LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Powermizer

Hiataby

Hello,

I'm reading lot of forums. Powermizer is the word that pops op a lot of time.

What the hell is powermizer and what does it?

Can you turn it on or off or what?

Thx

This could eventuate into a big question.

Powermizer is used basically to save power in laptops.

When you are not using openGL or D3D powermizer changes the mode that your GPU is in. So when you were playing a game or a 3D application, and then quit and do some word processing powermizer detects this and changed the GPU from Performance 3D into 2D mode. When watching a movie powermizer will go into 3D normal mode. This is also done to prolong the life of the GPU. Because if your GPU was at performance 3D all the time it would fry itself quickly.

Powermizer also changes the mode your GPU is in if the GPU gets too hot. Now this has caused an awefull lot of issues with cards, because in laptops the GPU can get very hot. Some people disable powermizer (myself included) but this still enables the card to change modes when not being used. So not really sure what this does.

Quite a few users have experiences 'downclocking'. THis is when you are playing a game and the FPS suddenly drop very low. The GPU has kicked into 2d mode to stop overheating. THis can be stopped/ fixed though.

Hope this ansers most of your questions

what powermizer does is when it detects a 2d application it downclocks your gpu to the low clock settings to save battery power, and when it detects a 3d app it ups your clocks to high speed settings.

this is what causes alot of times the "scroll lag" you see when web browsing.

im not sure about this but i think it can also downclock your gpu at high temps in game, but im not 100% sure about that.

anyways you can disable it by:

run "regedit", go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurentControlSet\Control\Video\{xx-xx-xx}\xxxx"

the "x's" depend on your specific system...

then scroll down to -

"PerfLevelSrc" and change its value to "3322"

"PowerMizerDefault" and change its value to "1"

"PowerMizerEnable" and change its value to "0"

"PowerMizerLevel" and change its value to "1"

"PowerMizerLevelAC" and leave its value at "1"

and "PowerSaverHsyncON" and change its value to "0"

Edited by coolcop06

I think that I'm one of the guys that has trouble with the downclocking. With BIAHH I have it a lot of time. Could it be the powermizer then?

How can I fix this problem? Bye disable the Powermizer?

Thx

I think that I'm one of the guys that has trouble with the downclocking. With BIAHH I have it a lot of time. Could it be the powermizer then?

How can I fix this problem? Bye disable the Powermizer?

Thx

yes, try disabling powermizer.

what powermizer does is when it detects a 2d application it downclocks your gpu to the low clock settings to save battery power, and when it detects a 3d app it ups your clocks to high speed settings.

this is what causes alot of times the "scroll lag" you see when web browsing.

im not sure about this but i think it can also downclock your gpu at high temps in game, but im not 100% sure about that.

anyways you can disable it by:

run "regedit", go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurentControlSet\Control\Video\{xx-xx-xx}\xxxx"

the "x's" depend on your specific system...

then scroll down to -

"PerfLevelSrc" and change its value to "3322"

"PowerMizerDefault" and change its value to "1"

"PowerMizerEnable" and change its value to "0"

"PowerMizerLevel" and change its value to "1"

"PowerMizerLevelAC" and leave its value at "1"

and "PowerSaverHsyncON" and change its value to "0"

Sem%20título.JPG

As you can seeI cant find that lines in my registry :< Someone knows whats wrong?

Edited by idro

also look at downloading RMclock. often making the CPU throttle up constantly will also make the fan cycle up too. this will cool the whole system down.

do a search on here on how to use it. i have posted quite a few tutorials on how to use it effectively