LaptopVideo2Go Forums

ASUS motherboards

wook

Sydney, Australia, October 31, 2008

"ASUS, manufacturer of world-leading motherboards, has announced the most advanced and highest performing enthusiast motherboard at present: the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Rampage II Extreme.

Rampage.jpg

Supporting the new Intel CPU chipset, the ROG Rampage II Extreme enables users to reap the performance benefits of Intel?s latest processor microarchitecture including increased speed, superior multitasking, DDR3-1800(OC) memory support and greater energy efficiency.

The ROG Rampage II Extreme also realises the overclocker?s dream ? SLI graphics technology on an Intel chipset-based platform. Many users have risked ?bricking? their motherboards and voiding warranties by running cracked SLI drivers on unlicensed platforms. The ROG Rampage II Extreme features SLI/CrossFireX on Demand, providing support for 3-Way SLI."

NZ$699 / US$399

Now although these are desktop motherboard, ASUS's Republic of Gamer laptops also use similar technology. Their new line using Intel Quad Core Extreme Processor QX9300 @ 3.06 Ghz, and DDR3 1066 Mhz on the PM45 express chipset. With 'Turbo Extreme' overclocking able to get this CPU up to 3.66 Ghz!

DC.jpg

Wow, 3-way SLi. Too bad we're all laptop users here! lol

But really, this mobo looks really sick. I want a friend to build a desktop and put this bad boy in it (he has the funds, although I would personally let it drop to at least $200).

Yep. This is brand new technology, so will be pricey! May also stay expensive for some time. But overclocking everything in the system even DDR3 memory which is already pretty quick (after bugs are worked out) is insane!

Bet it wont be long before 3X SLi comes to laptops. well... 17-21" lapptops anyway.

Very nice, but a $400 motherboard is just nuts. I'm very happy on my IX38 Quat GT, q6700 (3.33Ghz OCed) and 4GB DDR2 1066. Its not the newest tech, but still nothing has bogged down my system.

naw, 3 way SLi on laptop would be alittle too much, not very pratical in the building material. more PCB boards, means more weight, not something that a laptop would carry as a feature(brand new Dell XPS 9120301203 with 3 way SLi to run world most graphical demanding game just under 10 kg, while the game is loading, you can do some weight training! with this laptop strapped to your shoulders, you can stay as a shorty in your class---- uh, NO!(no offence to dell)). and yes, too bad we are laptop users here.

but interesting thing is that it is capable of both SLi and Crossfire on demand, as of performence loss, something we might want to watch out for.

Cheers to all

i dont know... once upon a time people were saying the same thing about 3dfx and their invention of SLi. "why would you ever need more than one good video card" answer: 2 good video cards... answer: 3 good video cards...

but i agree.. there does come a point when it needs to stop. quad core octo-core.. dodeca-core? the list goes on!

quad core octo-core.. dodeca-core? the list goes on!

[acronym=10^(10^100)=10^10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0

00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000]Googolplex[/acronym]-core =D