LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 Preview

wook

Acronis True Image is faster more reliable then Norton ghost besides being more flexible and beyond anything that norton ghost can deliver. I speak of 7 years of acronis experience behind me both on development and testing also the Acronis compression algorithm is the most known compressable format to date.. You can fit 50 GB easely in 15GB on normal if you go further and push it to the max maybe 12GB

Edited by X3lectric

My disk partitioning/imaging tools of choice are gparted and dd.

Guest MonkeyMhz

X3lectric thanks for the info. Thats pretty dam good compression.

My last question, if we were to get windows7, and then make the image of ur current pc stuff. Would you only be able to create this image for just files or games/programs too. And if you can do it with games/programs which i assume, would it still have the registry files on windows7, because I dont jsut want a copy and pasted mess.

My disk partitioning/imaging tools of choice are gparted and dd.

gparted is excellent, also vista has a good built in one also

Evryone has theire favorites what we have to consider here in this guys possible need is the best solution minimum grief.

Guest Soccerguy

For some of the people making comments saying it should just be a service pack and not a new OS release I suggest you read up a little bit more about it before making your comments. Also the guy who asked if he would have to pay for it after just getting vista, vista will have been out for over 3 years when Windows 7 is released its not like they are releasing it so closely to vista. One thing the poster should of commented (although maybe it is not fully optimized yet) is it is supposed to require 50% less memory then vista and less hard drive space although it will have new features and UI improvements. It will be capable of running on netbooks which they were having problems with running vista on so it says something about the system requirements of the new OS. It is also supposed to have optimization for SSDs although like said before its still has a way to go before release. There are a bunch of other UI tweaks but you can just check it out yourself if you want at www.windows7news.com just had to put this up cus it is annoying reading people complaining about something they haven't even looked into themselves. Personally I haven't upgraded to vista yet as I wanted to save my memory for gaming seems like the memory requirements will be better on this so I will finally upgrade. Personally my favorite thing about it though is the taskbar. Peace!

I just remembered about the rules of how to conduct yourself on the internet... :)

Guest Soccerguy

Edit to my previous post about the memory consumption:

Claiming 50-percent less graphics memory consumption per open window, despite offering higher-resolution and more richly animated thumbnails and previews

Also note about removing sidebar: I read the purpose for removing it wasn't to save memory it was for people using smaller monitors and laptops to save screen space.

Edited by Darmdorf
Removed quote of previous post

Windows Vista is somehow slower for me then when using Windows XP on this particular GPU. I personally like the new features that are included by default.

Like the new sidebar, better 64bit support, the new clock/calendar, and of course the new architecture. I once got a game to work pretty well on Vista before but I'm not sure how I did it a while time ago. :)

Hopefully Windows 7 clears up some Vista problems people are having at the moment. From what I know there will be better multi-core processor support and optimizations. At first people thought XP was hard to use, but as the years went by they liked it more than Vista. Then Microsoft created Vista and now they can learn from their current mistakes and fix them in the next version, and the next, and the next. No operating system will be impeccable.

Edited by Shaythong

mmm... when a new operating system comes out it has to give support for up and coming hardware. eg USB 3.0 that will be introduced about the same time as W7 comes out. (obviously a bad example as support for USB 3 will be easy to incorporate)

Never the less, new hardware is continually being incorporated into laptops/ desktops so the OS has to give support for these, adding to the resources necessary. 98se used to be fantastic but when it first came out it was hated. then XP took over (skipping out Millennium which was just a burp in MS developement) which everyone hated too. now we all love XP, and hate vista. when W7 comes out we will hate it, and love vista. Its both dynamic and cyclic (if that makes sense) will always be this way.

my 2 cents :)

Well put, how I see it as well, Including ME which I also bypassed.

Edited by Darmdorf
Removed quote of previous post -- sorry boss

mmm... when a new operating system comes out it has to give support for up and coming hardware. eg USB 3.0 that will be introduced about the same time as W7 comes out. (obviously a bad example as support for USB 3 will be easy to incorporate)

Never the less, new hardware is continually being incorporated into laptops/ desktops so the OS has to give support for these, adding to the resources necessary. 98se used to be fantastic but when it first came out it was hated. then XP took over (skipping out Millennium which was just a burp in MS developement) which everyone hated too. now we all love XP, and hate vista. when W7 comes out we will hate it, and love vista. Its both dynamic and cyclic (if that makes sense) will always be this way.

my 2 cents :)

I not sure if I want to agree with you because what you just wrote is incredible logic and insigtful or just because people are sick and tired of having a Major OS release that for many costs a great deal of money to get and is half arsed baked from a company that big contains so many bugs and it takes them so long to patch them properly they never really finish the job properly. ( And then those that download and never pay a cent for their MS OS's and still moan anyway)

For those that Say that Vista is slower then XP its true if your running it on a archaic piece of harware that fulfill minimum requirements just about or barely just above the mark. I know I have quadcore machines runnig vista dual core machines running vista and old AMD 3200+ 2GB Ram 256 WDDM leadteak video card running vista all ultimate flavout and all run aero without any hacks erm my AMD platform is a prime example how much slower vista is vs XP on that machine since Im quad booting it for sofware testing purposes as I I do with the quad core as well. I cant expect Vista to perform as well on a 5/6 year old machine even though its a white box high performance purpose built at the time.

