LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Microsoft: Windows 7 will run on SSD netbooks

mobilenvidia

This wee snippet came from Infoworld

Netbooks equipped with solid-state drives (SSD) sporting as little as 16GB of storage capacity will be able to comfortably run Windows 7, Microsoft said on Thursday.The operating system and auxiliary files generated by Windows 7 -- including restore files, log points, hibernation files, and temp files -- will require 8GB, leaving 8GB for applications and user data, Microsoft senior lead program manager Leon Braginski said during a presentation at its Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC).

Windows running with only 8GB, now where is Micheal Dell with my Precision M6500 and 16GB RAM so I can run Win 7 all from RAM :)

This wee snippet came from Infoworld

Windows running with only 8GB, now where is Micheal Dell with my Precision M6500 and 16GB RAM so I can run Win 7 all from RAM :)

16GB RAM in a laptop ?!?!?!?!? I thought 4GB was alot....

16GB RAM in a laptop ?!?!?!?!? I thought 4GB was alot....

M6500 comes with 4 RAM slots :)

M6500 comes with 4 RAM slots :)

Holy smokes man I hope you get Windows 7 x64

Anyway I've been reading a lot about windows 7 and several walkthrough's of the OS in PC magazines and it seems like it's going to be able to run faster than XP and run with less than half the resources Vista uses.

its on the same kernal so, unless they really optimise it, its just as fast a vista?

Not my strong point on how OS works.

2010 is the release date so most people would have more power machines by then maybe.

From what I heard they removed of the bloat like windows mail etc etc ??

I hope they still keep snipping tool :)

cant wait fot the OS, if vista is the indication of where 7 is heading.

its on the same kernal so, unless they really optimise it, its just as fast a vista?

Not my strong point on how OS works.

2010 is the release date so most people would have more power machines by then maybe.

From what I heard they removed of the bloat like windows mail etc etc ??

I hope they still keep snipping tool :)

cant wait fot the OS, if vista is the indication of where 7 is heading.

The kernel and all background programs will be optimized for better battery life and performance, I watched the Windows 7 keynotes.