LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclock 9600M GT to a 9700M GT

ninja_pig

MANNNNN stop it allready..... When reading this post, fells like i'm watching 10 years old boys arguing about whose superheroes is better.

There is no exact measurement in overclock. You may get a better batch of chip and you may not. Not everyone can overclock to the same level.

Why does NVIDIA differentiate the 9600m GT and 9700m GT is because the 9600m GT chip simply not as stable as the 9700 GT. They even have the 9650m GT.

IF the 9600m GT sells very well and they just don't have any chip stock, then they'll made a downclocked 9700m GT to fullfil the market. But hell, how'd you know which one is yours??????

This actualy happenned in the older generation of GeForce era where they simply disabled some pixel shader because the mainstream graphic card just sell very well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninja_pig

• Galdere

• melon

• nbsi2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should i overclock my 9600M like the OP? Any other opinions?

You can overclock up until your graphic card shows BSOD or black screen or artifac.

Just keep in mind, higher clock = higher temps = less lifetime for the internal component.

Temps highly depend on your laptop design. Some has adequate cooling, some don't (like Apple).

You also might want to add laptop cooler which, in my case, can bring down temps up tp 10C including CPU.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Asus M50Vn that has a 9650m gt a few weeks ago and i was :) to see that the clock speeds were lower than the 9600mGT.

The default freqs (as shown in riva tuner are: 400/ 800 / 400), that might explain why this laptop is so cool. But it also explains why the performances while gaming arent too crazy.

Anyone knows if there is a special reason why the clocks are set so low?

Edit:Checked through nvidia control pannel and it tells me 550 for the core, 1375 for the shaders and 400 for memory ( 800 data rate). Heard that riva tuner didnt always have the right values, but its totally off for me. Any ideas? I'm using dox's latest drivers.

Edited by Beaverlegions

hi, im also trying to overclock my 9600m gt from the BIOS. but my freakin laptop (MSi GX720) ain't booting up from my usb pen drive or CD. How the F do i get it to boot from my disc or usb? nothing works!! :)

hi, im also trying to overclock my 9600m gt from the BIOS. but my freakin laptop (MSi GX720) ain't booting up from my usb pen drive or CD. How the F do i get it to boot from my disc or usb? nothing works!! :)

nvm i got it to work thanks to dox's thread. BIOS overclocking ftw (cuz software overclocking doesnt support laptop gpus and therefore sucks)

Just remember not to go too overboard with the overclocking folks, i raised my core clock and shaders by 50mhz, and that's all that's needed really. played COD5 for a bit though i did notice the dusty smoke effects in the japanese campaign flash which was kinda weird. other than that no problems, and most importantly 30+ frames in max settings! (w/ a toned down res)

nvm i got it to work thanks to dox's thread. BIOS overclocking ftw (cuz software overclocking doesnt support laptop gpus and therefore sucks)

Just remember not to go too overboard with the overclocking folks, i raised my core clock and shaders by 50mhz, and that's all that's needed really. played COD5 for a bit though i did notice the dusty smoke effects in the japanese campaign flash which was kinda weird. other than that no problems, and most importantly 30+ frames in max settings! (w/ a toned down res)

forgot to mention temp around 60c when gaming and 40c in idle mode. Thanks to dox for his walkthrough.

I

The default freqs (as shown in riva tuner are: 400/ 800 / 400), that might explain why this laptop is so cool. But it also explains why the performances while gaming arent too crazy.

Edit:Checked through nvidia control pannel and it tells me 550 for the core, 1375 for the shaders and 400 for memory ( 800 data rate). Heard that riva tuner didnt always have the right values, but its totally off for me.

550/400(800) are the supposedly correct figures, RivaTuner may not be up to date with this combo yet.

RivaTuner works with every driver except there might be some quirks with unsupported drivers - which I never found - meaning wrong figures on MHz sliders and default clocks. I've used it with every driver since 4 years, probably 200+ different.

That tells more shaders and 256bit memory bus width can get higher performance than increase colck speed of core and memory

Are you sure high shader clock do nothing to game ??

Have you thought of change the device id to 064A(9700M GT)to let system think there is a 9700M GT ???

is it possible to change the device id? I've T61p with FX570. i want to the change id to 8600M GT...

• 2 weeks later...
anybody? changing FX570M (t61p) device id is possible? How?

YUP it is possible using NiBitor.....

When you open your BIOS, there is an option to change your device ID.

You can even change it to 9800m GTX though it wouldn't affect performance.

But bear in mind, if you got an FX570m and you change it to 8600m GT, you'd probably lose some FX specific features.

I don't know about professional VGA that much. Maybe anyone else has an opinion here?

YUP it is possible using NiBitor.....

When you open your BIOS, there is an option to change your device ID.

You can even change it to 9800m GTX though it wouldn't affect performance.

But bear in mind, if you got an FX570m and you change it to 8600m GT, you'd probably lose some FX specific features.

I don't know about professional VGA that much. Maybe anyone else has an opinion here?

Thanks for the response. What I'm trying to do get the card fully recognized under osx.

Right now, I can get full resolution but hardware acceleration doesn't work even though

FX570M is similar to 8600 GT (G84) which was used previous gen Macbook Pro's.

My hope is that changing id would make some difference but I'm afraid of making

changes to bios.

Thanks for the response. What I'm trying to do get the card fully recognized under osx.

Right now, I can get full resolution but hardware acceleration doesn't work even though

FX570M is similar to 8600 GT (G84) which was used previous gen Macbook Pro's.

My hope is that changing id would make some difference but I'm afraid of making

changes to bios.

Well, in my experience its completely harmless. But I've never change my BIOS ID though.

Anyone has tried to change BIOS ID???

• 3 weeks later...

