LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9600m gt, potential overheat?

Guest Frederik Schlosser

Guest Frederik Schlosser

Hey guys,

As the title says im wondering whether or not my gpu temps are within the acceptable range, i did try seaching for a similar thread, but came up with no results.

Ive just recently (2 weeks time) bought my brand new lappie from a danish online retailer called Nova Books, and im having no probs whatsoever, except with the

heat, i dont really feel like frying it already!

The gpu in question is a 9600m GT with 512 gddr2 ram

The iddle temp with max power settings on are around 58-60C, which is okay i guess, however, when i play for extended periods of time (CoD4, NWN2, Fallout 3 etc), the temp shoots

up and peaks at around 94C, which is a bit on the high side i'd reckon. Im currently using the v179.13 drivers, with the mod inf.

If you've got any constructive feedback, be sure to let me know.

Thanks for a great site, with great people, been spying on you guys for quite a while now :)

Kinds regards, Frederik.

looks pretty hot for a 9600m gt, I know for a fact that 8600m gt would do that if you overclock to 600mhz or higher, but since yours should be on a smaller die, should be less heat. does the video card has a dedicated fan or is it sharing one with the CPU? what brand? check your vent holes

Guest Frederik Schlosser

Thanks for the reply, i dont know whether the GPU and CPU shares the same fan, if its any help i can try taking a picture of the bottom of the barebone, maybe that could shed some light on the subject. As to the brand, im not quite following you, but if you mean CPU, its a Core 2 duo t9400.

If theres anything else i can do to be of any assistance, please do tell, im quite intrigued by this myself.

Kind regards, Frederik

Guest Frederik Schlosser

Just another thought. Im pretty sure the temps where the same with stock drivers, but any suggestions to a driver that might decrease temps (as well as performance i guess) ?

Kinds regards, Frederik

Hi Frederik! I have a Hp Pavilion Dv5 1120el with 9600m gt. When I first loaded one of the newest games (Sega Rally Evo) I got 90C (!!!) in 10 min ... I quit the game, lifted the notebook back to give better airflow and now my max temp is 75-80C with "heavy" games like Assassin Creed for example (and I think this is not so bad). And make sure to often remove dust from air grids!

Hey, I have a Hp dv5 1050 ek, just lifting the back end a little and allowing higher airflow, made the computer much cooler... this is the trick i heard from other ppl using 9600m gt 's ;^)...

Good Luck

PS: Everytime i run a game, i put something to tilt it back end up, to allow easier airflow (on my laptop, its on the left back, looking at the screen)

Guest Lisianthus
looks pretty hot for a 9600m gt, I know for a fact that 8600m gt would do that if you overclock to 600mhz or higher.

That's not true at all. I usualy overclock my 8600M GT to 640mhz and I don't get any temps above 64 degrees when playing dead space for a few hours straight.

And my idle temp is around 22 for the cpu and 30 for the GPU.

I recomend to lift up the computer as other people has said. and I also recomend getting a program that you can manualy adjust the fan settings. since the fan on my laptop never goes over 70%. While having the program push the speed of the fan to 100% which does a great job decreasing heat.

• 4 weeks later...
That's not true at all. I usualy overclock my 8600M GT to 640mhz and I don't get any temps above 64 degrees when playing dead space for a few hours straight.

And my idle temp is around 22 for the cpu and 30 for the GPU.

I recomend to lift up the computer as other people has said. and I also recomend getting a program that you can manualy adjust the fan settings. since the fan on my laptop never goes over 70%. While having the program push the speed of the fan to 100% which does a great job decreasing heat.

I seriously have a hard time trying to believe that. My 8600m GT idles at around 60-67 degrees, and usually hits 95-100 degrees while under heavy gaming. With EVGA Precision I force the fan to stay at 100%, though it doesn't always work.

Guest Neophyte1980

I'm really surprised at the high temperatures you're seeing. I had no idea that laptops could (or should!) be experiencing temps above 75C.

I have a HP Pavilion HDX9320ea with dual hard drives and an 8800m GTS 512 and the idle temps according to Everest are as follows:

HDD1 - 32oC

HDD2 - 35oC

GPU - 44oC

CPU - 43oC

(core1 - 16oC)

(core2 - 16oC)

M/B - 42oC

I've not checked the temps after running on a high load for extended periods but here's an interesting observation...

The last official HP graphics driver was 12/07 and after running the GTA4 benchmark with the highest settings my video memory would allow I got a rubbish result of 13fps and my GPU temp was 56oC

I couldn't get the 180.84 drivers on here to work and the official Nvidia drivers say no supported device found however the Nvidia ones will allow me to manually force the installation of the desktop 8800 GTS 512 drivers.

I repeated the steps with the GTA4 benchmark and got an astonishing 35fps and a GPU temp of 61oC upon immediately exiting.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm sure I could hear a bit of extra fan noise and there is of course the extra heat. Would it be possible that I'd end up doing my machine damage if I continued to run with the desktop drivers?

No if your temperatures are real; the GPU stands well over 80 C temperatures, but best to stay under 85 C.

After an extended play on GTA4 with the forced drivers my GPU/CPU/MB were at a warm and stable 66oC. I can't find any issues at all with these forced drivers so I guess they're here to stay :)

two words, one thing: cooling pad :) consider usin it

Well I'm wishing for a cooling pad for Christmas.....sure hope I get it. :)

• 5 months later...

I've got a similar problem, except my computer crashes when my GPU reaches 104/105 degrees celcius. I haven't cleaned my laptop, i don't even know how to do that or check for dust and i don't want to make a mistake... I'm thinking of getting a cooling pad, but i'm not sure what the problem is really.