LaptopVideo2Go Forums

7900 GS overheating / fan doesn't work

Guest SOEK

Hi I am looking for the best driver to 7900 GS. My OS is XP and my fan doesn't work, only when I turn on the notebook a short loud spin. (toshiba p105-s9337)

My temperatures :

Field Value

Sensor Properties

Sensor Type HDD

GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures

CPU 44 °C (111 °F)

GPU 85 °C (163 °F) (100°C in games)

GPU Ambient 83 °C (156 °F)

FUJITSU MHV2200BT PL 34 °C (93 °F)

I would be gratefull for any help

what driver r u using ?? or how old is ur notebook u could have dust inside...

have u applied modded inf ? and r u sure that the driver supports ur card ??

pls check all this and reply ...

Thx , Pistino01

what driver r u using ?? or how old is ur notebook u could have dust inside...

have u applied modded inf ? and r u sure that the driver supports ur card ??

pls check all this and reply ...

Thx , Pistino01

driver : 158.27 from laptopvideo2go.com

I am sure that there is no dust inside. 6months laptop

I apllied modded inf.

I am sure about the driver comapatibilty

And what now ? I've just installed XP.

Edited by SOEK

The problem is not driver related I think. You really should fix this ASAP, your GPU is dangerously hot. If possible, try calling Toshiba about this issue.

Is this happening since you bought this lappy? Have you ever modified your fan related BIOS settings or used/installed any fan control software?

The problem is not driver related I think. You really should fix this ASAP, your GPU is dangerously hot. If possible, try calling Toshiba about this issue.

Is this happening since you bought this lappy? Have you ever modified your fan related BIOS settings or used/installed any fan control software?

I have never installed any fan control software. It started just after moving from Vista to XP. I have v3.30 BIOS and I have never changed BIOS settings.

Any Idea?

i disagree. 85 0c for games is not bad. its high, but depending on the brand that could be fine. Some systems run at 90 0c and thats their recomended level. So unless you have any major issue with toshiba wont do anything about it.

insert the cd/dvd that came with it, press F1 and run the diganostic tool. select specific test and test the GPU and then the fan. That will tell you if the fan cycles up at its recomended temps.

when I start playing counter-strike first 5-15min its ok but then when the temperature is about 100C - fps goes down !

100C in games its not normal temperature! Before installing XP it was quite OK!

I don't have Toshiba CD...

hello, I had a temperature problem with my 7900 gs in my dell xps 1710 too. just changed the driver, and nearly everything was ok again.

used the 177.92..themperature increased, and gaming performance decreased (4500p in 3dmark05). Now I'm using the 169.04, temperatures are ok, 60°C while gaming, performance is good, too(6200p in 3dmark05), but sometimes I get a bluescreen ore graphic erros..I*'m just trying to find a better driver now. I hope this will help you, too, just try it and test your temperatures again

Nothing happend :

Field Value

Sensor Properties

Sensor Type HDD

GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures

CPU 70 °C (158 °F)

GPU 89 °C (192 °F)

GPU Ambient 77 °C (171 °F)

FUJITSU MHV2200BT PL 42 °C (108 °F)

ok.. 100 0c is a problem. need to sought that out. if its under warantee then you need to contact the brand company. if not then clean out the dust from the underside of the laptop

UH! I dealt with this huge problem :)

SOLUTION:

I. Flash BIOS to v4.10

II. Format

III. Install Windows XP without ACPI (The fun starts working)

IV. Format

V. Install Windows XP in normal configuration

Now my temperatures:

Temperatures

CPU 36 °C (97 °F)

GPU 40 °C (104 °F) - after 2 hours playing Counter-Strike (67°C)

GPU Ambient 43 °C (109 °F)

FUJITSU MHV2200BT PL 27 °C (81 °F)

Thanks for everyone!

Edited by SOEK

• 3 months later...

The ACPI fix really does work - you just saved my P105-S9722's 7900 GO from an early death like my P105-S9339 suffered 4 months outside its warranty last year. I updated to Bios 4.5, installed XP holding F5 during the blue-screen driver loading sequence (RAID etc) and just like you said, the fans started running (continuously). Then I installed it again and left it in automatic, and the fans started to run when the system was hot and not all the time.

For anyone who has a P105-S931, P105-S9722, P105-S9337 or P105-S9339, for goodness sakes get nTune NOW and check your temperatures. If the left side of your keyboard is unusually warm and the vent on the left has no sensation of air movement after you last OS or driver install, you may be at risk from an early 3d card failure from heat death like I suffered.