LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Strange PC Problem You May Come Across One Day

Guest MonkeyMhz

Guest MonkeyMhz

Ok, like two days ago I came home and my sister complained about the desktop comptuer restarting every few mins. And i thought wtf. Needa check this out. I took a look we turned it on, within 4 mins it shutdown like shut right off. I thought maybe its teh GPU cuz it looked dusty, so i took the GPU out, cleaned it. Put it back. Nope still same problem, however, now it was restarting before it even started loading windows. It would show the bios and then shutdown, constantly. So i thought ok maybe ram, CPU?... I managed to get it to the desktop, CPU was at 34C, so thats fine. When it shut off that time i noticed the computer lights/keyboard light diming, flashing then shutting off. Before I jumped to the conclusion of getting a new power supply or seeing if my mother board was the problem/re-doing thermal paste on cpu and refiting it and swapping ram. I thought hmm, maybe try plugging it in the wall instead of power bar. I did that and it worked fine, its been on nearly 3 days no restarts being plugged into the wall. So obviously the power bar was the problem. However its strange how the power bar powers the speakers, LCD Screen, printer with no problems. Im guessing after the tiem we had it and power outs/surges it damaged the powerbar and it no longer can power something that takes as much as a computer. Whatever it was it was strange, and the power bar was the problem. Now on the new powerbar it works fine. I thought id let you all know so if you ever come across this you dont take ur pc in for repair or buy new parts when the problem is the power bar. :)

Altruists are an extinct genre nowadays. Thanks. Apparently power supplies are more sensitive to voltage oscillating than other devices.

Yes, this information is extremely helpful for people who I am sure will face this problem at one point or another. Thank you. By the way, I have seen you quite often on the forums. Have you considered registering? :)