LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to change 8600mgt from 256mb to 512mb

Tracy~~zM

i' m new here, and my laptop is xps1530. I saw some guys' 8600mgt is 512mb, but mine is 256mb. plz tell what i can do to change the memory from 256mb to 512mb?

Thx~~

what i can do to change the memory from 256mb to 512mb?

I don't think it's possible.

Why do you have just 256 megs? To cut a long story short, Nvidia doesn't provide video memory for your card. Video card manufacturer does. So an amount of memory on your card doesn't depend on your GPU model but on video card manufacturer's choice.

Let's say you've bought Toyota Supra. Your friend has a Supra too, but he has aluminium rims, a spoiler and air-conditioning. But you both have Supra. You get the point? :)

Edit: The poster above is also right. A bigger spoiler is not always better than smaller one.

there is also a 512 DDR3 8600m in the XPS. This is one i had. But to be honest, when looking at benchmarks for others with the 256 version i though i would have got a much higher score. it wasnt the case.

I don't think it's possible.

Why do you have just 256 megs? To cut a long story short, Nvidia doesn't provide video memory for your card. Video card manufacturer does. So an amount of memory on your card doesn't depend on your GPU model but on video card manufacturer's choice.

Let's say you you've bought Toyota Supra. Your friend has a Supra too, but he has aluminium rims, a spoiler and air-conditioning. But you both have Supra. You get the point? :)

Edit: The poster above is also right. A bigger spoiler is not always better than smaller one.

haha... nice claw.. loving the car analogy!!