LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Dox

More details emerge about windows vista sp2.

Beta testing to start on wednes oct 29 for a select few.

Some planned features:

In addition to previously released updates since the launch of Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista SP2 contains changes focused on supporting new types of hardware and adding support for several emerging standards:

* Windows Vista SP2 adds Windows Search 4.0 for faster and improved relevancy in searches.

* Windows Vista SP2 contains the Bluetooth 2.1 Feature Pack supporting the most recent specification for Bluetooth Technology.

* Ability to record data on to Blu-Ray media natively in Windows Vista.

* Adds Windows Connect Now (WCN) to simplify Wi-Fi Configuration.

* Windows Vista SP2 enables the exFAT file system to support UTC timestamps, which allows correct file synchronization across time zones.

Check out the Blog for more info.

A very helpful Valkirie has pointed this out to have it install:

If you want to try Vista Service Pack 2 - BETA.

1. Creatre a batch file called vista.bat

2. Put the following lines into it.

@echo off 

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp2 /f > NUL 2>&1 
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSP2 /f > NUL 2>&1 

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp2 /v Beta1 /t REG_SZ /d C21A5C64-2530-CC19-042F-9ABDB4ED27F9 /f 
pause

3. Restart Windows.

4. Go into Windows Update.

When you run the batch file make sure you run it as "Admininstrator" or it will not change anything.

Remember this is a BETA version of SP2 not the final version.

If you want to try Vista Service Pack 2 - BETA.

1. Creatre a batch file called vista.bat

2. Put the following lines into it.

@echo off 

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp2 /f > NUL 2>&1 
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSP2 /f > NUL 2>&1 

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp2 /v Beta1 /t REG_SZ /d C21A5C64-2530-CC19-042F-9ABDB4ED27F9 /f 
pause

3. Restart Windows.

4. Go into Windows Update.

Edited by Valkirie

Which one is better: exFAT or NTFS ?

Which one is better: exFAT or NTFS ?

exFAT is for removable media. (as a more feature-rich standard to FAT32)

NTFS is for your HDD.

Think of FAT32 as being universal where as NTSF is proprietary to Windows, hence Apple can't read it. FAT32 is old stuff, there isn't a system out there that can't read it, but its limited to files under 4GB in size so its not very handy. I'm don't know a whole lot about exFAT though.

...hence Apple can't read it...

The only reason Macs can't read NTFS is that Apple's engineers are too lazy/complacent to program a driver to read it. Most modern Linux distributions have full read-write access to NTFS by default, and this was done using reverse engineering.

Yes, but NTFS was designed and made for the use of Windows, the only reason Linux can read it is because it isn't a major company doing most of the coding for Linux. Its not that Apple isn't being lazy, its because its not theirs, sorta like the same thing now with the iPhone and flash.

SP2 installed, no major happenings yet:

VistaSP2.jpg

Yes, but NTFS was designed and made for the use of Windows, the only reason Linux can read it is because it isn't a major company doing most of the coding for Linux. Its not that Apple isn't being lazy, its because its not theirs, sorta like the same thing now with the iPhone and flash.

SP2 installed, no major happenings yet:

Any noticeable improvements?

Installed without incident, not seen anything new jump out at me

looks like so far all they done is accumulated updates since sp1 into 1 installer.

and you guys are brave installing beta SP!

I have a question for the people who installed SP2 beta. Do you still receive the regular windows updates? I seem to remember that with Windows XP SP3 Beta that it caused other updates not to work.

I had been on board since the original SP1 BETA for Vista, first one didn't go so well, but I got updates. Its to early to tell with SP2, but I'm gonna venture to say I will get updates. With XP SP3, there was a problem where it didn't update the updater and if you didn't update the update program before SP3 then it was unable to install new updates, but they fixed that with the IT Professional version of SP3.

Hi,

I just installed the update and I now see a "Safely remove NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT" in my task bar! I wish I could! LOL (defective GPU). Still, I noticed a little bit of an improvement in DPC latency. It's hard to tell since I've tried no fewer than 30 odd drivers each with varying results. I was getting an average of about 75 us and I'm now down to about 45 and it seems more stable with spikes to about 150 about twice a minute (which is still bad). I've had it running for several minutes and the worst spike was 986 which is WAY better than the show stopping 40k I was getting. Anyone else experienced this? Not sure why I still have hope for my card but seems to me something has changed for the better with sp2. Maybe I missed an important hotfix or something?

a.

oo how is it so far? any weird bugs?? performance increase??

do you guys still get updates?

im kinda wondering if i should try it.. i was doing the sp1 betas...

No bugs so far, but I should install it on my notebook to maybe use some of the new features. Other than that smooth sailing.

Does anybody know how to remove the Evaluation Copy watermark? I have read about it on the internet, but even after taking ownership of the system files I am unable to write in the new versions.

so are you guys still getting updates? i wanna try the beta but im not going to unless i still get updates.

SP2 feels a bit more snappier for me.