LaptopVideo2Go Forums
Longsh0t

Alienware M5550 Upgrade

Longsh0t

Like many people the Geforce Go 7600 in my M5550 went out recently. I first purchased a 8600m GT 512mb and it would not get past post. I then purchased a 8600m GS 512 and I can actually boot into Windows now but after a minute or two the laptop shuts off. I have the older BIOS (2.06) installed but have not been able to install the 8600m drivers because the computer shuts off.

I thought it might have been a heat issue so I tried booting the laptop while it was sitting on top of one of the AC units in my server room at work. It still shut down after a few minutes.

I talked to an Alienware rep and was told that the M5550 can't handle the power needs of a 8600m card (I didn't tell him it was shutting down) but I've read that others have gotten the 8600m to work. Do I have a bad card? Is there anything I can try? I'm at a loss here especially since I was told by Alienware that they can't sell me a 7600 and I can't find one for sale online.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

TheAlien

I personaly think you still have a heat issue. Even though you tried it on an AC. If you have bad contact between GPU and Cooler it doesn`t really matter how cold it is outside. The GPU will overheat. Have you tried the "paper test" ? (Put a paper between your GPU and your Cooler and screw the cooler on. If you can slide the paper out easily, you found your probblem -> An "air gap".

My apologies if you know all this already...

Longsh0t
I personaly think you still have a heat issue. Even though you tried it on an AC. If you have bad contact between GPU and Cooler it doesn`t really matter how cold it is outside. The GPU will overheat. Have you tried the "paper test" ? (Put a paper between your GPU and your Cooler and screw the cooler on. If you can slide the paper out easily, you found your probblem -> An "air gap".

My apologies if you know all this already...

Thanks for the reply. I initially thought it was a heat issue as well which is why I put it on top of the AC vent. I had very cold air blowing directly underneath the laptop which I thought would be enough to keep it cool. I left my laptop at work so I will try the paper test in the morning.

Longsh0t

So I double checked and it looks like you were right. There was a gap between the GPU/thermal pad and the heatsink. I doubled up on the thermal pad to close the gap and it runs and stays on. Only issue now is that this is when it's in idle mode.

I installed RivaTuner and it says my GPU temp is at 71C. Once I start up a game, it jumps up 91/92 before shutting off.

What kind of idle temps are other M5550/8600m users getting? The thermal pad that came with the laptop has gotten a little dirty from removing it and replacing it so I'm hoping that getting some clean pads in there will resolve the issue.

tom omalley

help

replaced the board with 8600m gs it was shutting off every few minutes now seems to be staying on what drivers do i need to download for this?

is your system working now?

TheAlien

You cannot just stack several heatpads. They do not transfer the heat properly from pad to pad. You should go and buy a single special heatpad which is thicker.

Jasperbones

Well, instead of i thicker thermal pad, you could craft a thin copper or aluminium plate to fill the space between heatsink and GPU... and of course thermal grease... i jused this trick several times in my desktop PC with water cooling

starfish

I have a solution for that gap. U have to bore all screw on graphic card to the procesor level, they are too long, i had the same problem & i solve that i that way, 65C on stress. Works great

this is solution for all amilo pi, alienware and uniwil with "robin 2" radiator, something like this:

http://img175.imageshack.us/i/pi1536lg9.jpg/

Edited by starfish