LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Red Alert 3 + Fallout 3 = Fun Weekend!

Guest MonkeyMhz

Guest MonkeyMhz

Wells haloween, and I dunno if ill do anything tonight. Maybe go to a friends or something, but asides from that. At home, I have Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3 waiting to be installed.

So if I don't go out tonight Ill have something to do. And If I do. Then ill have something to do for Saturday.

Ill post screens and the performance I get on here. Im not too worried about Fallout 3 since people say FarCry 2 is a way bigger hog, and I nearly run FarCry 2 completely maxxed.

As for Red Alert 3. I can't wait. Ill install it first before Fallout 3. The first game I got addicted to was Red Alert and Command And Conquer. When i was a kid playing it on a friends P2, lol.

Red Alert 3 has a minimum GPU requirement of a Geforce 6800! which kinda strikes me as shocking, i thought it would be like a Geforce 6200. Hopefully it will run well. Ill report back after Ive played them, omg RA3 is so colorful. lol.

Fallout 3: Im installing today.

Red Alert 3: I played last night.

Well Red Alert 3, passed my expectations. I thought EA effed it up again, but no it was good. The graphics style was decent, everything was good. One thing that was a no no was the graphic options. It confused the hell out of me. If i put everything high 1680x1050 with water high and shaders high it lagged like crazy and the water had a white film over it. Then if i put water medium and shaders high, it ran fine. But then the water still looked wonky. Then if i put shaders medium and water medium and everything high it looked good. But then theres not as much nice shaders on the ground. Then if i turned shaders ultra and water high, everything looked good but it was a bit slower, even when not looking at water it was hanging at like 21 fps, Game caps at 30. So then i ended up putting Water on medium, everything on high, and shaders on ultra and now it looks decent and runs decent 26-30fps. One thing i have to say they did well is the units, i had about 30 attack dogs, a bunch of tanks and some soldiers on the screen all battling, and the fps only drops by 1fps. So they did a good job on that.

But i really think they need a patch, even the menu gui is a bit glitchy/you click buttons and they dont work till u click em 2-3 times.

Otherwise its good, if they release a patch, i think it will be EA's best westwood remake.

I don't like the modern strategies, have tried quite a few but I guess the graphics and complexity are overhelming me :) I still play Starcraft, Warcraft 2, K.K.N.D. 2 and Red Alert 2 sometimes and don't get bored, love the good old graphics and musics. I don't think I'm getting RA3.

I'm a big fan of Fallout series tho, have been waiting for the new one for several years now and gonna buy it right away when it shows up in Polish stores. Hoping its RPG part is as good as combat content shown in the trailers. Waiting for your feelings!

Guest MonkeyMhz
I don't like the modern strategies, have tried quite a few but I guess the graphics and complexity are overhelming me :) I still play Starcraft, Warcraft 2, K.K.N.D. 2 and Red Alert 2 sometimes and don't get bored, love the good old graphics and musics. I don't think I'm getting RA3.

I'm a big fan of Fallout series tho, have been waiting for the new one for several years now and gonna buy it right away when it shows up in Polish stores. Hoping its RPG part is as good as combat content shown in the trailers. Waiting for your feelings!

RA 3 is pretty easy to pick up and play, its not that complex. But yea, i dunno i think its worthy of being the sequel to RA 2.

Fallout 3 was amazing. I ran it 1680x1050 0xAA 8xAF, Everything defaulted to high, and then i checked on the High Detailed reflections and maxxed the land detail slider, all the sliders are like maxxed except actors/objects.etc i left were they defaulted at about 65-75% distance.

It runs inside at 50-60 FPS. Outside usually 45-60 FPS. Runs very well. And it looks very good too.

And the map is huge, i think its way bigger than FC2's.

Nice FPS indeed. Can't wait to get it now, hope it runs at least playable on my 8400 :s

I haven't tried Oblivion :/

What drivers are you using for Fallout 3? I keep getting a crash 2 seconds after starting the app, before the intro movie starts.

Faulting application fallout3.exe, version 1.0.0.12, faulting module fallout3.exe, version 1.0.0.12, fault address 0x000331fb.

Try 178.24 drivers. they should work. What gpu do you have?

Try 178.24 drivers. they should work. What gpu do you have?

Tried Dox's 178.24 custom drivers and the regular 178.24 drivers. Still getting the same error.

I've read a bunch about this problem on the forums. Guess my hope lies in a patch.

Guest MonkeyMhz
if you can run oblivion you can run Fall out 3, it uses the same engine

True, but not in ever case is that true. The UT3 engine is used in many many many games and their system requirements vary.

What they should have done for fallout 3, is enabled a feature to do all shadows. Were it casts a shadow on everything in say a 500 foot radius or something, it would look really nice in all those ruins and then it would give my graphic card something to lag about = ).