LaptopVideo2Go Forums

5700 or 7150M?

Mushu

Which one do you guys think is better? I think it's the 7150M because its newer and stuff. But I have a old Alienware laptop with 5700 and I was wondering about that...

5700 specs

Manufacturer NVIDIA

Series GeForce FX Go

Codename NV36M

Pipelines 4 / 0 Pixel- / Vertexshader

Core Speed * 450 MHz

Shader Speed * 450 MHz

Memory Speed * 275 MHz

Memory Bus Width 128 Bit

Memory Type DDR

Max. Amount of Memory 32 MB

Shared Memory no

DirectX DirectX 9, Shader 2.0+

technology 130 nm

Features PowerMizer 4.0, VPE 3.0, 128-Bit Color, nView Multi-Display, UltraShadow, Intellisample HCT, CineFX Engine 2.0

Notebook Size medium sized

Date of Announcement 01.01.2004

Information 130nm, AGP

Link to Manufacturer Page http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_mobile.html

* The specified clock rates are only guidelines for the manufacturer and can be altered by them.

benchmarks

3DMark 2001: - Standard 1024x768

0% 100%

min: 11000, avg: 11000, max: 11000 Points ... More Details

Model CPU Memory Core / Memory GPU Memory Value

3DMark 03: - Standard 1024x768

0% 100%

min: 2700, avg: 2700, max: 2700 Points ... More Details

Model CPU Memory Core / Memory GPU Memory Value

3DMark 05: - Standard 1024x768

0% 100%

min: 500, avg: 500, max: 500 Points

7150 specs

Manufacturer NVIDIA

Series GeForce 7000M

Codename

Pipelines 0 / 0 Pixel- / Vertexshader

Core Speed * 425 MHz

Shader Speed * 425 MHz

Memory Speed * 0 MHz

Memory Bus Width 0 Bit

Memory Type shared Memory

Max. Amount of Memory 0 MB

Shared Memory yes

DirectX DirectX 9c, Shader 3.0

Features PureVideo, video scaling, LCDs with 1920x1200 pixel, PCI-Express, connection for ext. graphic card

Notebook Size small and light

Date of Announcement 01.02.2006

Information integrated graphic card upon nForce 610M

Link to Manufacturer Page http://www.nvidia.com/page/nb_chipset.html

* The specified clock rates are only guidelines for the manufacturer and can be altered by them.

benchmarks

3DMark 06:

0% 100%

min: 340, avg: 340, max: 340 Points ... More Details

just cos something is newer doesn't make it better.

Yeah I agree about if something is newer doesn't mean its bettter. I'm pretty sure the 7150M has 128MB dedicated memory max though.

Edited by Shaythong

He has the right info for the 7150M. You should know :-)

EDIT: Please don't edit your posts when people have replied to what you've said. Thanks

Edited by Galdere

Yeah, and cool thing is that there are two 5700 versions. I think there are GeForce FX 5700, 5700LE, and ultra. I think the old laptop has the standard 5700 if I remember correctly. :)

The old laptop is kinda fat and so heavy but gaming performance was good before I switched to this. I should try using the old laptop again this weekend and compare the two.

Does Vista run okay on the 5700?

Edited by Shaythong

Weird, in the NVIDIA Control Panel and BIOS it says dedicated memory is set to 128MB, oh well maybe I read it wrong. I've already read that article but it's pretty interesting.

Edited by Shaythong

I'd stick with XP for either of those cards.

The fact that it's set in the BIOS means it's a "dedicated" shared allocation from system RAM, not separate graphics only RAM. 7150M is integrated graphics.

Sorry about the editing post thing, I did before refreshing so my bad. So basically saying that the 5700 will run like CounterStrike: Source, GTA: SA and so on better than this 7150M?

The 7150m has shader 3.0 support and purevideo, but the 5700 is a better performer, not taking into account that the 7150 is probably in a better overall spec machine. You are probably right to use the more modern laptop, but Peter is right that the 5700 is better than the 7150.

Please look at the two images of GPU-Z and CPU-Z on each laptop.

Alienware

post-27939-1226013488_thumb.jpg

HP

post-27939-1226013492_thumb.jpg

Performance of the GPU and possibly the CPU might be better on the old laptop, but the newer cards may be more precise, light-weight, and more power-efficient. I find the new laptop with 7150M to be better then the Alienware.

Edited by Shaythong

The AMD CPU is better and newer than the Pentium 4 so expect that to perform quite a bit better (except in games that don't support dual core technology), also you may find that although the 7150m is slower than the 5700, in some games the 7150m will perform better (newer games to be precise, and by this I don't mean Crysis). Expect slightly better performance from the new laptop though and know that it is mostly attributed to your CPU.

Most games and software I use don't use dual core yet. Although in the future I may. I'd use the old laptop but the fan is loud and it clicks (I've opened it up several times, cleaned things out, and everything). It only has 1.5GB of RAM and like 40GB HDD or something. I wouldn't use that. The new laptop components aren't the same type as the old one. The new one works better anyways for now because of the higher disk space, newer components, better processor, and more RAM.

Edited by Shaythong

• 1 month later...

How does the 5700 have better clocks if Performance 3D is GPU Core 350 and GPU Mem is 200? Must because the GPU memory actually has 200.

Edited by Shaythong

My ancient 5700 was a happy overclocker, especially the memory. Core 380, memory 680 was working well.