LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT - updating driver

Maitias

Hey, I'm pretty new to this, so forgive the noob-esque questions. Anyway, I've basically been told by some games that my drivers need updating and found myself here via Google. I automatically just picked the latest build (ForceWare X 178.08) with modded inf, went ahead and installed. All seemed fine until I restarted and was greeted by a black screen, though strangely my other monitor turned on as if everything was OK. Managed to eventually rectify this through using System Restore

Should I be installing a different build? Or am I installing incorrectly (simply copied the modded inf into the extracted folder and hit "setup")?

Some info:

OS - XP(SP2)

Graphics card - Nvidia 8600M GT

Current driver for display adapter - 6.14.11.128

Any help would be appreciated,

Edited by Maitias

Hey Matias, have the same card as you goin, and i've had quite a few problems with different drivers. The most common you're probably going to find is that quite a few drivers for the 8600m GT including even the official drivers for my dell, will cause the card to suddenly downclock and perform at abysmal levels in some/many games.

I still haven't found a good driver from the 170 series, and am hoping for anyone out there who's had similar problems with the 8600m GT to help us both out =)

Try 180.43 Dox's version, and be sure to go into safe mode after uninstalling your current driver and run driver cleaner/sweeper.

Downclocking is a different issue. Searching for how to turn off powermizer might help if needed.

Hey Matias, have the same card as you goin, and i've had quite a few problems with different drivers. The most common you're probably going to find is that quite a few drivers for the 8600m GT including even the official drivers for my dell, will cause the card to suddenly downclock and perform at abysmal levels in some/many games.

I still haven't found a good driver from the 170 series, and am hoping for anyone out there who's had similar problems with the 8600m GT to help us both out =)

Most of the 170xx drivers give me a problem with downclocking too, however the 176.44 (official dell whql driver which i'm currently using and best performance) and 178.13, 178.15 do not give me any downclocking. Try those out