LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fallout 3 Problem

coolcop06

Hi, i've been having some problems with Fallout 3. I play Fallout 3 for not any set amount of time, when all of the sudden I get REALLY LOW FPS for 30 seconds, maybe more, or until I Alt-Tab out and go back into the game. I don't have this problem with any other game I play... I have PowerMizer disabled, GPU overclocked to 660/1030/1320 (highest I could get in FO3). I use GPU-Z to check my GPU and there is no downclocking going on, and temps aren't going over 77c. I also use RMClock to force CPU to high throttle 100% of the time and undervolted (1.0875v), and there is no downclocking on the CPU either, and temps are below 65c there. Its weird, when I get the low FPS even the sounds slows down like its in slow motion. This is really getting annoying...

Anyone else having some issues with FO3, is there a bug or something? Or any ideas as to whats going on??

<Laptop specs to the left...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by coolcop06

The same problem I've got but not at Fallout 3, at FarCry 2 it works properly at high performance but it blocks until I Alt+Tab !!

<------ My Pc specifications !!

8600m gt downclocking issues, not the game, but your GPU's google 8600m gt downclock, then you know all about it.

use rivatuner to force constant performece to fix this issue

it shouldn't be downclocking, because im using gpu-z to constantly check my clock speeds and there constant at high speed...

and besides like i said, my gpu never gets up above 75c, and cpu 65c.

Edited by coolcop06

I had this issue with NFSU2, when using 179.13. I removed all Vista's daemons and services running in the background that I found unnecessary and installed 178.24 and the problem was gone.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Dude, I have the exact same problem. But its not that bad. For me, Ill play the game for like a hour or so and then all of a sudden it will feel like its going like 15 fps, just terrible, then ill alt tab out, and alt tab back in, and back to being perfectly fine. It only happens rarely or sometimes for me and then i just alt tab out, no biggie. However if it happend more often I would have to find a way to fix it, but it doesent happen often so I dont mind it .

I had this issue with NFSU2, when using 179.13. I removed all Vista's daemons and services running in the background that I found unnecessary and installed 178.24 and the problem was gone.

what do you mean? like just removing all the services running in the backround? i usually do that anyways, but it hasn't worked. ill try another driver right now.

Dude, I have the exact same problem. But its not that bad. For me, Ill play the game for like a hour or so and then all of a sudden it will feel like its going like 15 fps, just terrible, then ill alt tab out, and alt tab back in, and back to being perfectly fine. It only happens rarely or sometimes for me and then i just alt tab out, no biggie. However if it happend more often I would have to find a way to fix it, but it doesent happen often so I dont mind it .

yea sometimes it doesnt do it that often, and sometimes it does it like every 5 mins or more! its really strange...

i wonder if you noticed.. it mostly happens for me when i enter V.A.T.S.

Edited by coolcop06

I have the same problem: terrific FPS, and then downright horrible FPS; but it happens randomly, usually in third person perspective. I'm using a 8600M GT card with 180.43. At first it didn't bother me, but now its an inconvenience having to exit back to Windows (Alt-Tab doesn't fix it for me).

I read somewhere that it could be a game problem, not a hardware problem, with talk of a patch that would fix it.

I have the same problem: terrific FPS, and then downright horrible FPS; but it happens randomly, usually in third person perspective. I'm using a 8600M GT card with 180.43. At first it didn't bother me, but now its an inconvenience having to exit back to Windows (Alt-Tab doesn't fix it for me).

