LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus G50VT-X1

Thanatopsis

Hi, guys.

I've been using this forum for about 2 years for downloading the latest Laptop Video Drivers. Thank you very much for the updates.

I have just purchased an ASUS G50VT-X1 Laptop yesterday from Best Buy and am thoroughly impressed by the performance so far at playing Crysis. In plugged in, the laptop is allowed to run at its peak performance yet in battery mode, the speeds are downclocked (to save power obviously) but cannot be controlled at all. IE. Regardless of the processor speed and GPU power options I set in Battery mode, the laptop will just run slowly.

My belief is that this is strictly a limitation imposed upon GPU drivers. I've had this experience before with my previous laptop A8JS (Geforce Go 7700) where installation of a video driver later than 174.31 (Vista 32) would cause it to run slowly in battery mode regardless of GPU and Processor Power options for battery mode. Driver 174.31 and earlier versions would allow the user to run at set processor speeds and GPU speeds while unplugged without being overridden.

Would anyone know which driver would remove performance limitations for my laptop while running in Battery mode?

Thanks.

System Specifications

And to clarify, the G50VT-X1 has a Geforce 9800M GT :P

I've read numerous sources and websites (including Asus' own) saying it was a GS card :) :)

Edited by Thanatopsis

Whoa, that's a pretty beefy notebook there :)

To disable the Powermizer that constantly throttles your graphics card when in battery mode, there is a mini-application that can help solve your problems. Only thing is I'm not sure whether the switcher works for Vistax64, so I'll let other members of the forum confirm this first.

the Powermizer that constantly throttles your graphics card when in battery mode

It slows it down*

Try the PowerMizer Switch from my sig. Set it to max performance on battery.

It slows it down*

Try the PowerMizer Switch from my sig. Set it to max performance on battery.

Thanks for the link.

It works well on my laptop :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmendoza61@gmail.com
Thanks for the link.

It works well on my laptop :)

I purchased the Go50VT-X! as a X-mas gift for my son. how has the powermizer worked so far? Any problems? Are you aware of the optional 9 cell battry? Do you know what the part Number is or where I can get it? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr. Gusty
I purchased the Go50VT-X! as a X-mas gift for my son. how has the powermizer worked so far? Any problems? Are you aware of the optional 9 cell battry? Do you know what the part Number is or where I can get it? Thanks.

Where can I get the latest driver update? The geforce sent me to Asus website but I haven't been able to find it on there (I'm pretty computer illiterate) do I just download the driver and that's it if and or when I find it?

And I do want to know...is there a 9 cell battery available? Google so far has led me to plenty of websites that do not help : /

I don't know if this is still common with gaming notebooks, but with my old XPS Gen 2, there was no way to run the GPU at full speed on battery because the battery simply couldn't provide enough wattage to the GPU. I imagine this is what's going on with yours.

• 1 month later...
And to clarify, the G50VT-X1 has a Geforce 9800M GT :unsure:

I've read numerous sources and websites (including Asus' own) saying it was a GS card :) :)

Dude you are a noob i know that every thing says it is a gt but it is in fact a gs. the gt has 96 shaders while the gs only has 64. and the gt has a higher clock. if you get the nvidia notebook beta driver it shows the correct model. :P