LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HD3650 problems

nassevis

do anyone here have the HD3650 256mb ddr3 from ebay? I am having serious problems with it... after a while when playing 3d games the graphics get f***** up... this only happen when the card is running at stock speeds.

do anyone here have the HD3650 256mb ddr3 from ebay? I am having serious problems with it... after a while when playing 3d games the graphics get f***** up... this only happen when the card is running at stock speeds.

Get radeon bios editor extract you vbios with gpu-z and check the clocks there... You might also monitor your temps...

ive done what you said and the card in was actually quite overclocked when in 3d applications.

I lowered it a little below stock speeds but still the the card overheated and the laptop shut itself down, do the ram on the graphic card need any cooling or is it necessary that the heat sink touches the ram chips?

I am suspecting it is because the fan doesnt turn itself up so it can handle the heat.

ive done what you said and the card in was actually quite overclocked when in 3d applications.

I lowered it a little below stock speeds but still the the card overheated and the laptop shut itself down, do the ram on the graphic card need any cooling or is it necessary that the heat sink touches the ram chips?

I am suspecting it is because the fan doesnt turn itself up so it can handle the heat.

Have you tried speedfan?

there is no software available atm that can control Acer 5720's ACPI, so I have a big problem. I could make some hardware changes and modify the cooling, though.

You said the card was overclocked? What clocks did you have?

Edited by Kayldera

there is no software available atm that can control Acer 5720's ACPI, so I have a big problem. I could make some hardware changes and modify the cooling, though.

I have an Aspire 5710G with MR3650HD and there are no heat problems. 5710G is not so different to 5720. I use the original cooling, some normal paste on the GPU and one heat sticker on each memory. I think I should buy some bigger new stickers, because I have little ones, these were for the 2300HD. My temperatures are 59-64 deg. C at normal (the cooler spins up at 64 and down at 59), and 80-88 deg. C at gaming. And I think GPU-Z could't handle yet AMD cards' PowerPlay profiles and this is the reason to get false clocks.

...do the ram on the graphic card need any cooling or is it necessary that the heat sink touches the ram chips?

Yes, it is! GDDR3 could be so hot in just couple of seconds and if the ram doesn't touch the heatsink it could overheat itselft before the fan starts.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Aspire 5710G with MR3650HD and there are no heat problems. 5710G is not so different to 5720. I use the original cooling, some normal paste on the GPU and one heat sticker on each memory. I think I should buy some bigger new stickers, because I have little ones, these were for the 2300HD. My temperatures are 59-64 deg. C at normal (the cooler spins up at 64 and down at 59), and 80-88 deg. C at gaming. And I think GPU-Z could't handle yet AMD cards' PowerPlay profiles and this is the reason to get false clocks.

Yes, it is! GDDR3 could be so hot in just couple of seconds and if the ram doesn't touch the heatsink it could overheat itselft before the fan starts.

Hello,

Maybe the problem with the heating is solved already, but in case not:

You can try to put a so called heatpad (thickness app. 2-3mm) on the GPU. The space between the copper GPU heatsink/heatpipe combination is sometimes to large to be filled up properperly with standard heatpaste. The secondary chips and memory chips need to be covered likewise (with small heatpads of similar thickness). With this there is no need to add any more standard coolpaste on the GPU.

I have a similar card wich I replaced my stock 8400m G with and it never runs over 65 °C in 3D gaming (in fact it's less warm than my old 8400m G that performed only about half as fast as the ATI card).

Hope this might help you.