LaptopVideo2Go Forums

new 8600m GT won't overclock and is hot

Tenacious J

i just upgraded my c90s from a 512 8600m gt ddr2 to a 256 8600m gt ddr3 because the old card got fried. so i put the new one in and it runs hot at stock speeds of 450/700 (93 degrees C) and it also will not overclock. i am using 175.63 laptopvideo2go drivers. any help would be great

with that temp i would not think about overclocking. can it be your old card got fried because of some cooling problems? did you clean your lappi recently and check the cooler rpms?

with that temp i would not think about overclocking. can it be your old card got fried because of some cooling problems? did you clean your lappi recently and check the cooler rpms?

how would i go about checking the cooler rpms?

little too hot for a 450MHz core, check your cooler for dust, a STANDARD 8600m gt should come with 475MHz, yours is even downclocked, so you have a really weird card....

What is "hot"? You should say the temp.

What happened to your first one?

Chances are the first had the solder issue and you could have had it replaced free, and you've bought a defective one instead.

Oh aye, sorry. Yeah, way too hot, I stick with the same guess.

Edited by Galdere

little too hot for a 450MHz core, check your cooler for dust, a STANDARD 8600m gt should come with 475MHz, yours is even downclocked, so you have a really weird card....

no thats the 512 version...i have the 256 ddr3 which is stock speeds of 450/700

What is "hot"? You should say the temp.

What happened to your first one?

Chances are the first had the solder issue and you could have had it replaced free, and you've bought a defective one instead.

I left half life 2 on while the card was overclocked for way too long(while in HDMI mode on 50 inch plasma) and it overheated. the laptop is not under warranty any longer either...i found the ddr3 card for 160 bucks anyway. i just dont know why it is running so hot at 93 degree Celsius and will not overclock