LaptopVideo2Go Forums

drivers for 8400m gs on a dell vostro 1510 laptop

Bryton

hi guys,

can you guys please recommend me some drivers for my dell vostro 1510 laptop with the 8400m gs card in it.

i am new and i really dont know where to look

thanks in advance

-bryton :)

Hey there,

Vostro 1400, same graphic card here.

I just tried the 178.24 drivers and all I got was a max 640x480 resolution plus 4 Bit color resolution - so I suppose not to try these drivers ;-)

aaaand tried another one: 167.57 from here - same results.

Before opening a new topic, maybe somebody knowledgeable reads this. Am I doing something wrong when I get max 640x480 resulution+4bit color depth or is the driver just not compatible? In the settings window all other settings (32bit 1280x800 resolution) are available, but when applying them, the LCD flickers and reverts back to 640x480.

Maybe I am just doing some stupid error. I do the updates via the "have disk" method. Right now I am still stuck with the original 156.83 firmware which you can download from the Dell website for the NVidia 8400M GS card. The thing is I NEED to upgrade due to a rendering "feature" in Photoshop CS4, which is broken with the current firmware (as described here)

this is how i got it to work:

1. Download the video driver from dell and a modded inf file from this site

2. Extract the dell file

3. In the folder extracted, open the only .inf file and open the modded inf file downloaded from this site

4. Replace the CatalogFile line in the modded inf file to the CatalogFile line in the dell inf file.

5. Put the modded inf in the dell folder.

6. Rename or delete the dell inf taking note of its name.

7. Rename the modded inf so it has the same name the dell inf had.

this is how i got it to work:

1. Download the video driver from dell and a modded inf file from this site

2. Extract the dell file

3. In the folder extracted, open the only .inf file and open the modded inf file downloaded from this site

4. Replace the CatalogFile line in the modded inf file to the CatalogFile line in the dell inf file.

5. Put the modded inf in the dell folder.

6. Rename or delete the dell inf taking note of its name.

7. Rename the modded inf so it has the same name the dell inf had.

Understood, but where does the NEW driver come in here? Dell does NOT offer the latest drivers... In step 5 you want us to put Dell inf into the new driver from this website or what?

• 8 months later...

hi guys,

can you guys please recommend me some drivers for my dell vostro 1510 laptop with the 8400m gs card in it.

i am new and i really dont know where to look

thanks in advance

-bryton :)

I got the same chip and 169.28 or Dox Optimized 178.24 work very good for me. Currently using 169.28 since it works better with WoW. If you don't overclock you might also try the newest 190.62.

@moontear:

181.20 will fix your problem and work good.

@_not good at tech_

Read FAQ/quick guide.

i am using dell vostro 1510. i want to use a resolution of 1280 x 1024 for some programme. but the available resoultion is 1280 x 800.

can anyone help me out

I don't recommend forcing higher res, if it's not supported by your LCD. You can screw up your monitor.

Go to nVidia control panel, you can force the resolution in Manage custom resolutions/Change resolution screens (you need to turn on access to advanced settings to get there).

RivaTuner can also do that. Driver settings > Customize... > Custom display modes/refresh rates wizard.