Overcloked my 9600m gt ddr3 , with the nvidia control panel , i just took the core from 500 to 625 and shader from 1250 to 1550. ( 9600m gt --> 9700m gt )

3DMARK06 points: default clocks = 5011 points / temp 70C ----- overclocked 6331 points / temp 73C

I use the new drivers for mobile gpus from nvidia - 179.28_notebook_winxp_32bit_beta

And 6.02_nvidia_system_tools which gave me the option for overclocking

I think using the nvidia system tools is easier than flashing the gpu bios.

My laptop is MSI GX701X.

BTW my memory speed for the gpu is 800 and if try to take it higher than 900 it becomes unstable.

post-36316-1234149788_thumb.jpg

Edited by boban984

Guest Stevennickel

First off, it's hilarious how the intro to this thread sucked me into 3 straight pages of forum xD

Secondly, I love how I'm not having to create a username and password and all that jazz for this forum, because I research only about 100 forums a week lol.

conclusion: I agree with the ninja pig. If you can stable-ly (is that a word? xD) overclock your Geforce 9600m GT into the same settings as my 9700m GT, DO IT! More power to ya. Just remember the cooling- everyone knows that. All the info given in this thread was very accurate and helpful.

MY PROBLEM: Don't laugh, but I can't figure out where my bios is located to read/copy/edit it? LOL so... anybody? I've got an Asus G50. idk if it's allowed to post email addresses or not, but I can check that every day. Steven.Knichel@gmail.com is the much preferred way to contact me :)

So I'm mid project and actually in dire need of overclocking my 2.0ghz processor further than the direct console 2's 2200mhz option. And just like everyone else, none of the prescribed softwares worked for me- I tried like 10. So i'm ready to flash this beast and get my framerate higher in PCSX2 PLAYGROUND!!!! woohoo! The videos run crystal clear and audio too now, but it took about a week to work the kinks out. Now the problem is the actual game play runs the framerate down to about 23 fps.

So if anyone could walk me through (or refer me to an in-depth pre-existing walk-through) editing my BIOS (and locating it) I'd greatly appreciate it. (Vista-64 btw)

-Stevennickel.

Here youll find the bios , then open it with nibitor and change Clockrates / Extra , save bios as *.rom and flash away. The procedure is explained in the first post of this thread

bioscu8.jpg

w720.png

Did you try the method i used ?

I did it with no flashing of the bios .

Edited by boban984

BTW ,put 2 CD cases (or pack of cigaretes) under the back corners of your laptopit will bring your Cpu or Gpu temp by as much as 5C, its an effective :) Cooling system

im not kidding.

Ive been doing that with both of my laptops and it does make a difference

Playing Crysis for Half an hour , my gpu reaches a max temp 80 (sometimes but rarely it goes up to 85) . idle its at 50-55C , and this is with the card overclocked to 9700m gt clockrates.

Nice job with the cooling on MSI laptops

Edited by boban984

Hello to everyone here. Just want to let you know that I have managed to oc my Acer vbios (62.94.38.00.04). Tested with Crysis and are very satisf. not that was problem to play same game before but now its more fluid, ergo no slowdowns when more action is on screen. It was ot straight forward to do it but its worth it def.

• 1 month later...

Flashing bios on a laptop video card? I have flashed quite some normal PC video cards, but flashing it on in a laptop seems too risky, because card can not be simply replaced or flashed by booting with another video card.

HERE is a guide, which tells you exactly how to overclock a 9600M GT and achieve same results without the risk.

• 2 months later...
Guest Wicky

I have an Acer Aspire 6935G with a 9600m GT, which I overclocked following these in instructions.

It is currently sitting at:

Core: 700MHz

Shader: 1650MHz

Memory: 800MHz (stock)

In a 45 minute run of Furmark it only climbs to 63C, normally about 60C

My main question is though..how much would this affect the lifespan of the GPU under these circumstances?

I have an Acer Aspire 6935G with a 9600m GT, which I overclocked following these in instructions.

It is currently sitting at:

Core: 700MHz

Shader: 1650MHz

Memory: 800MHz (stock)

In a 45 minute run of Furmark it only climbs to 63C, normally about 60C

My main question is though..how much would this affect the lifespan of the GPU under these circumstances?

It would be impossible to tell because every video card has a unique history. Some are reject versions that failed the specifications of a higher model such as the 9700m GT, whilst others are purpose built 9600m GTs. There no way to tell because every batch of silicon produced is different.

In general you could expect the lifespan to decrease, but then how would you know how long it would have last anyway?

I would say with your temperatures, it most likely would not affect the lifespan of your video card, unless it is frequently BSODing.

• 5 months later...
Guest Happy Nvidia 9600m gt user

yeap, i had the same graphic card of Nvidia 9600m GT and i successfully overclocked it to 9700m gt specs

with rivatuner v2.4 with NO

bluescreen or hitch whatsoever issues.. and my temp core never even go more than 65 degree cel even for 2 hours

of left 4 dead playing... with 1280x720 and the rest with highest quality. (cept anotrophsic thinggy...) (my laptop is ACER 6935g)

i agree with nbis that it "Nvidia 9600m GT" is EXACTLY the underclocked version of "Nvidia 9700m GT"

with exact same pipelines and specs and nano size design. for 9700 http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9700M-GT.9454.0.html

for 9600 http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600M-GT.9449.0.html

and YES! WE KNEW there ARE BETTER notebook graphic cards outthere! DUH!~~~~

although he said "no better graphic cards for him" well, we all knew he actually meant he's very satisfied

with the current graphic card he have. not really mean THERE"S NO MORE MORE BETTER CARDS EXIST~ and things =)

Don't know if they test the chips and give the better ones a higher type number. But with 8600/8700 I can see 8600 to clock to 8700 numbers - but 8700 clocks still 20-25% higher.