LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrading Amilo M1437g to nVidia 8600gt-ACER BIOS (maybe also HD3650)

mtmarco

Hi ... i'm an happy owner of a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1437G, with it's almost outdated ATI X700 128mb DDRI (350mhz/297mhz, 8 ps/6 vs).......lol..

By now this card can't run many of the newer games, expecially pixel shaders 3.0 and DirectX 10 games.

But the matter is that I've posted and keeped opened a post for about 2 weeks on this forum and noone has answered to my QUESTION: IF 1437G amilo series was really 100% compatible with ACER nvidia and/or ati cards.

If i had been here waiting for an answers, now would be chrismast, and probably it would be the new year, or maybe centuries.......And i've understood i was supposed to do all the test by myself..And decided tu publish results to make also 1437G owners, undecided and not sure if these cards are really working, as i was before, read and really clear up their minds.

So i've buyed an 8600 GT with Acer Bios (maybe are cards taken from aspires) from eBay, and now i'm waiting card shipping within 2 weeks.

However i couldn't stay without doing anything, so yesterday finally i've found my expert overclocker friend has got an acer aspire 5920 with 8600GT 256mb GDDR3 on it!

Then we dismounted his notebook, taked off the card (in very easy style onto acer nb as pnp), dismounted amilo 1437g, heatsink and x700, so we've scraped off some little parts of heatsink, at the point to made the big coil in the upper right corner of 8600GT(the switcher) fit into the heatsink.

Now we putted the nvidia card into the mxm slot of my 2years old centrino 760 amilo, and changed cpu thermal paste, video card ram thermal pads, and created an apposit paste-aluminum(1mm thick sheet)-paste sandwich to put onto GPU die (it's better a copper paper size 1,9cmx1,9cm and 1mm thick, to optimize thermal exchange). But there was only 1 little problem: The acer card of my friend was given without spacers nor screw to fasten it onto amilo heatsink.. :) but no matter for a test..

Finally at the boot the system WORKED PERFECTLY.. Vista was fully working, the entire system booted up, bios working, video image displayed correctly till the first pression of the power button..however we've tested the system for only 10 minutes about, because as i've already said we've mounted this for a test as we haven't got spacers, that instead the ebay guy will send to me(so don't worry in about 2week i'll let you know), and the card probably wasn't perfectly adherent to heatsink surface... Resulted in an hot video card (about 70°-79° in idle!! but a normal cpu at 50° idling) and so we decided to dismount all the thing. XD Some guys tells of using rubber band to keep unified all this big roll..lol..however as many other reported theoretically this card as to be about between 50°-60° when idling, while also 80°+ when gaming.. So stay tuned, for my next found when the card will arrive to me.

In the end i can finally say 8600GT with ACER BIOS seems CORRECTLY WORKING into AMILO 1437G. Wait about 2 weeks to know the final test, when i'll install the card of mine onto my notebook and i'll find a way to get the right temperatures.

Cheers,

Marco

Edited by mtmarco

Hi ... i'm an "happy" possessor of an amilo 1437g, with its now outdated ATI X700 DDR 128 mb (350mhz/297mhz, 8 ps/6 vs).......by now this card can't run many of the newer games so i am going to buy a new mxm card, cause also on mxm-upgrade.com they say that this amilo (with the same pc board as 3438) supports Nvidia GeForce 8600GT and ATI mobility radeon HD3650, only with the modify at the heatsink, that is possible and not that hard...

However while there are those positive informations, in some forums one can see posts of people(however old as 2007 posts in many cases) that says nvidia 7600go doesn't go, or other new gen card (dx10 or upper) cant run on olders nb.... then there is someone that says it managed to get working a modern mxm card on a centrino (and centrino fujitsu just as 3438 also!!) as 8600 and hd3650....

SO MY QUESTION IS DEFINITIVELY ARE BOTH THE CARDS, OR ONE OR THE OTHER ONE WORKING CORRECTLY ON AMILO 1437G??? IF YES WITH WICH BIOS?ACER?

Please answer, thanks

But it's ridicolous no answers?!?!?!? Is this forum alive??????

Thanks very much to all the community for answers... cheers

Yes lol this was me angry with the community, however all resolved as I've said before!

Kind regards

Edited by mtmarco

check out the laptop table http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html

.... Yes i know that site i've quoted the same link also in my first post where i've precisely said that in the mxm upgrade site all was very much aleatory without real people proof saying they've seen these card working into their notebooks.. However all resolved i've done by myself, hope that at least now i'll be useful to others:)

Cheers, Marco

P.S:for facey, as to many other community members i've asked some questions to you in PM, before when i was desperate... however never seen an answer!;)lol doesn't matter..

Edited by mtmarco

.... Yes i know that site i've quoted the same link also in my first post where i've precisely said that in the mxm upgrade site all was very much aleatory without real people proof saying they've seen these card working into their notebooks.. However all resolved i've done by myself, hope that at least now i'll be useful to others:)

Cheers, Marco

P.S:for facey, as to many other community members i've asked some questions to you in PM, before when i was desperate... however never seen an answer!;)lol doesn't matter..

I do not have any PM's from you