LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 Preview

wook

UAC... 'User account control'... Whenever I do a clean install of Vista, I immediately turned this off. It seems that a lot of other users do to, and Microsoft has addressed this issue. In Windows 7 you now have a slider bar that lets you choose your level of protection. (Similar to internet explorer level of protection) There is a level...

"I don?t want to be prompt whenever I change a windows settings, but i do if a 3rd party application wants to".

This is a good addition to W7.

shot1.jpg

Side bar -It?s gone. W7 still lets you put little gadgets on your desktop, but there is no longer a sidebar stuck there. You can have one or two gadgets on your desktop, and not take up that valuable few extra KB of memory to load a whole side bar.

Performance -Well... it's what we all want to see, unfortunately I have noticed very little. It does boot up faster, but for me this was never an issue. I don't mind a 2 min boot up, but what I would really like to see is performance after the fact. Applications smoother and faster to load, gaming performance also. MS says that...

"We are going through a lot of pains to address this issue. Initialising fewer processes, and running them in parallel"

This means that W7 will initialise fewer 'startup' services and process than previous versions of windows. When starting wireless or network applications, the service was initialised and while this happened the application was also started. In a core2 system or equivalent this is not a problem, but if you dont have this, then it will take longer to start this application than XP/ Vista. (not sure that this is a big issue, as in 2 years most users will have at least a core2 processor)

Memory management - Each window you open in XP or Vista, requires more memory than the previous one. So... W7 has been changed so that each window you open will use the same amount of memory. Nice.

No bundled software - You will need to download them from the web. i.e. windows mail, windows writer (wordpad), moviemaker etc.

Paint does come with W7, and has a little GUI (Graphic User Interface) face lift. Calculator is also there with a face lift.

Over all it does seem MS is trying to address the issues that the public has. Interesting to see what the final release will be able to do.

Comments encouraged...

you mean how do you download the beta? I think downloading may have closed. Maybe be able to pick up something through google search..

Unfortunately uploading to the FTP will cause a massive cost increase for us.

Looks interesting, but isin't there are too little improvement for releasing a new OS? Why not Service Pack? :)

Edited by droozel

mm i see your point. they are using the same kernal.

But there are quite a few GUI changes, so to the average user it would seem like a whole new OS change.

: Also note that i have only mentioned a few of the tweaks that i felt were significant.

But i'm not an average user, and i know that they just doing business, not really working on that, done some fancy shmancy things and wuolia, here you go, "A BRAND NEW OPERATING SYSTEM", ... :)

Sorry droozel didnt mean to imply you were an average user. I just mean that for the average public, changing the GUI like W7 has, will be confusing, and may require new training, or buying 'Windows Vista SP2 for dummies'... haha :)

Everythings fine, I'm just angry at microsoft, for their point of view at theirs clients, that all :)

That's exactly what I wanted to see from Microsoft. Good to see optimizations such as these and that it won't be an all new kind of system hog (as Vista was at time of release).

In complete honesty... even though Intel with Core2 Tech is stomping AMD i still prefer AMD... just my OP... mainly due to the fact that for an additional 200-600mhz its not a $600 increase in price like it is with intel

Its sad that AMD is currently bogged down... even Intel knows that some of AMD's tech is worth while... why do you think they continue to look at it since they opened it up for use by others... (Hyper)

as for Win7 i liked the sidebar... what was wrong with it? (i may have a 22" widescreen which could make me biased but thats just me)

also as for the software bundle... how much of it is TRULY left out, i only see like 5 things... and that doesn't amount to much in an OS that is notorious for over 50+ bundled software "programs" (ranging from huge things like Windows Mail to small things like the MSN packages even s*** like Windows Journal or Windows Photo Gallery to annoying things like bitlocker)

- Bundled software: almost all of the software that came bundled with vista is now not bundled into W7. It is available to download for via the web: Windows LIVE

I didnt mention all of the apps as i thought that impression was given in the preview.

- Sidebar: I think users exit the sidebar when gaming or just because they want to get better performance. As i said in the preview its only a few KB so is it really worth it? Each to there own. I dont use the sidebar as i have a 2nd LCD build into my laptop. Displaying CPU and memory usage. If i did not have this i would use the gadgets.

** remembering that this is a beta and significant changes will be made in due course. maybe for better or worse...

They have just under a year to keep developing Windows 7 so I expect many of the performance tweaks will come later on. They are working on optimizing every background process windows uses for better battery life and faster performance, and the Vista Kernel will be refined and optimized further in Windows 7. Can't wait.

