LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Check Box Changes

johnjinsf

Hi

155nclj.jpg

I am running 177.85 on my Sony VAIO, model VGN-SZ330P with Nvidia GeForce Go 7400

and Windows XP Pro

As per the attached, you will see that often a black aquare displays which makes it hard to

read whether an option is turned on or off.

Can anyone advise what causes this and how to prevent it?

It usually resets itself on the next reboot.

Thanks

Does this happen with other 177.xx/178.xx drivers?

Is the nview desktop manager on? (you should know if you turn it on)

I've never seen this bug reported here before, so my guess is its a windows problem if it shows up in multiple drivers. Probably not nvidia related.

Of course, if your graphics card's RAM is failing, that could cause this kind of issue...

This could be a windows bug, that may need a repair install to fix since there might not be a fix out there....

You could test that by putting on another windows install and testing with that driver. (if other drivers have the same problem)

not dead pixel, geez, if it is dead pixel, then you would not see it on your screenshots NOR your current displaying screen displaying the screenshot. totally uneducated answer, please check your facts before you "advise" someone on such inaccurate information.

Its not a bug. Its a dead pixel.

interesting.gif

Does this happen at random, or maybe after a given time after starting OS or some application? Does it change if you point your cursor at it?

I've also haven't seen anything like that before. In my opinion it's not hardware related, if so then there would be more symptoms/artifacts. The first thing I would do is disabling all eye-candies, such as context menu shadows and see if the problem is gone.

If not - I'd try installing 178.24 and 180.42.

Edit: another walktrough (an ultimate one I guess) would be changing your theme to classic, then changing the "chosen elements" (or whatever you call it in English) color to some other than black. The box would remain black, but this would let you see if the box is checked or not. But to be honest I rather re-install XP than work with the classic theme...

Edited by Claw

I am running 177.85 on my Sony VAIO, model VGN-SZ330P with Nvidia GeForce Go 7400

and Windows XP Pro

He can't disable Vista eye candy if hes not running Vista.

Morris it would show. It would show as a blank space because a screenshot cant capture a pixel that isnt visible. Which is exactly what happened.

A bad pixel won't appear on the screenshot.

"Screenshot" captures the graphic data outcoming from the GPU to monitor and reconstructs it into an image file. Screenshot is not a screenshot by the means of it, it's not a snapshot of things being actual displayed on your screen, like if you made a photo of it with a camera...

Let's say you had stabbed your LCD with a knife and then made a screenshot and opened it on another computer - it would still show a proper image like if your LCD was brand-new.

Anyway, a checkbox is not pixel-size. A checkbox is made of about 128 pixels I think, so a single bad pixel wouldn't change much.

Okay, let's try to help the man instead of offtopping :P

Edited by Claw

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far to my posting.

This occurs at no particular interval or from what I can see after any particular event.

A friend had suggested to me that it would happen after I had watched a video, but that is not the case.

I have been checking the taskbar every few minutes to see if it is correct or not and I also posted in

the Windows XP General Newsgroup.

When I get the chance I'll install a different driver

I'll update here when/if I have some news

Thanks again for your replies - much appreciated.

On WXGA the dead pixels will show up in the screenshot.

Sort of true. A stuck or dead pixel on an LCD screen would be transparent to a screen capture. However, if there was a problem with the camera imagining chip (CCD) then the resulting video transmitted to the display would in fact show up in a screen capture.

It is possible and not uncommon for a CCD to have some pixels not work. In most cases, they are off and we do not notice, or it only samples part of the RGB and not all three. But in some cases, its sending erroneous info to the computer or video camera, etc.

That is a quote for standard LCD displays not WXGA.

I can assure everybody that my problem has nothing to do with dead pixels.

When the problem occurs (all is OK at the moment), I can right click anywhere on the taskbar and the black square displays.

I just realised I ommited something from my original post.

This problem also occurs anywhere there might be a choice box where you can check off the box

Thanks

There is no way for a bad pixel to show up on an LCD screenshot. WXGA is a panoramical resolutions standard and I don't see how would it be related to bad pixels, WXGA is still a regular LCD :)

WXGA is a type of LCD. That quote is for LCDs in general not specific to WXGA models. That quote was pulled right from and LCD screen manufacturers support forums. I think they know a bit more than you guys when it comes to dead pixels and weather or not they can be captured in a screenshot.