I read somewhere that it could be a game problem, not a hardware problem, with talk of a patch that would fix it.

yea, i totally agree. ive changed drivers, not undervolted, undervolted, overclocked, not overclocked... lol sorry, but ive pretty much tried everything besides ripping the insides out of my laptop and putting in new ones.

im REALLY starting to think its a game bug, and yea it generally happens when i get into V.A.T.S., which shows alot of scenery and 3rd person stuff. lol

yea, i totally agree. ive changed drivers, not undervolted, undervolted, overclocked, not overclocked... lol sorry, but ive pretty much tried everything besides ripping the insides out of my laptop and putting in new ones.

im REALLY starting to think its a game bug, and yea it generally happens when i get into V.A.T.S., which shows alot of scenery and 3rd person stuff. lol

same problem here....i wonder if anyone here can play it with good fps?

same problem here....i wonder if anyone here can play it with good fps?

well its not that we (or i) cant play it with good fps, i seem to play it with very good fps (most of the time), but the game has a bug where theres a sudden drop in fps until you alt-tab, restart the game, or wait it out...

Ive this fps-drop too with my vostro 1500 with a (*suprise*) 8600M GT (175.75)... ive this very often in the wasteland with wiiiide view ... and yeah f3 is the only game with this issue! Maybe its driver+f3 related or its only f3 related! Hope there will be a solution ... because the game is good, but with this hardly fps drop and alt+tab out its not funny... ):

Yup happens to me also. But it happens specifically when I'm trading or repair my equipment for more than 5 minutes.

I don't have any problem with other games.

I'm using DOX's 180.43. Wonder if anyone else can tell me your driver.

And anyone that has no problem, please post your driver as well here.

Lets solve this problem together.

Anyone with this problem tried the 1.0.0.15 patch yet??

i have the 1.0.0.15 patch, and have tried 4 different drivers. so its not a driver issue. ive also looked at the fallout 3 forums and there are other people with this exact same problem, so im not thinking its a hardware issue either. it must be some sort of game bug that they need to patch... and QUICKLY!

try 178.26 i had the same kinda problem. this driver does not do it for me anymore.

can you tell me your in game setting? with AA and AF?

this should be fixed with a patch, quickly!!! your sure that 180.26 has ZERO stuttering???

Edited by Spax87

Im Using 178.13 seem to be ok from now. :)

with force constant performance and game medium setting

Im Using 178.13 seem to be ok from now. :)

with force constant performance and game medium setting

Has anyone tried 180.48 with this game?

alexdino, can you set force constant performance only when you launch Fallout with scheduler??

I've checked my VGA speed, it turns out that my memory speed is lowered once I trade with NPC's. Sometimes it happens randomly during combat.

Anyone can help me out???

I think its a problem with 180.xx driver in my case.

Finnaly fixed it with DOX'x 178.24 driver.

Anyone has downclocking problem with 180.xx driver???

sorry didnt look back at this thread.

settings are 1920 x 1200

high detail

- water turned off.

- every fader set to full.

AA x4 and AF x4

VATS does hang for maybe half a second if there is more than 2 opponents to kill.

other than that there FPS drops to 20 when in areas where there is steam.

CoolC06 - did you solve the issue. i got that frame drop using 179.14 after 30 min slike you said. now using 180.70 or the other driveri mentioned and its not doing it. makes me think its temp as the 179.14 driver does run a lot hotter than others.

sorry didnt look back at this thread.

settings are 1920 x 1200

high detail

- water turned off.

- every fader set to full.

AA x4 and AF x4

VATS does hang for maybe half a second if there is more than 2 opponents to kill.

other than that there FPS drops to 20 when in areas where there is steam.

CoolC06 - did you solve the issue. i got that frame drop using 179.14 after 30 min slike you said. now using 180.70 or the other driveri mentioned and its not doing it. makes me think its temp as the 179.14 driver does run a lot hotter than others.

please dont ever say temp again! hahaha j/k, i just had so many problems with this laptop already...

no i dont think its temps, it hasnt gone over 82c gpu and 71c cpu...

Edited by coolcop06

haha... yep.

ASIDE: "message to self. dont mention heat"

no downclocking with 180 series... but crap drivers in general. highish scoring, but just not stable at all.

I see why they have named them big bang!

Hi, as far as i know, F3 has got this Alt + Tab problem generally and it doesn`t depend on your current drivers` version.