I can't wait!!, I love the "peeking they did with the taskbar, certainly may help my experience with my aspire one. other note, I like how they removed the "side bar" since it is so annoying if you play Oblivion or Fallout 3, if sidebar is enabled, you move your mouse to the right, you can see the side bar is trying to change the intensity as it usually do when you mouse over the side bar. and the side bar uses ALOT CPU when you mouse over it, which is also retarded useless effect.

Other note, I like how it has performence increase, does a HT enabled intel CPU takes the advantage of:

"This means that W7 will initialise fewer 'startup' services and process than previous versions of windows. When starting wireless or network applications, the service was initialised and while this happened the application was also started. In a core2 system or equivalent this is not a problem, but if you dont have this, then it will take longer to start this application than XP/ Vista. (not sure that this is a big issue, as in 2 years most users will have at least a core2 processor)"

on such CPU's like Pentium 4 and Intel Atom?

And yes, personally, I just disable UAC right away when I install Vista, i also used vlite with the disable of UAC upon install.

Overall, I am definitly going to upgrade my Vista(piece of junk that literally that's genuine I ever had from MS, as it came with my laptop. Other Windows' were bought by my dad or given to me, later I just started using the crackes, since I reinstall too often.)

Cheers to all~

Morris Lee

Well if Im honest Im perfeclty alright with the sidebar and I hope it will be able to be downloaded and of course optimised or at least able to fix gadjets to that side of the screen I work with people from 3 different times zones and having the appropriate digital clocks there along with othe usefull tools for easy acces its great except this time there should be more gadjets by MS.

Programs wise Im happy that windows 7 only brings the bare essentilas but on the other hand does that mean regardless of how advance a MS OS becomes that we still restricted to a well two network only messenger like msn and yacraphoo or is MS moving to the multi protocol messenging with the full panached and flair they actulyy deliver? That is what I want to see the end to archaic battles. Because if you ask me then I really only use msn for familly video chat i really not a fanboy of skype. Aslo I would like to see that when i choose a default browser that only that browser is opened. not anything else. I dont mind IE 7 or 8 or whatever but whenI want to change it for something else I should be allowed to... Its my money, its mine, I should be able to do whatever I liek with it even if that means MS psota a massive discalimer saying use this and suffer at you own peril adn dont actually try to infest us with viruses and others and them blame it on someone else.

Same goes for choice of Browser are we restricted yet again by a monopolistic quality that MS restrcic other browser to 1) access some of their Networks and 2) Make sure that even when these browsers that when do work they fail as much as possible with 404 errors and unavailable response?

This is really my interest.

Also while on the window comment made on original post as anyone ever noticed that when you inniciate a new transfer so far you get a new transfer window that in comparison with linux just adds anew progress bar to the existing windows consuming less resources the linux way? or Am I alone on this.

That is if MS Still planning on making everyone pay for Linux ..hahahahaha.

Other things is straight out of the box no fuss no muss proper smb configurations that dont moan every other two minutes or even better uPnP support for streaming to all even non Windows clients. After all the world is not made of windows and windows stuff thatnk god!

Boot speeds yea flash haha, dont really make a difference as it was said performance and fast opening programs is the way to do it and dtop all annoying pop ups everytime you connect a usb device or memory card .

Last but not least Im still waiting for My Vista Ultimate with windpws extreas I mean is that it a poker game some totally usless whatsit video wall paper what the heck? Oh some childish game, (Im not a gamer on any laptops or PC's thats why consoles were made and massive projectors.

Security and the ol UAC I like linux beter for one reason it only asks you for a password when its upgrading something or when you go into root mode not every time you press a key... Yea yea I turned off..

Was there something else oh yea is XP SP4 ever comeout to fix the horrrendouds disaster SP3 is?

They have just under a year to keep developing Windows 7 so I expect many of the performance tweaks will come later on. They are working on optimizing every background process windows uses for better battery life and faster performance, and the Vista Kernel will be refined and optimized further in Windows 7. Can't wait.

Oh your post reminded me of something Windows 7 was suppose to be windows Vista... Hence why another alfharsed released by premature emancipation... Ms slats them selfs against a wall... I bet they use to it by now...

oh oh yes I hope SP2 for Vista is released before them and fixes all the issues I mentioned above... Now would be a good time to say I use to be a MS official private tester or is everyone still gonna stone me to death?

Edited by X3lectric

W7 on my laptop

- Uses 5% or so more power than tweaked vista (sp2 beta)

- Does not seem to enable Aero

- Gaming works well (Fallout 3)

- Smart dimming finally works the way I want to work :)

- Slightly worse performance out of my Patriot Warp2 SSD

- But unlike Vista (SP1 and beta SP2), I can resume from sleep mode :)

- Got one update so far

Im just hoping their not going to kill Vista With SP2 and actually make it work like sp1 was meant to ugh Im dreading the SP2 for vista just bcause its not destributed in a full disk a reverse slipstream its pile of dung.

