfway the installation bar and then quits. And it gives me the message that it didn't install propertly.

I did use the modded inf.

The same happened to me but the driver was installed (checked the dll versions wit RivaTuner); I thought PhysX was just clashing with the earlier version.

Well I now have installed 176.37 and so far it seems to work.

No black screen..man this is weird, why cant I get one of the newer 18*.** drivers installed and work propertly...?

Well I just mailed Ahtec with the hope they can help me..

I got a CoD5 Beta key and installed the game.

tried to play it but after 10 min or so the game crashes (the laptop does feels pretty hot)

s*** happens with alot of new games that I wanted to play.

So I am really out of options now

cant get new drivers installed becaus of the black screen problem.

so I am stuck on old gfx driver

cant play game because they tell me to update my drivers and if I do play them

they crash between 5 to 15 minutes...