LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS Laptop M1530 - Driver Issue with HDMI Monitor

Drakah

I am at my wits end at the moment.

I just reinstalled a fresh WinXP installation and I am in need of a video driver for my Dell XPS 1530 laptop.

I have a Geforce 8600M GT with ID DEV_0407&SUBSYS_022E1028.

I installed the Dell driver from their website and everything runs ok, but I got a few errors playing a game, remembering that the drivers were for a different model, close to the 1530, since there are no 1530 drivers for WinXP since it was Vista based machine with no XP support.

I use an external monitor using the HDMI output, L227WTG running at 1680 x 1050.

When I install a driver from here, using the modified INF file, it installs fine, but upon reboot, my monitor shows at 1280 x 1024, when the windows resolution is set at 1680 x 1050. This makes the display very wide left-to-right, and I can scroll all over the desktop.

If I unplug the HDMI cable, then plug it back in, the monitor then sees the correct resolution at 1680 x 1050, but reverts back to 1280 x 1024 upon reboot.

Uninstalling the driver gives me 1680 x 1050 like normal on reboots.

I have tried 178.08, 178.15, 177.16, 175.80, and all do the same thing with the wrong resolution.

I checked the NVidia control panel, and if I let NVidia stretch the screen to 1680x1024, it becomes all scratchy looking.

So it seems its driver related big time and I do not know what to do now.

Please advise? I dont want to blow up anything :)

I dont see any option that is related to what the HDMI resolution outputs to override it using RivaTuner.

its just so weird.... if the desktop resolution is set to 1680 x 1050, why would the HDMI output push out a 1280 x 1024?

Maybe something in the Nvidia Contol Panel that I am missing to enable?

Ok I have Powerstrip up and everything says its running 1680 x 1050, and im looking at the physical monitor's menu, and it says its running 1280 x 1024 still, all stretched out.

And yet again, if I unplug it, and wait a few, plug it back in, it shows correctly of 1680 x 1050.

The cable I know is fine because it has been working fine with older drivers and dell drivers, so something is up and I dont know what the it is.

Looks like Im stuck with Dell's driver (R180917) 174.31

Its the only one right now that installs, reboots, and shows me the right resolution of 1680 x 1050 starting from the welcome screen.

Just hope I dont get any future blue screens from it.

Any ideas though? Would like to have the most current.

• 3 months later...