LaptopVideo2Go Forums

OMG WTF FTW Far Cry 2!

Guest Guest

LOL. Im so excited right now the adrenaline just kicked in. On Monday October 21st. Far Cry 2 WAS suposed to be released. It was in the USA on the 22nd for sure, but noooo. Canada the country where the game was created has to wait a couple more days. I was disapointed, going to futureshop on monday after work and seeing the guy stare blankly at me. Anyways, I checked on their site and there was a little X for it not being in stock in that location. Every day ive been checking, this morning i checked and it was agian a X. But i thought no worries. Tommorow is friday and the futureshop guy told me it would be in by Friday. But now. On my late lunch break, I just took a look and bam its a Check mark! They have it in stock apparently. So after work today in about 1.5 hours im gonna go there and get myself a copy of farcry2. If its not there im going to be pissed. But then again i can get it tommorow if it wasnt there today. But i hope it is there today. Anyways. :) I cant wait!. Im pumped. And after I get it ill update you guys on how it runs on my laptops 8600GT/OC and ill make a post.

What people are afraid of: But wait isnt the economy really bad in the world, you shouldent be spending money and buying games when any day now we could go into a recession...

Me: I don't care, Ill live like survivor man if i have to. Ill eat a squirrel it doesent bother me, as long as I have a siick PC and Far Cry 2 to comfort me. =)

lol.

wow... you sound pretty pumped. Hope for your sake ubisoft have not released another resource hog like crysis and even warhead.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Crysis was a hog, Crysis Warhead was much better but still on the steep side, But i got away with running it in Gamer on shaders mainstream on everyhting else in 1024x768 or 1280x720(Definetly not in some levels) with good fps. Or I could run everything on Enthusiast/Gamer with Shaders on Mainstream and get good fps in 1280x720.

mmm.. i ran with 1980x 1080 will everything on high except textures on ultra high and ran really well. ony thing was fire. anywhere with fire slowed down 10 FPS. last level was pathetic. had to change resolution to 1600x1000. they should have work on that way more. Alone in the dark had better fire and was programmed very well.

i might pay far cry 2 a visit. only trouble i get lost often in games that are too big. not much of a gamer obviously.

just quietly... im looking forward to fall out 3. even pre purchased a copy. what a geek! haha

Guest MonkeyMhz

Hey, I got it, but there was a lot of traffic today so it took me a extra 30 mins to get home on the bus. Disappointing yet funny, this is the first time ive ever had a problem at futureshop. Ive bought Bioshock, Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect, UT3 all at futureshop and they've always sold it to me with no questions asked. Today the lady asked for ID or proof that im 18, Well i didn't have it. Mainly cuz I don't have a drivers license cuz I use the bus and probably wont drive for at least another year or two till i get a real uber job. Right now i work at a university in digital imaging for librarys and stuff. Im straight out of grade 12, first year after high school. Im 18. Saving money to go to 3D school, i already do some 3d and programming. Anyways, after I stood there trying to dig up something in my bag that shows that I work at a university, she saw that I had like university forms and she just said ok, good enough w/e. So thats good but I guess ill have to walk around with my passport from on now or get my drivers license soon cuz it was ridiculous. Lol anyways after that disaster Im now finally home and installing the game, ill post back soon. = )

Guest MonkeyMhz

Fantastic. Just started the game, ill keep u updated when i get into heavy battle, but so far, 1680X1050 RESOULTION! ALL Options to High with Textures on Ultra High, 26 FPS Average!

Lovin it!

Guest MonkeyMhz

After playing it now for a hour or so i realized 1680x1050 all high gets a lil slow in big battles.

Pretty much i can run mix of medium and high in 1680x1050 with decent fps like 25-30. Or i can run all High, some on very high and ultra high on textures. 1280x720 and ill get 28-37 fps.

Here is my first impressions.

First of all the game won't run cause of the SecuROM BS.

I uninstalled my emulation devices (which I shouldn't have to, and wasn't mounting the game with) and it still didn't run.

I now have the crack and the game works fine, without having to do a BS DVD check. I also have my emulators installed again for mounting up Blu-ray movies and things.

Someone really needs to do something bad to that SecuROM company.

Anyway onto the actual game.

For whatever reason it only installs about 3.15 GB to your hard drive. The 12 GB of space that the box says is required is a complete lie.

I loaded up the game and set all the settings to the highest at 1920x1200 and it runs nice and smooth. This definitely isn't like Crysis.

The graphics aren't quiet as good but they are still very good. The particle/lighting effects are good, but there isn't as much foliage. (then again its not a tropical island)

The game's story looks pretty interesting and it appears to be a very big open world game.

I won't really have time to play it until this weekend though. (I have homework and other things planned this weekend) I just watched the drive by intro.

I need to set up the controls first and test those new 180 series drivers. But the game appears to run just fine on the old 177.92. No graphics corruption like Crysis.

If those new drivers are really optimized I can probably run at least 4x AA on top of the game's highest settings.

I haven't gotten into any big action parts yet so I bet the game will slow down on me at some point, but the first impression is the game is playable at highest settings on my older SLI setup at 1080p.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Yea, I agree that securom has to go sooner or later or just have a different checking method, it shouldent make u unistalll stuff. I luckily didn't have to unistall anything, but securom pisses me off. Aside from that the most annoying thing with the game right now is i hate puting that DVD in each time i play like wtf. It should let you play without the DVD, mass effect lets me play without the cd, this is the first game ive come across in a while that needs a cd to play. It disturbs me. Im gonna have to get a crack for it.

Im loving the game though, i didn't get too play too much but todays friday and after work ill have the whole weekend.

Btw about the size of teh game it only takes 3.5gb however, i belive it says it requires 12gb cuz I bet that map and most the textures are Packaged and when you play or sumthin it probably streams/extracts them, needing like 12gb for swap probably. But lol yea they compressed their files well, i thought the game was gonna be huge like 10GB.

Graphics, I wouldent compair them to crysis for one reason, crysis is fixed. You can't really explore in crysis, half the hills in crysis have nothing on them but a lower texture res and trees to cover it up. As for Far Cry 2 is a huge arse map like its gigantic were mostly everythign is exploreable, when i started driving around i realized how big it is. Theres like savana and like jungle and tons i needa explore more. But Far Cry 2 is pretty nice, however i think tis directx10 mode has some problems, because i play fine in dx9, i switch it to dx10 and its like microlag everywere making it completely unplayable, even the intro logos barely ran. I looked on google and ppl with GTX280s have the same problem so its not just me, somone said it had something to do with aero and another person said they have to release a fix. But honestly i dont really care since the dx9 is running and looking good.

I also tried some benchmarks last night before i went to sleep using the benchmark tool, and i was a bit confused when i tried it. At first i did everything 1280x720 all high, with geometry medium. And i got like a average of 32.2 FPS, and then i tried with everythign exactly the same, but i set textures to ultra high and i got .4 More fps on my average. I know .4 isnt much but i found that interesting why whould i get a performance increase?, i duno maybe i have to retest some more. However i can tell you that shadows are one of the things in Far Cry 2 that has the most impact.

If i turn Shadows to low and everythign else to Ultra High, i get nice fps in 1280x720. lol. But right now im just continuing to play all high with Textures Ultra High and geometry to medium.

Ill probably do some tweaking this week too and get back to you with some more info.