LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce FX 5200 and GeForce 8500 GT on Vista Machine

livingwaters

I am trying to run 3 displays, two off one card, one off the other. The issue is that Vista 32 requires both cards to run off the same driver. This is easily gotten around using the modded INF files here. The problem I am having is finding a driver that will actually run the FX 5200 in vista. All of the drivers I've tried end up giving a yellow ! flag on the 5200, and work fine on the 8500.

Any help?

EDIT - I've learned that the 98.16 driver should work for the 5200, but I'm not sure if such an old driver will work with the 8500 GT, does anyone know before I try it tomorrow?

Edited by livingwaters

The latest drivers that will run the FX 5200 in Vista are 98.13, 98.15, and 98.16. I'm hearing good things about 98.16, so you might want to start there.

98.16 doesn't have a modified INF so I didn't try to get it to run my 8500 GT. The 98.13 however does have a modified INF. It appears to install correctly but after the reboot it is flagged and has the error 43. Is this a direct x issue?

You can use the modded inf for 98.13 with 98.16 - just overwrite the version line with the line from the original 98.16 inf.

If that doesn't fix your error 43, look for any other information that might help us troubleshoot it.

Also, I'm not sure about the driver's ability to work with your 8500 GT. Your two cards are extremely far apart in capability and driver requirements. I would worry that even if the driver works, you might not get the full benefit of your 8500 GT.

Sucked it up and ixnayed the 5200. I bought an 8400 GS to go with the 8500 GT, works flawlessly with a 179.xx driver. Not sure which card is the better of the two though. I think the 8500.