Im not surprised windows 7 actually sucks more juice but then again your looking at not optimised code so that not bad news 5% on beta code is good that means once code is optimised should be faster and should they not bloat it with some crap. I hope that Vista Sp2 will backport some optimised code and better windows management as well as tranfer windows condensing like in Linux UBUNTU...

you mean how do you download the beta? I think downloading may have closed. Maybe be able to pick up something through google search..

Unfortunately uploading to the FTP will cause a massive cost increase for us.

It's PRE-beta! :)

Edited by bb10

pre beta is actually called alpha builds then rc release candidates then eventually when evryones has played and not bothered to report test since they most likely all have illegal copies anyways we get a whole bunch of crap to moan about, and around it goes again roll on windows version 2012

here this is how it goes really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage

Edited by X3lectric

Have been doiong a little sniffing about W7.

MS states that windows 7 will use less power to perform the same task as vista.

Laptop users will gain 20 mins minimum!! out of their battery.

(This test was a dvd playback. using the same spec system and doing 3 tests on different systems)

I've been using Windows 7 for a few weeks now, I can't even tell you guys how much better it is than Vista (this coming from a big Vista fan)

The UI first of all has been vastly improved. The OS is noticably faster, everything is really snappy (and to think this is just a VERY early beta, wow)

Everyone is going to fall in love with the new taskbar. It makes such a big difference I can't even tell you. There's no way I can go back to any previous version of Windows after 7....I'm using it as my main OS right now.

Here's an sshot of my desktop:

n50j6v.jpg

Edited by illmatic

Guest MonkeyMhz

Im not against windows7 or anything, but im just not feeling the task bar. I still prefer having the name and the icon instead of a big icon.

Aside from that it looks pretty neat, but will vista users have to reformat and install a whole new os. Will they get a free upgrade to it, or we will have to waste $$$ of dollars to get this even though we recently just got vista.

The main reason im asking that is cuz my laptop came with vista, and I just got everything exactly how I want it, and to reformat. And backup everything and put it back on would take days. And i don't have time to waste.

Days...

Takes me max 1 hour for restoring 50GB files to any/various places I want from 1 OS to another using Acronis True Image.

Not Even a 50 Machine/workstations/Pc's and in some cases larger subnetworks takes days, only overnight job and yawn! all automated. using right tools like acronis snap Deploy and other depending on the job really. I have to agree with you on the tasbar its a bit linuxy to me so far I like linux as well as windows but I preferred them for different reasons.

My biggest beef with windows 7 is going to be 1) thats what Vista should have been 2)the gadjet wild about the place I hope you can snap them in to position 3) I hope that they use the same method of file tranfer windows that UBUNTU uses just adds another progress bar to the existing window and not open yet another window and waste more resourses.

Speaking of linux I hope they get theire drivers sorted so I can triple boot quad boot to my needs.

Edited by Darmdorf
Removed quote of previous post

The main reason im asking that is cuz my laptop came with vista, and I just got everything exactly how I want it, and to reformat. And backup everything and put it back on would take days. And i don't have time to waste.

do you have an external HDD? if so, why not use norton ghost? no risk.

Guest MonkeyMhz

Yea ive considered norton ghost and apps like that for making a image and quickly getting everything the way I want it but it still would take time. And im on a very very very busy scheduel. And its just a pain. I will do it if i have to. But tbh I really dont think Windows7 is much different, ive had no problems with vista its been the best Windows OS ive used. I just hope that windows7 is a free upgrade from vista. If its not, i probably wont be buying windows7 unless its performance is amazing.

Ive used, Mac, All the windows since v3.0, many variations of Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris.

And i still like windows the best. Linux/FreeBSD have outstanding performance but, its just too much of a hassle for me to use them and get a tiny bit of performance. I want to be able to play my games, and run all my apps without some emulation or anything.

And it would take quite a while to get my OS to have it like i have it. Cuz even using norton ghost it would take long. I only have a 40gb portable hard drive. So that wont fit much of the stuff i have on my pc. And i dont wanna burn tons of DVD's.

And dont say, oh a 500gb External hard drive is only 150$, i know that but I cant afford to spend any money right now. My whole year wage is going to 3D School and then with the left over im buying myself a sweet desktop pc (which will have windows7 or whatever os is best in June/September).

Edited by Darmdorf
Combined posts