Having said that I really dont see so many people like wook say people hate for the sake of hating nothing else (probably because they have nothing better to do or havet found the right thing to hate.

Me I rather wait than hate. And I found better things to hate.

At 36 and a bit I decided to start my own bussiness because of that new found hate and those that have jobs or work for someone and are the over 25 knwon what Im talking about. but that hardly something worth veering off in this topic.

As for new harware and usb 3 well I though PCI-e was the way to go But then again Im still a fan of networked equipment vs anything else. Roll on 10 giga nics and gadgets.

Edited by X3lectric

yeah i agree totally. i actually like vista and it runs better on my machine than XP does. Dont have any issues with lag in aero and internet explorer like others say. But i guess i do have a pretty new laptop so new hardware is probably the reason for this. vista incorporates everything that i need to run this latop as it was ment to. But in know in my old XPS 1530.. well not that old really (9 months), XP ran a little bit faster than vista did.

I hear a lot of comments about how crappy vista is. and my 2 cents is why I think that is the case.

Kind of harsh i guess, as i was saying that most users (not any members from our site obviouslly) :) are entry level and dont know what they are saying.

anyone care to comment on what i am saying? haha

You already know my feelings around this vista vs Xp Ill just say it again that the inly unfortunate isse about any MS products is that as a past official beta tester for almost 10 years I realized that all these reat ideads and suggetions were shut down the moment it involved being brave and producing a product that would really challenge the competition at all level open source and closed source but instead of going for the nut and craking it thy just smashed it beyong any recovery.

If we were to maturely discuss the limitations of the MS imposes on use the users are beyond a joke now IMO 21ST century and we are forced to use all MS stuff not just OS, the only thing Microsoft did right is to allow any email from any where to be registered as a passport ID so you can use it on their Networks, perhaps its time Ms does the same for free with other programs like Firefox/opera etc...#

Next subject is messaging I mean what up wiyh only yahoo and msn what about all other open protocols how about getting them all into one so I can stop installing 5 programs to do one job. n the end I one use MSN for the video audio abilities and because my family are old and not computer savvy. otherwise...

I still Like MS they just do great products and execute them badly. I mean has anyone been able to download a genuine ISO of Vista with SP1 or XP with SP3 all from microsoft? no? why not...

Meaning that Windows XP sp2 was and is a great os IMO leave sp3 out I know first hand certain configs and hardware will feel the rage of the ommisions, Vista I love it on my quad and dual core Machines but theire SLI beast with 8 GB and 4GB ram + multi TB Nas storeage and a complex full draft N 300Mbps mix and gigabit cat 6 shielded wire,

I also agree with that comment many people here may know a lot about computers and internet but the experience you only get with participating in projects and knowing how things work inside out anyone that makes that comment XP is faster than vista is probably staving vista and a starvig os is gonna get week and die!

On a completly different not if all the software the his made for windows /drivers and everything else was available on Linux Im sorry my Bill the only thing you see on me using MS is just to see what things are comming about.

Edited by Darmdorf
Removed quote of previous post

Guest MonkeyMhz

X3lectric, I totally agree too.

And hey, uve been a beta tester for 10+ years. Wow. Thats a long time. Maybe ill release the trailer and a demo of my game im making on here when its done, (it uses OpenGL) next gen of course. Or at least trying to be (and yes ive made my own game engine). = P

Good comments going on here.

I agree, MS do have somewhat of a monopoly on operating software (for entry/ mid level users, using anything else would be too hard. even for me i choose vista/XP/W7 as it just has more support for software) giving products that MS make an advantage as they will always be supported and 100% compatable.

X3lectric, I totally agree too.

And hey, uve been a beta tester for 10+ years. Wow. Thats a long time. Maybe ill release the trailer and a demo of my game im making on here when its done, (it uses OpenGL) next gen of course. Or at least trying to be (and yes ive made my own game engine). = P

Im not a spring chicken anymore though excuse the bad spelling after 80 hours no sleep and my English not being first language and all gets a bit muddled. 10 Years is not such a long time it went by really fast after 25 mate its all down hill fast before you know it your 30, 35 and lets stop there before I die right here. :) I still test for others but not MS anymore I tired of the same old same old. Whta made me give up is their seemingly never endless fight want to force everyone to use their products and no one elses without making a real effort to make the necessary changes so as to keep the customer coming back for more, becaue they want to not because they have to. this is the case with most of their products, we just have to. thats the way I starting feeling.

On another note Im not so much of a gamer type but I wouldnt mind seeing the Vid for your Game wip.

And if you know some other coders that want to do some opensource work send them my way I have two projects that need some TLC