That quote was pulled right from and LCD screen manufacturers support forums. I think they know a bit more than you guys when it comes to dead pixels and weather or not they can be captured in a screenshot.

Oh please... Since when Mac Forums are "LCD screen manufacturers support forums"? The author of the post you quoted, seamuskrat, is a biologist. Quoting from his profile, his interests are "R/C cars, helicoptors, robots, aquarium fish".

If you rely so much on these "LCD screen manufacturers support" guys' opinions, lemme just quote them:

A stuck or dead pixel on an LCD screen would be transparent to a screen capture.
(you have quoted this yourself, too)
dead/stuck pixels are physical and therefore not apparent if you just take a screenshot of the screen, et cetera.

I hope this ends this useless discussion... Sorry for an offtop again, johnjinsf.

If your going to quote me then include the however. That is a major point and proves what I said.

However, if there was a problem with the camera imagining chip (CCD) then the resulting video transmitted to the display would in fact show up in a screen capture.

It is possible and not uncommon for a CCD to have some pixels not work. In most cases, they are off and we do not notice, or it only samples part of the RGB and not all three. But in some cases, its sending erroneous info to the computer or video camera, etc.

I have not quoted it because it is not related in any way to the topic. CCD is a CAMERA's matrix. We're talking about LCD's. Monitors. Not cameras.

Edited by Claw

uh Whitedragon551, you are really getting on my nerves, I HAVE experienced dead pixels on both my desktop and laptop. BOTH LCD SCREENS, I know what they are physically, and, THEY SHOULD NOT SHOW on your screenshots that is a definite answer to you. As for most of the users are saying that this is not dead pixel, dead pixel is the pixel that is unable to "change color" when it "receives" signals, AS IT DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT, send back ai info "Hey look at me, I am dead, so instead of blue I am displaying red" DURRH, that is NOT how it works. taking a screenshot of the dead pixeled monito does not show it in the image captured file, as I have TESTED it before. I have FACTS to backup my explaination, you? Oh, you have some "quote" from another guy from another form eh? so, should people on this page "quote" YOUR amateur answers too?

Another fact to and rather easy example to understand, my friend has a DIGITAL camera, which has a dead pixels on it, do you see the dead pixels on the photos taken? NO! never saw it, takes pictures JUST FINE!

oh yeah, and like to add, Claw quoted from"LCD screen manufacturers support" NOT some guy from some stupid forum you quoted from, don't turn laptopvideo2go into one of them.

IT IS PEOPLE LIKE YOU SPREADS UNEDUCATED ANSWERS

To clear the very tense air here. The problem is definitely not dead pixels (I will personally eat my shoe if it is) for reasons aptly stated in the above posts. It can be from VRAM failure also as stated. But I don't really know how to be sure. So, I hope you resolve your problem, however possible.

ahhaah, andrew, you are awsome, eat my shoe,hehe. I would probably even eat my own droppings, that is how definite it should be. VRAM sounds more probable too, but I am assuming it is just some rendering issuses on the specific build of the driver, ATi had a series of driver that cause a white box on the top left corner of the desktop if anyone was a ATi user, they probably know.

Morris Lee

Its nice to see this thread get back on topic. I was starting to get angry seeing all the dead pixel and camera CCD arguing going on in my mailbox that wasn't helping this guy's problem.

I would suggest you test in this order:

New/old driver, then secondary XP install with manufacturer driver (in new partition/hard drive or something), then if you still get the issue its probably hardware related.

If you have VRAM failure then ntune might pick it up.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html

You could try running the stress test. It probably won't be able to tell outright if there is a problem but while its stress testing if you see lots of artifacting appear that could be a hardware failure sign.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies.

As I mentioned before, there is/was no specific time interval or function that I could see with the black squares.

A "solution" was posted in the Windows XP Newsgroups which I followed, and I have not had the problem since.

But I can't say definitively that it will not recurr in the future.

This is the posting I followed :

Hi,

I have only seen this via the cursor. Use as a checkpoint?

Go to Start / Control Panel / Accessibility Options / Display.

Under Cursor Options, move the width glider toward the left.

The width glider was all the way to the left, so I moved it back and forth a few times.

I also changed the Blink Rate whilst I had the option to do so.

Thanks again to everyone

Regards

John J