LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Do I Have to delete my driver before installing the new driver?

Guest Michael

Guest Michael

Hello.

Yesterday i bought Far Cry2. But its alway freezing. SO I read about the driver 180.42 that is optimized for Far Cry2. So I install the driver from your archive on my geforce go 7600. Know I#ve a question...do I have to delete my old driver before installing the 180.42 driver???

I don't know much about driver installing,so please help me :)

Guest Michael

I forgot to tell you that I alreade installed the driver....I 've extracted that folder to my deskzop. Then I add the modded inf and click on setup......then i installed it. I hope that was right. Sorry for doubleposting.

Yes, you always should uninstall your old driver. That can help you avoid various problems.

Also I think it's a good idea to use programs such as Driver Sweeper that delete files left out by Nvidia's uninstalling program.

I 've extracted that folder to my deskzop. Then I add the modded inf and click on setup......then i installed it. I hope that was right.

Yes.

Guest Michael

Okay hanks for your answer.

That means i can uninstall the driver in>>Device manager>>>M"MyCard">Properties>Driver>Uninstall

Use Driver Sweeper

And then i restart the computer...and install the new forceware driver. So is hthat right?

Thanks for your help.

Geesh Michael, I'm a bit disappointed. We go to the trouble to save our thoughts in FAQs and other posts so that others can benefit from them. And no one bothers to read them. :)

Please try taking a look over in this corner of the forum: nVision > News, FAQ & NVIDIA Drivers > FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) - Please read this section first! > Drivers. There you'll find pretty much all the basic answers to your questions within the pinned threads.

But to answer your thread title: YES!!! Removing the old driver version is absolutely essential, because you can't expect the new one to really clean out all the rubbish the old one will leave behind. There's no problem with installing from the desktop, but I find it just doesn't work like I want. I prefer to extract to a temporary directory so that I can delete [ALL] the original INFs and replace them with my modded INF before the install. One usually does a reboot after removing the driver directly to the safe mode. The driver cleaners work better that way, and are a basic necessity. Then reboot into normal mode and perform the install from that directory holding the driver components & the modded INF.

Guest Michael

Okay I#m really sorry for that. So next time i will look up in that area.

So Thanks for your help. :)

It was really easy. But there's one last question.

You know i saved a profile to keep my colors...and other configurations with that new driver.

So I imported that profile and load it. Than there was a error...Rundll.exe and much others..so even my anti vir programm.

Is that because the config of that profile is to old for that new driver?

But important is that he take my Desktop colors..so I#m happy now.

Thanks for your help! :)